2nd Wave??

Closed Thread
Old 10-17-2020, 12:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Pessimistic and fatalistic and incorrect and unaware of the successes of other countries.
No realistic. You can't even get Americans to wear a mask.
Old 10-17-2020, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane8 View Post
I don't know who you are and what your background is, but your ignorance of CFS is astounding. I have lived with this illness for 30 years. You have obviously never studied this illness. I have. After reading that paragraph, I certainly would question anything you write about health.
Did you read the post? He said that he was quoting from another source, not his own information or view. I believe he said that one of the sources was from Mayo, right? He did preempt the post with the fact that the information was NOT research but some opinions of professionals at Mayo.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I'd like to see the demographics on these 3030 new cases. The last big bump we had was mostly in the southeast and due to young people going to bars and getting the virus.

Where are these 3030 cases?

What age groups are they in? Are they younger people engaging in more risky behavior or are they older more susceptible people?

I saw an article last week that said in since the schools have reopened, cases of school age children in September have gone down.

In a state with over 21 million people and a large area, 3030 does not seem like a large number and it's important to know how localized this outbreak is. If most of the cases are in Miami, for example, I wouldn't be overly worried. At the rate of 3030 cases per week, it would take 64,000 weeks to infect the entire population of the state?

And as the president has stated, most people (over 95%) will experience mild flu like symptoms.

I'm not taking this lightly. I try to stay six feet away from people and I wear a mask when I go indoors at public places. But numbers get thrown around like they are huge. Every day in the online paper, I see 5 new cases, 12 new cases, 19 new cases etc. like they are huge numbers. They are not. I think that the numbers are low because most people are doing what's necessary to minimize their chance of becoming infected.

Another question that I have is about false positives. I have a friend who along with his wife both tested positive. After two days and two more tests 24 hours apart they were determined to be negative and that the initial results were a false positive. My questions are, how many of these false positives are there and are they counted in the 3030 reported cases?
That calculation didn't seem quite right to me. I did quick math, using the numbers you mentioned in your post........

21,000,000 population divided by 3000 cases per week equals 7,000 weeks NOT 64,000 weeks. Were you just making a joke when you said that?
Old 10-17-2020, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian5850 View Post
You realize that the distance between the fibers in the vast majority of masks being worn compared to the size of this virus is akin to a chain link fence and a fly, right?
Here we go. One more time..........the virus does not travel by itself. There are thousands of virus particles in one droplet. The virus also travels in aerosols which are smaller than droplets yet are larger than the virus itself. If a mask can block one droplet from escaping into the air, that is THOUSANDS of virus particles that are contained in the mask. Of course, masks block many more droplets than just one and masks do block aerosols too. Just think of all those virus particles that are not escaping into the air that others breath.

The chain link fence and mosquito is useless analogy. It is laughable, actually.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The mask is to protect others, not themselves. My neighbor stated some study he heard that 75% of the people getting covid wore masks. I said that's because they got it from the people who WERE NOT wearing masks.

For every study, there seems to be another study pointing to the opposite. I go with the first one I read that put the infection rate much lower if everyone wore masks when not social distancing.

I applaud Publix and Fresh Market for their mask requirements.
That is very true. But, it is up to the prudent person to keep their distance from anyone who is not masked. I also stay away from anyone who wears a mask with a one way valve. Those one way valves, protect the wearer but allow the wearer to exhale into the surrounding air. If the person is infected, the virus can be exhaled into the air through the one way valve. Thankfully, I'm seeing less and less of those one way valve masks in use.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Oh well, you do what you gotta do. Personally, I am going to live my life and not worry about it. I have found that worrying does absolutely nothing. If I make a mistake and make the wrong decision, that is my problem not someone else's. I do not plan to "hunker down" at all. As a matter of fact, on Tue I took a nice ride and went to a restaurant where I saw absolutely no one wearing a mask and it was at full capacity. Not even the service folks wore masks. Like I said, I plan to live my life.
I wonder how many folks will die from worrying about this virus. Most likely they will deem it Covid related deaths.
I'll make a prediction. I will live my life and not die from the virus. If I am wrong and I do succumb to the virus and die, no one will know it on here, so it really doesn't matter.
Which restaurant did you go to? I will not go there until this virus has succumbed to humans.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
I’ve never heard this before. Source?
Simply summarizing those who refuse, or ridicule, the wearing of masks, social distancing, etc. and thinking that we could ever reach "herd immunity." As for sources, those are pretty numerous.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:07 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylane8 View Post
I don't know who you are and what your background is, but your ignorance of CFS is astounding. I have lived with this illness for 30 years. You have obviously never studied this illness. I have. After reading that paragraph, I certainly would question anything you write about health.
I agree with you that if he thinks CFS is not a real disease he’s doing a disservice.
How many times have doctors said “it’s all in your head” when in fact a diagnosis by a better doctor uncovers the true disease.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayeight99 View Post
You have been bamboozled! The seasonal flu is just as serious. What about heart disease, cancer, etc. You can’t get outta this life alive. Enjoy it while you’re here. Chill! Turn off CNN and go for a hike, without your mask. Fresh air cures a lot of ailments. The people wearing masks touch their faces to adjust their masks 100 times more than without a mask. I thought we weren’t suppose to touch our faces? Unbelievable.
People who are touching their masks to adjust them, are not touching their faces. They are touching their masks. I see it all the time on TV when reporters are wearing their masks that fall down. They touch the mask to pick it back up.

