2nd Wave??

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2020, 06:43 PM

Well... our neighbors did just that...(got out enjoying life)
They BOTH just tested positive 😔
Old 10-18-2020, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
I do not disagree that masks help and I do wear one myself in appropriate settings. What I disagree with is the idea that if we had done it from the beginning we would now be back to normal. The countries that locked down and slowed the spread are still seeing a resurgence.
That sadly appears to be the case doesn't it.

I would not want the job at the Helm of this SHIP......Lives are at risk because of the virus. The economy is at risk as well, and a LOT of people whose very life, their very food and bills rest on getting people back to work. We cannot keep dipping into the "well" forever to fund people.

It is another unsolvable problem for now that people seem to think there is a pat answer to.

The government is not our mother. The economy is going to get worse. Save all money you can. And please don't fan around in crowds if you are old.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowprint View Post
The small percentage of deaths doesn’t mean that getting COVID19 is inconsequential. Chris Christie didn’t die but he was hospitalized and was in the ICU. That IS a life changing experience! There’s also evidence of of lingering symptoms, so called “long haulers.†There’s now proof that reinfection can occur.
There’s so much unknown about COVID19 that just “living your life†like it’s not dangerous is akin to playing Russian roulette. Please wear a mask & practice social distancing for other people even if you don’t care about yourself.
Herd immunity, which is now being advocated by some, is a recipe for disaster that is going to kill millions, not thousands, and overwhelm the health care system.
COVID19 isn’t Republican or Democrat. It doesn’t care who it kills or sickens. It has only one goal...to replicate. America is the world’s leader among developed countries in allowing COVID19 to replicate. That’s not going to change until millions of Americans stop being stupid. It’s not “freedom†to refuse to wear a mask or ignore social distancing. It is, simply, sociopathic.
Thanks for the post. I can state for a fact that my former next door neighbor at the Villages who died of COVID, after recovering from a medical event at a long term care facility, was not inconsequential. She was a very much alive and great person to have as our neighbor. People need to wake up to the fact that this thing is a very real and dangerous pandemic that needs to be treated as such. RIP Louise.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
I do not disagree that masks help and I do wear one myself in appropriate settings. What I disagree with is the idea that if we had done it from the beginning we would now be back to normal. The countries that locked down and slowed the spread are still seeing a resurgence.
In the beginning, (January) there were so few cases in the US. How impossible would it have been to stop the virus in its tracks if we had a very high compliance of masking and social distancing? I guess you feel that would have been impossible.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:05 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
In the beginning, (January) there were so few cases in the US. How impossible would it have been to stop the virus in its tracks if we had a very high compliance of masking and social distancing? I guess you feel that would have been impossible.
At that point it was already spreading globally
Old 10-18-2020, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
That sadly appears to be the case doesn't it.

I would not want the job at the Helm of this SHIP......Lives are at risk because of the virus. The economy is at risk as well, and a LOT of people whose very life, their very food and bills rest on getting people back to work. We cannot keep dipping into the "well" forever to fund people.

It is another unsolvable problem for now that people seem to think there is a pat answer to.

The government is not our mother. The economy is going to get worse. Save all money you can. And please don't fan around in crowds if you are old.
But, would it have been great if our Government told us all the truth when they knew it ?

Would we not be better off had we known the real facts that our government knew in January, listened to a plan and as a country given it our best shot ?

Would we not be better off had our government not decided early on to allow not only disruption occur, but allow terrible bad information be allowed to come to us ?

Would we not have been better off if instead of flat out lying, our government had been honest with all of us, instead of telling lies about the virus and the future ?

The government is not our mother for sure. Mothers would not lie to their children and would make the children’s protection the number one motivation for everything they do.

Our government did not begin this terrible time, but wasted so much time and actions to keep it quiet. At the beginning, we were short masks, etc., which were shipped to China by American companies with government assistance. Had our government been honest and concerned, would that have happened.

As we now know, our government was advised in January, and knew this virus was dangerous while we unknowingly thought we were safe.

Our country has always been strong enough to fight, but when we are informed and not lied to.

On top of that, our own government established a beach head on masks, insured that sides were taken and citizens split apart on the topic.

I am sorry, but our government was irresponsible with this, and continue to be so.

I will never forget that, and many families who have lost people to the virus, especially early on when we were purposely kept in the dark, will never forget either.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:31 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
It is a SYNDROME, that the medical community has differing opinions of. (oops, dangling participle)

To be a disease, it has to have a known etiologic agent.

Read post 191
Doc, here’s the definition I got

Definition of etiology
1 : CAUSE, ORIGIN
specifically : the cause of a disease or abnormal condition

it says essentially that an etiologic agent that you referred to is the cause of a disease. Granted the cause of CFS is unknown but according to the above definition that does not mean it is not a disease just that the cause is currently unknown. Please explain what I am missing.

