Ads

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2023, 08:27 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,138 Times in 1,360 Posts
Default Ads

Can Talk of The Villages find more ways to bombard us with ads?
Old 07-18-2023, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,495 Times in 2,286 Posts

It is getting a bit annoying. Now I’m even getting pop-ups on my phone. One more reason to spend less time here.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-18-2023, 09:10 AM

Funny I'm on a Mac, using Firefox browser, and get no ads. Perhaps download an ad blocker? Same thing on the Brave browser, no ads.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,973 Times in 5,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Download the AdGuard Content Blocker app. It's free. Also, if you have a Samsung phone or tablet, you can also turn on a free Samsung pop-up blocker app.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 07-18-2023 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:14 AM

Yeah, big step down for ToTV on iPhone. Not nearly as user friendly now.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,561 Posts

Quote:
They probably can. But, I know I don't pay to come here, so I'm guessing the ads are paying to keep TOTV up and running.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
What annoys me most is when I click to close one and get the error message that I can't then open what I want to without waiting five seconds, even though the ad is no longer showing.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,003 Times in 771 Posts

iPhone or Apple tablet never receive adds, no adblocker must be controlled in operating system.
On start up page TOTV references over 130,000 users which is used to sell adds for revenue to make this a free site. I don’t see more than 1% probably less of that number posting
Old 07-18-2023, 10:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,162 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
They probably can. But, I know I don't pay to come here, so I'm guessing the ads are paying to keep TOTV up and running.
So how would you explain the ads on cable TV?
Yes, we pay to go there and stay get tons of ads.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,531 Times in 2,581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
So how would you explain the ads on cable TV?
Yes, we pay to go there and stay get tons of ads.
Because your subscription is subsidized by all the ads.
If channels were Ad. free, and subscriptions were at full cost, no one would buy into cable.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,162 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Because your subscription is subsidized by all the ads.
If channels were Ad. free, and subscriptions were at full cost, no one would buy into cable.
Now that would be the best idea I heard yet.
Old 07-19-2023, 05:05 AM
Default Hilarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
I understand the relationship with free sites and the ads that support them, but it never gets old when I try to click on a different "page number" in a thread and the page scrolls a bit more just as I go to click, and the ad gets "clicked" instead of the "page number". Funnier every time.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:13 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,138 Times in 1,360 Posts

With all the ads TOTV must be making a good living.
Old 07-19-2023, 06:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,563 Times in 724 Posts

The ads are an unfortunate and necessary evil because nothing in this life is free. Most do not know or understand the details and costs associated with running a popular website. Everything costs - data storage, bandwidth, support, site design & maintenance, SEO, website hosting, the list goes on and on and of course we can’t for get labor. And, someplace alone the way there is the brass ring that all are striving for, profit. Without the latter there are few incentives for putting in the many many hours of work it takes to keep an online media site running.

On a website such as this there are many ad sources - the internal ads, which are locally generated ads from local sponsors are the ones the content provider has the most control over and for many (myself included) are the primary source of revenue, there are ads that are sourced by the web hosting service that the content provider has little control over and the content provider only makes a small percentage of their gross revenues from. Perhaps the most intrusive of sources are from the search engines that place their hooks into every website and are responsible for most of the bombardment, and while annoying, the content providers recognize that these help drive traffic to their website and that traffic volume (unique users and clicks) is used as an incentive to get more sponsors and better rates from local advertisers, and eventually and hopefully allowing the site to become profitable. It’s pretty easy to tell the sources for the ads, once you get past the local business ads, the rest are driven by these external sources and the cookies left behind in your web browser’s temp folders.

Ad blockers are a great tool but they also work to the detriment of the content provider’s site counts and ad revenues. As far as one platform or anther being less susceptible to ads, I personally don’t see it. I’m working on an iPad right now and on the main page where I started typing this there were 17 different ads in view, I see similar numbers on my iPhone and desktop computers regardless of which web browser I use.

Television is little different, ad content is through the roof. Do you remember the ads on shows from when you were a kid, Gilligan’s Island normally had 3 commercial breaks, one offer the prolog, halfway through the broadcast, and then just before the epilogue, now days you see commercial every 4 to 5 minutes, sometimes more often. A 30 minute sitcom once had 22-24 minutes of content, that number is now down to less than 15 minutes (perhaps this is why TV content has degraded so much over the years - no time for story development, only enough for the cheap one liners and degrading comments - oops getting off topic!).

Advertisers are well aware of your annoyance by the ads and your efforts to defeat them, have you noticed on many shows you’ve recorded there are segments where you can’t fast forward through the ads or if you FF before the ads start that when you do stop new ads magically appear. These are all self inflicted, ad providers working in response to our habits of trying to skip over the commercials.

While this site has many sponsors, it is nowhere close to being in the league of that other local website with its completely overwhelming barrage of ads all responding to the clickbait stories that they produce. That black hole of negativity may (we can hope) someday collapse in upon itself.

Everything comes at a cost that we all must endure, the internet is not free. As the saying goes, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 07-19-2023, 07:13 AM
Veteran member

I've never seen an AD on this site. Maybe they don't know that I'm here.
Closed Thread

Tags
ads, talk, villages, find, ways

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.