14 day self-isolation for those who have been in NYC

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Old 03-26-2020, 03:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The title of this thread is incorrect, the self quarantine requirement is not for people who have been in New York City. It is for all people arriving to Florida on a plane that took off from an airport in the states of New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut. We have not been to NYC for many years, and if I get my way I will never go there again. We also don’t live in any of these three states, we live in an extremely rural part of western Massachusetts where we can stay home for an entire weekend without a car going by our driveway. However, this restriction effects us since the only airport close to us, that has direct flights to Orlando, is in Windsor Locks, Connecticut. I understand the need to be safe and we don’t want to fly anytime soon, but this restriction is not well thought out and is ridiculous. What if there was an emergency that required us to get to our Villages home, how could we even get from the airport to our home and then pick up some food while in self isolation? The Florida governor screwed up big time by not closing spring break venues and is now overcompensating to try to save face.
You could drive. It'd take you less than 2 days if you take turns driving and only stop for meal, bathroom, and gas breaks.

This is about dozens of people, none of whom have been *medically* screened, climbing into an enclosed air-tight cabin with recycled air for several hours and then released elsewhere to do whatever damage their germy little selves can do. Multiple times per day, nationwide (in our case - in Florida).

If it's an emergency:

your house won't stop burning down because you got there in 6 hours instead of 30 hours.

your mom won't stop dying because you got there in 6 hours instead of 30 hours.

your cat won't cease to be lost because you got there in 6 hours instead of 30 hours.

There is no emergency in Florida, that won't either resolve, or continue, by the time you can a) get to an airport, b) find a flight that's actually going there, c) wait for that flight, d) arrive in the Florida airport, e) acquire transportation from the airport to your house.

If your house blows away in a tornado, it'll continue to cease to exist while you drive down to inspect the damage.

And in the meantime, you won't be exposed to who knows how many people that might be infected and not even know it yet...

and in the meantime, you won't infect everyone in the airport when you get off the plane - and THEY won't infect their families when they get home...

all because - Florida asked you to self-quarantine for 14 days if you come off a flight that flew out of NY, NJ, or CT.

Pretty simple really. It's not that big of a deal. Not even if it's an emergency.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:06 PM
Unhappy isolation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill32 View Post
I,m on my 3rd week of isolation and inspite of those not isolating i'll stay isolated until we get the " all clear" So far not that bad...
Me too, but it is getting difficult mentally to deal with it. Sometimes I feel like I'm in jail. Other times it's just boring to stay at home day after day. I hope this will be over soon but I don't really think it will. I continue to do it because I am afraid to get the virus.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You could drive. It'd take you less than 2 days if you take turns driving and only stop for meal, bathroom, and gas breaks.

This is about dozens of people, none of whom have been *medically* screened, climbing into an enclosed air-tight cabin with recycled air for several hours and then released elsewhere to do whatever damage their germy little selves can do. Multiple times per day, nationwide (in our case - in Florida).

If it's an emergency:

your house won't stop burning down because you got there in 6 hours instead of 30 hours.

your mom won't stop dying because you got there in 6 hours instead of 30 hours.

your cat won't cease to be lost because you got there in 6 hours instead of 30 hours.

There is no emergency in Florida, that won't either resolve, or continue, by the time you can a) get to an airport, b) find a flight that's actually going there, c) wait for that flight, d) arrive in the Florida airport, e) acquire transportation from the airport to your house.

If your house blows away in a tornado, it'll continue to cease to exist while you drive down to inspect the damage.

And in the meantime, you won't be exposed to who knows how many people that might be infected and not even know it yet...

and in the meantime, you won't infect everyone in the airport when you get off the plane - and THEY won't infect their families when they get home...

all because - Florida asked you to self-quarantine for 14 days if you come off a flight that flew out of NY, NJ, or CT.

Pretty simple really. It's not that big of a deal. Not even if it's an emergency.
The main problem is that there are too many of them, they are infected and based on interviews at the airport there is a very high probability they will not be self quarantined. So they will exponentially spread the corona virus to the rest of the residents inThe Villages via Publix, Walmart, gas stations, Lowes, etc.
Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvic 1 View Post
The Villages need to STOP issuing Visitors Pass until things get back to normal....
Especially those coming here from New York and staying with Grandma'.
Agree, but there are a few considerations you have not addressed above:

#1---those that own here and are not in need of "visitor pass"

#2---Those that have homes sitting vacant normally this time of the year and would LOVE to see $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ from those that are trying to "escape" high infection areas. Do you really think that if a potential renter paying to escape that owner would decline????
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
Platinum member

Why would people escaping death from NY not self isolate? The main reason I can think of is food and supplies, as long as they can get food (especially) delivered, they will likely isolate. No one knows how important it is to isolate than the “refugees” from the virus.

Delivery! Very important these days. Will help us all isolate.
Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM
Sage

Self isolation or quarantine is BS, the same way spring breakers kept social distancing--the majority of the cases in Fl are TRAVEL related--quanrantine without a means of enforcement is useless
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Self isolation or quarantine is BS, the same way spring breakers kept social distancing--the majority of the cases in Fl are TRAVEL related--quanrantine without a means of enforcement is useless
Nope, according to Florida Health Covid 19 dashboard, majority of cases are not travel related, may have started that way but not now. Click on each county to see stats.

Experience
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

I'm curious about the "Delivery" mantra people use here and elsewhere. Yes, I know that would work for some, but I just checked a quick stat that said in 2018, there were 129,000 residents of the various Villages. Delivery isn't going to do it for the masses.

Tags
distancing, absurd, isolation, plane, social

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.