$250 tickets given out at Evans Prairie

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
Since you have so many doubts, why post anything until you find out the facts. The Sheriff's office has no authority enforcing rules governing environmental areas. You yourself, seem to discount any truth to this story.
What better place to learn the facts than TOTV?

Last edited by perrjojo; 05-26-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Sage

I received this email a few days ago. I thought it sounded pretty sketchy at best. The first thing that entered my mind is that TV is gotten big enough that we need a our own snopes site to investigate emails rumors, thevillages.snopes.com.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:55 PM
Sage

This is totally untrue. The police have WAY more important duties ticketing golf carts going 22 mph and terrorizing the public safety.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
This is totally untrue. The police have WAY more important duties ticketing golf carts going 22 mph and terrorizing the public safety.
Funny - because there is so little at stake here (minimal mass killings) the cops will hammer little stuff. Moreover, it's a profit generator. Maybe I should go on a terrorist spree...just to take their attention off the killer golf carts.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-26-2013, 06:41 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I received this email a few days ago. I thought it sounded pretty sketchy at best. The first thing that entered my mind is that TV is gotten big enough that we need a our own snopes site to investigate emails rumors, thevillages.snopes.com.
Thanks for your report. I know there are many rumors that "float" around TV. It could be somebody upset with seeing golfers in the environmental areas that said something about they should be reported to Sumter County Sheriff's office and the story got more and more embellished to the one currently floating around in an email. Personally, I wouldnt go into any area where there were snakes and possibility Gators for 2 dozen of brand new golf balls. On the other hand, not much surprises me anymore. Remember the black bear seen in the Village of Winifred? Fore!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I heard the same story but he was dressed as a fireplug and arrested a great dane.
He never made the arrest. He drowned when he opened his mouth to read the Great Dane his rights.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Default From a neighbor

I have done my "due diligence" to attempt to determine if "fines" are actually being handed out by "law enforcement personnel" or if the story is an "urban legend" and needs to be exposed as such.

Since Monday, I have contacted:

1. The Villages Golf Course Administration
2. The Sumter County Sheriff's Office
3. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission, Sumter County office
4. Starter booth at Palmetto

I spoke with Todd at the Villages Golf Course Administration and told him about the story (below) that has been circulating recently in our neighborhood. Todd told me he had talked recently with several people at Evans Prairie who should know if something like that had happened/was happening, but knew nothing or had anything reported to them about any fines or law enforcement offices being on premises much less, "handing out tickets".

I spoke with the Sumter County Sheriff's office and told them the story asking them if they were familiar with the story. The deputy that I spoke with knew nothing about writing tickets at Evans Prairie regarding "hazard tickets"; in fact, suggested that their office probably would not do that type of work - rather, I should contact the Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Florida fish and Wildlife Commission, Sumter County - I spoke with several folks and left a message with Kevin Stankey (who never returned by calls) but none of those that I spoke with knew nothing about the story, much less sending their people on Evans Prairie property.

I spoke with a couple of, "Starters" (at Palmetto) yesterday and asked them if they knew anything about anyone being given a $250 ticket, etc., etc. as suggested in the original email. One of the Starters said that they had a meeting recently and no one knew about the "legend".

I can say that I had forwarded the story (on Monday), and have done my due diligence to determine if this type of thing is happening/has happened, but I can find no one "in authority" that knows anything about the story or an incident.

My opinion: Until I receive additional details and can confirm with a person in authority, I believe the story to be "a legend" and I would suggest not passing along to others.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

under55 - thanx for doing all of that work - and - for posting your results here.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:00 PM

None of my work a neighbor of mine did it.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

then, thanx to your neighbor for their research!

Old 05-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by under55 View Post
None of my work a neighbor of mine did it.
Thanks to you both. Now we can see how rumors get started and then are passed along.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default An Urban Legend

Quote:
I have done my "due diligence" to attempt to determine if "fines" are actually being handed out by "law enforcement personnel" or if the story is an "urban legend" and needs to be exposed as such.

I spoke with Todd at the Villages Golf Course Administration and told him about the story (below) that has been circulating recently in our neighborhood. Todd told me he had talked recently with several people at Evans Prairie who should know if something like that had happened/was happening, but knew nothing or had anything reported to them about any fines or law enforcement offices being on premises much less, "handing out tickets".

I spoke with the Sumter County Sheriff's office and told them the story asking them if they were familiar with the story. The deputy that I spoke with knew nothing about writing tickets at Evans Prairie regarding "hazard tickets"; in fact, suggested that their office probably would not do that type of work - rather, I Fshould contact the Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Florida fish and Wildlife Commission, Sumter County - I spoke with several folks and left a message with Kevin Stankey (who never returned by calls) but none of those that I spoke with knew nothing about the story, much less sending their people on Evans Prairie property.

I spoke with a couple of, "Starters" (at Palmetto) yesterday and asked them if they knew anything about anyone being given a $250 ticket, etc., etc. as suggested in the original email. One of the Starters said that they had a meeting recently and no one knew about the "legend".

I can say that I had forwarded the story (on Monday), and have done my due diligence to determine if this type of thing is happening/has happened, but I can find no one "in authority" that knows anything about the story or an incident.

My opinion: Until I receive additional details and can confirm with a person in authority, I believe the story to be "a legend" and I would suggest not passing along to others.
Thanks for your report.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Veteran member

You mean everything you read on the internet is not accurate or true???!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Sage

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet".......Abe Lincoln
Old 05-30-2013, 08:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

I spoke with the Sumter County Sheriff's office and told them the story asking them if they were familiar with the story. The deputy that I spoke with knew nothing about writing tickets at Evans Prairie regarding "hazard tickets"; in fact, suggested that their office probably would not do that type of work - rather, I should contact the Fish and Wildlife Commission.

Good Job and thank you.....
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.