Also are you saying it is not a disease now but if in the future the etiologic agent is found it could be a disease,

Also let me apologize if you took my statement that “you are worried that without an IDME number you won’t get paid†as a reflection on you. I was referring to a “you†in general not “you specifically†but should have been clearer.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:22 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

There is now talk of 3rd wave????
Old 10-19-2020, 01:18 PM
Sage

This is about the strong resurgence of Covid-19 which is happening here and in Europe as well.

It seems to be returning again no matter how it has been handled in France, Germany, Spain, Italy, United Kingdom, Sweden, China, India etc.

The name of the thread is second wave. Since this is happening I think it is fair to say that the virus is doing what it does no matter what happens. It is a world wide thing and God only knows what the tallies of deaths will be at the end.

This is really not political. This is a Pandemic caused by a virus that has morphed into a new one. It hurts some people worse than others. Scientists all seem to agree that the most people who have died are elderly.

Why are some arguing politics??? Do you not see it is an equal opportunity nasty virus? We are all capable of reading what the CDC and the WHO has told us. It has been particularly hard for all health agencies to keep up with a rapidly changing scene. When most of us first heard about it at the end of February the health agencies in China were not clear and not sharing. They had stumbled upon something sickening and killing people in late December. In January it had traveled to Italy...still confusion as to what to do. In early March we knew that New York was having some cases. But by the middle of March it was very clear that it was HERE in the U.S.....and even the experts were not precise at that time with advice. They were thinking to save masks for the medical people and thinking to set up beds. No one could really know how it would play out or exactly what to do. There is still no one saying with clarity what works and what doesn't. Science is often slow to summarize.

Last edited by graciegirl; 10-19-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:36 AM
Default "I"

Have you ever noticed how many times a person opposed to wearing a mask uses "I". Pay attention, it is really noticeable that it is all about them and no caring for others.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginpappas View Post
Have you ever noticed how many times a person opposed to wearing a mask uses "I". Pay attention, it is really noticeable that it is all about them and no caring for others.
"Have you ever noticed" how many times a person that demands others wear a mask use the phrase "no caring for others?" It seems that those folks are thinking of themselves also, or they wouldn't care if someone else is careless with their own safety. See, it works both ways. Personally, I wear a mask when I think it is prudent. Actually, I am wearing a mask less than at the beginning of this thing. The more I learn about the illness, the less I worry. And yes, I have lost two members of my family "supposedly" to COVID. I do not care if you wear a mask or not. If you wish to wear a mask, then by all means wear your mask. I haven't worn long pants in years. See, I live dangerously. But, I don't demand others to dress like me. I will say this again and probably repeat it frequently, if you feel threatened and you can avoid the supposed danger, it is on you to stay safe. It is not anyone else's duty to protect you from exposing yourself to danger. Only you. I have been in stores that require you to wear a mask. I have seen folks comply by wearing the mask under their chins. If the Gov mandated masks, that is exactly what would happen. And if anyone was charged, it would be thrown out of court because the gov did not supply everyone with gov approved masks.
You will not demand folks to wear a mask. All you can do is keep the public informed and let them make the decision to wear or not wear. Like I have said before, I wear my mask when I feel it to be necessary. I do not care if anyone else wears a mask or not. You can howl at the moon for all the good it will do. You will have some that will not wear a mask even if they could see the virus in the air. I am prepared for contingencies. I have paper masks, cloth masks, Lead filtering masks and even a military gas mask. I have a box of disposable gloves, a pack of work gloves, welding gloves. I have safety glasses, goggles, a face shield and a welding hood. I am prepared, but I will not run amok screaming that the "sky is falling."
Old 10-20-2020, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Are there more R deaths associated with this virus, just wondering?
Old 10-20-2020, 11:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Are there more R deaths associated with this virus, just wondering?
A better question would be....How many sick folks didn't take advanced biology in school?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:22 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

We never really got out of the first wave. It's clear. It's here. No end in sight.

How does it happen that we read posts from people who claim they do what they have to do to follow guidelines, but then go on to show that they are hellbent on convincing others not to listen to the science?

If this were not so real, it would be fascinating. But it is just plain weird, downright bizarre. Incomprehensible.

Then there is the irony of the fact that those who just want to let it all hang out are really the ones holding the economy down because they creep out other spenders.

Even though portfolios might be looking nice and tubby for now, that is not the real economy. And, while I am at it, speaking of portfolios, I have been wondering how those REITS holding commercial property are doing. I have never been a fan of those so I do not really know. Just curious. But I digress.

Wearing masks and washing our hands and having a sensible little pod to hang around with works for us. It's not that hard -- although I know I am going to miss the theater season -- I never came late.

But too many are being had by dysinformation. (Finally! Spellcheck let me spell that word with a 'y' instead of an 'i.' Makes a more accurate prefix.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-20-2020 at 02:47 PM. Reason: I thought I had better edit out my really snarky part. I
Old 10-20-2020, 04:36 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

///

Last edited by oldtimes; 10-20-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, start, hunkering, 2nd, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.