Have you watched Biden touch his nose every two to three minutes when he is giving a speech? I think it is a nervous habit. He is much better off wearing a mask because at least his fingers will not touch his nose like they do when he is maskless..
Old 10-17-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
First and foremost, social distancing. It is very hard to contract this virus from more than 6 feet away, even without a mask and especially outdoors.

Second, mask in the appropriate setting. Mostly when you cannot guarantee social distancing, and especially indoors when people are getting within 6 feet. But remember, a mask is not a suit of armor against this virus, it offers minimal protection for the wearer. It helps protect other people to a degree if not distanced. Keep in mind, however, to get the virus from another, that person has to be spewing droplets in your vicinity, he has to be positive for COVID, and in the infective stage as well, plus deliver enough of an inoculum to infect you. The odds are low, but if they were zero, there would be no pandemic. There is no need to worship at the altar of the holy mask, wear it to bed or while driving alone, etc.

Third, while there is little evidence of surface to human infection, it can't hurt to wash your hands often and use hand sanitizer. There are plenty of other germs out there that can be avoided in this fashion

Hope that answers your question
I concur 100% and hope that the naysayers listen.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 10-17-2020, 03:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I know. If only someone had warned us that we should close down completely, nationwide, for just a couple of months - to prevent the onslaught for almost a year.

If only we had known...

I never agreed with shutting down. What we needed EARLY ON, (in January) was a mask MANDATE by our Federal Government. We would not be in this mess now.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
I agree with you that if he thinks CFS is not a real disease he’s doing a disservice.
How many times have doctors said “it’s all in your head” when in fact a diagnosis by a better doctor uncovers the true disease.
Did you read my post at all????
CFS is NOT a real disease. At most it is a syndrome, one that may or may not exist, cannot be defined, cannot be tested for and cannot be treated, regardless of any cult mystique that has surrounded it. I know I'm talking to a brick wall with many who have chosen to believe in it, but the remaining rational people should know the facts
Old 10-17-2020, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I never agreed with shutting down. What we needed EARLY ON, (in January) was a mask MANDATE by our Federal Government. We would not be in this mess now.
Yes, some folks really do NEED a gov nanny to protect them. We don't and didn't need a mask mandate. If you wish to wear a mask then it is your right to wear one. It is NOT your right to demand others to wear one for your safety. You have the right to stay home or go where you will feel safe. You have no right to dictate limitations on other American freedoms. You do not have to agree, but you do have to abide by the law. There is no law that mandates a mask and if there was one, then they would also have to mandate what kind of mask, how you wear it, etc.
Since I have been reading hysterical posts on here, I have started to relax my mask wearing. I have seen how few folks die from the virus and I do not believe that I will. If that bothers you, oh well. Life is full of disagreements, and like the song goes "you don't always get what you want...."
If a business has it posted that customers wear a mask, then I will comply. Otherwise, I just stay a "safe" distance away from folks that I converse with and I don't linger with others that I have to pass.
I do not see why so many folks insist on living in a constant panic mode, but some folks are just weak. Just because someone died from a virus, flu, measles, pox, etc. does not mean that the spores are concentrated in the air. I have always used the wipes offered at stores like Walmart or Publix to wipe my cart and my hands. It's just one of those things that is a habit. Living overseas in some filthy countries, taught me to wash my hands many times a day. I did wear my mask and gloves when this thing first started, and I have had two family members die from the virus(supposedly). But, I refuse to live in a state of hysteria.
Suit yourself but don't presume to tell me how I should "protect" you. Like I have said many times, if you fear the monstrous COVID virus, then stay home and leave the rest of us to live our lives. If we are wrong, then it's just fewer folks polluting your world.
Thanks to all the information gleaned from this forum, I no longer wear my mask as much. I now feel that I have been overly cautious.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Simply summarizing those who refuse, or ridicule, the wearing of masks, social distancing, etc. and thinking that we could ever reach "herd immunity." As for sources, those are pretty numerous.
Google Laaurie Garrett or Dr. Michael Osterholm. They can explain what a JOKE herd immunity really is.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
That's right, YOU DON"T KNOW, and I'm not the ignorant one.
I'll bite---since you THINK you have more expertise than I, please give me a working definition of CFS beyond a collection of somatic symptoms. Give me medically accepted diagnostic criteria. Give me a test that shows CFS.

When someone has a positive ANA and doesn't meet criteria for a specific rheumatologic disorder, ate least we can throw it in the catch-all category of mixed connective tissue disease. When someone has an elevated ESR and muscle and joint aches, we can use the catch-all of fibromyalgia. There is no equivalent for CFS.

Worse yet, CFS has become a sort of cult following. There are people putting out "CFS newsletters and magazines" They may call themselves doctors but most are nutritionists and holistic quacks. This happens with just about every condition that cannot be specifically diagnosed and has no treatment. Patients are desperate to latch onto anything that sounds authoritarian and offers hope.

Now I'm sorry you have had something for 30 years, and if you want to call it CFS, fine. I'm happy you have "studied" it, although I'm at a loss to fathom from what legitimate source you obtained your information. And feel free to question "anything I have to say about health", despite the fact that I have treated tens of thousands of patients and could give 4 pages of credentials here. But I will give you some free advice----eat a balanced diet, exercise, maintain ideal body weight, and take reasonable vitamin supplements, but most of all, do not buy any of the snake oil these CFS publications will try to sell you
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: It's Real, and We Can Do Better
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, start, hunkering, 2nd, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.