$19 increase in maintenance assessment?

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2017, 07:01 PM
Default $19 increase in maintenance assessment?

Did anyone or everyone get this increase in their maintenance assessment or is it just my "welcome to the villages" new home owner. I just bought in June.....
Old 08-14-2017, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgroemm View Post
Did anyone or everyone get this increase in their maintenance assessment or is it just my "welcome to the villages" new home owner. I just bought in June.....
The maintenance is usually part of the property tax/bond/maintenance bill that we get around November 1st. My CYV maintenance has been about $450 a year. You must be referring to the monthly amentity fee that is part of your water and garbage bill? Mine was $135 a month in 2011 and now it's about $145 a month for the amentity fee.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:46 AM
Default Maintenance fees

Ours is going up $35.00.
We live in CDD 1.
I believe everyone who lives in this district, will receive notices about the increase.
We received our letter last week.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brugi View Post
Ours is going up $35.00.
We live in CDD 1.
I believe everyone who lives in this district, will receive notices about the increase.
We received our letter last week.
Is that maintenance which is once per year or amenity fee which is once per month?
Old 08-15-2017, 07:02 AM

Once a year. It is listed on your tax bill.
This is not part of the monthly amenity fee.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Thanks for your post.
How were you notified of this?
Old 08-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Increases in community budgets, fees, assessments need to be challenged. Challenge meaning why the increase?
Did they do a zero based budget or just incrementally increase expenses? Did they look at what it takes to stay within the previous years budget (no increase)?

It is not the size of the increase it is the philosophy of budgeting....the understanding line by line of actual vs budgeted amounts....there are some line items that will not spend the budgeted amount. There are others that may have been a one time (one year) expense.

It is too easy and convenient to just raise the revenue to accommodate increased expenditures.
From past experience on community boards I can assure you most members do not approach budgeting as advocated above. They do not understand the budgeting process....they do not take the time to understand what is spent where.....and it is always easier to ask for more of other peoples money......especially if the other people just roll over and pay.

Demand to know why any increase is deemed required.
Ask what needs to be done TO NOT HAVE an increase.

Just my 2 cents. The silent majority is a benefit to those who control community expenditures.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:27 AM

The letter stated an increase in maintenance will be coming to offset road milling, retention pond maintenance, etc. It stated that homeowners can go to a meeting and appeal. I don't think it had anything to do with amenities.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
There was an article in the not to be mentioned here news a short time ago re the CDD1 maintenance increase.

"Community Development District 1 gives preliminary approval for 10 percent hike in maintenance assessment rates."

Old 08-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Veteran member

I don't think it's that bad since it hasn't increased in 5 years. I'm pretty sure that labor costs have increased during that time.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:04 PM

From my condo board experiences (outside of TV) the most common reason for large increases (although this doesn't appear that large) is previous board's failure to budget for Capital Reserve expenses, i.e. save up money for items that need costly repair/replacement 5-10-20 years from now. In my current "summer" condo, 30% of our monthly assessment is dedicated to Capital Reserve items. Keeps you from having to do a special assessment when the road needs significant repair or the roof needs to be replaced.

It would be interesting to know the Capital Reserves of the various TV entities.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
The letter stated an increase in maintenance will be coming to offset road milling, retention pond maintenance, etc. It stated that homeowners can go to a meeting and appeal. I don't think it had anything to do with amenities.
I assume that if you didn't get a letter and you don't live in CDD 1, that maintenance will not be increased.
But that doesn't seem fair if it's for items like retention pond maintenance.
Anyone else get a letter, or just CDD 1?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
I don't think it's that bad since it hasn't increased in 5 years. I'm pretty sure that labor costs have increased during that time.
Folks on fixed incomes may not agree with that rationale.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Folks on fixed incomes may not agree with that rationale.
The increase will be an additional $20 for villa owners and an additional $35.56 for other homeowners.

38 or 68 cents a week.
Old 08-16-2017, 04:44 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Increases in community budgets, fees, assessments need to be challenged. Challenge meaning why the increase?
Did they do a zero based budget or just incrementally increase expenses? Did they look at what it takes to stay within the previous years budget (no increase)?

It is not the size of the increase it is the philosophy of budgeting....the understanding line by line of actual vs budgeted amounts....there are some line items that will not spend the budgeted amount. There are others that may have been a one time (one year) expense.

It is too easy and convenient to just raise the revenue to accommodate increased expenditures.
From past experience on community boards I can assure you most members do not approach budgeting as advocated above. They do not understand the budgeting process....they do not take the time to understand what is spent where.....and it is always easier to ask for more of other peoples money......especially if the other people just roll over and pay.

Demand to know why any increase is deemed required.
Ask what needs to be done TO NOT HAVE an increase.

Just my 2 cents. The silent majority is a benefit to those who control community expenditures.
The entire budgeting process is open to the public and is conducted at the CDD board meetings and budget workshops. There are very very few residents attending these meetings and in my 3 years on the CDD board and PWAC I do not recall a single person asking any questions about the budget, budget process, or any of the line items on the budget. There are consistently questions asked by the Supervisors who serve on these boards delving into were the money is spent and why. And by the way, it's the Supervisor's money too, they pay the same taxes and fees as everyone else in their district.

I for one would love to see more community involvement in the governance of our community. The only people I've seen that show up are those with a specific complaint or those completing the Residents Academy.

When was the last time you showed up and spoke up at a District Board meeting? Or is yours just digital courage?

Your last statement "The silent majority is a benefit to those who control community expenditures." is a personal insult to those of us who take the time and initiative to actually get involved with trying to make The Villages a better place for all. You insinuate nefarious doings by the boards because no one shows up and asks questions. You have grossly over valued your opinion on this matter, it's not even worth 2 cents.
Closed Thread

Tags
assessment, maintenance, increase, villages, owner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.