2nd Wave??

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Given your expertise what is your recommendation of what people can sensibly do to protect themselves? I am not being snarky, I am genuinely interested in your opinion.
WEAR A MASK when indoors in public places
Wear a mask when in a large outdoor crowded areas
Avoid crowds
Stay AT LEAST 6 ft from non-family members
Wash your hands
Get a flu shot

Until there is an effective vaccine and/or effective therapies you need to be cautious and careful. Herd immunity will not work in the face of a pandemic of this lethality.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgamble3 View Post
What do you tell the person who's spouse died in an automobile accident?
Well, if the spouse was killed by a drunk driver, I would express sympathy for the loss and rage at the selfish person who thought his need for pleasure was more important than his need to regulate his behavior and ended up killing someone.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhoopty View Post
What do you tell the person who’s spouse died of suicide, depression, or any of the many consequences of “hunkering down”z?

That doesn't seem to be a reasonable argument. You may THINK you know that people who are avoiding contact with the virus are depressed, but the people in The Villages, most of us have faced far worse this staying in.

I wish you could have seen the thousands and thousands of cancer survivors that we used to gather at The High School. So many people have suffered the loss of their loved spouse here and manage to continue somehow.

AND........Hunkering down is not difficult at all when the beautiful sunshine is all around and a safe cart ride is sitting in the garage. When we have Facebook and TOTV to interact with others.

I have seen far worse than living right now in this beautiful place.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:46 AM

On any given day there are conflicting reports as to mask, no mask. Stay home, go out, herd mentality. My take is very simple. Never in the history of communicate disease have we quareentied the well. So dig down and muster up your last ounce of common sense and enjoy life to it's fullest. If your sickly stay home. If you well go do things that make sense. Driving a car with a mask doesn't make sense. Walking a dog at 6am with a mask and gloves is insane. Ordering food from a grocery store to be picked up makes sense. C'mon people
Old 10-16-2020, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Absolutely agree with this factual thread starter. Michael Osterholm, a leading epidemiologist, says that the US has around 50,000 cases per day currently. But, before the end of the year there will be 100,000 per day. You can Google him easily. He also doubts that a vaccine would be available to the average person before the middle of 2021. And since NOT all Americans will take the vaccine and our borders can not be closed, that the CV will be with us FOREVER. But, hopefully in only small numbers of infections in the future. He and other scientists have also said that countries such as Australia, New Zealand, and (I believe) Japan are able to limit the CV to acceptable numbers because they are islands. So, they can better control and quarantine people as they arrive. He predicted 2 months ago that the rapid Abbott test as used by the White House was like the Secret Service using water pistols against assassins. He said that the US is like a train racing toward a wreck!
Old 10-16-2020, 11:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Since the dawn of time there is one and only one cure for any virus, exposure. Be it from a vaccine or the the virus itself.

Thus be prepared to 'hunker down' for years. Or accept risks in your life as you have and continue to accept for the remainder of your life for virtually every activity in life.

And I will accept risks and enjoy life by not hunkering down.
I respect that opinion and course of action. But then, how do you explain to yourself the fact that the people in Australia, New Zealand and Japan all lead normal lives and have effectively overcome CV? They do NOT have an "either-or" life decision as we do. They closed down tightly and then contact traced diligently and it worked! They embraced science and took it seriously and told the truth to their population.

Last edited by jimjamuser; 10-16-2020 at 01:02 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 10-16-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Given your expertise what is your recommendation of what people can sensibly do to protect themselves? I am not being snarky, I am genuinely interested in your opinion.
Doctor say if you wear a mask, don’t touch your face and wash your hands frequently you’ll be safe. I know that the virus can also go in through your eyes, so to be really safe, wear a mask and a shield
Old 10-16-2020, 11:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I respect that opinion and course of action. But then, how do you explain to yourself the fact that the people in Australia, New Zealand and Japan all lead normal lives and have effectively overcome CV? They do NOT have an "either-or" life decision as we do. They closed down tightly and then contract traced diligently and it worked! They embraced science and took it seriously and told the truth to their population.
total population australia - Bing
Old 10-16-2020, 11:41 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
I respect that opinion and course of action. But then, how do you explain to yourself the fact that the people in Australia, New Zealand and Japan all lead normal lives and have effectively overcome CV? They do NOT have an "either-or" life decision as we do. They closed down tightly and then contract traced diligently and it worked! They embraced science and took it seriously and told the truth to their population.
Australia and New Zealand are a small fraction of our population and Japan is an entirely different culture. They have been wearing masks for decades before this started and still are. Americans have a you can’t tell me what to do attitude.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
Not the end of the world for most, but for those who get it it is the end of the world. Most people I meet are going to continue going out because "they won't get it" that's what the dead people thought alos.
For most, driving to Orlando is not "the end of the world" But for some........
Old 10-16-2020, 11:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rde3036 View Post
The number of cases is meaningless.

In Sumter county, population of 135,000, a total of 77 people have died from the virus. That works out to .o5% of the population. Not exactly the end of the world kind of number.

This is not a virus like Ebloa. Get out and enjoy life!
As a great philosopher once said, "its NOT over till its over. If I were a predicting person, I would predict that TV Land gets hit with a CV spike in about Dec 1st because of the snow birds returning and the problems. There WERE only 2 CV deaths in one day recently in Fl. But the day before was 14. The cases in Fl have leveled off at around 3,000 per day. Deaths may be down because of better treatment and experience with the disease (such as keeping patients face down)? Or it could be possible undercounting? Either way, the CV experience can be short of death, but VERY torturous. And you CAN be reinfected and they are finding a good possibility of serious mental and physical long term problems. 30 % of recovering CV victims report long-term MENTAL FOG that prevents them form returning to work and a normal life. So, the big picture on CV is bigger than just a small number of deaths (for now). When you calculate YOUR risk of problems from CV, take ALL factors into consideration. Do not be just a sheep that moves with the HERD of optimism that is being circulated here in La, La TV Land.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
For most, driving to Orlando is not "the end of the world" But for some........
????

I think we can surmise that your opinion is that overall we Villagers are being too cautious about Covid-19?

Sally is facing a new challenge from an old enemy and is very wise to avoid any new threats to her health. That is because I know her. None of us wants to be considered weak or not brave. However, the decisions that people make here are often based on logic and their own circumstances, just as yours are Doc. Sir.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collector0915 View Post
Seems to me we are still in the midst of the first wave. I have not felt safe going anywhere since early March when we were just realizing the pandemic was upon us. Mask and gloves are the norm wherever I go and restaurant dining, large gatherings, etc. are out of the question for me for the foreseeable future.
Same here. At minimum a second wave will come and I'll bet it will be at least another full year before the virus runs it course. I continue to stay as safe as possible. The upside is I also have NOT had a head cold, flu, strep throat, bronchitis, stomach virus, URI, tonsillitis, or pneumonia since before this whole pandemic started. LOL
The key is staying away from people in public places and following protocols. Masks may be an inconvenience but I sure don't want to end up on a ventilator!

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 10-16-2020, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
????

I think we can surmise that your opinion is that overall we Villagers are being too cautious about Covid-19?

Sally is facing a new challenge from an old enemy and is very wise to avoid any new threats to her health. That is because I know her. None of us wants to be considered weak or not brave. However, the decisions that people make here are often based on logic and their own circumstances, just as yours are Doc. Sir.
Not at all. Overall, I would have kept the restaurants to 50% capacity, kept the squares closed and be very careful about what Rec center activities I would allow. There are some people who are going to be reckless no matter what, and others that are gripped with irrational fear--those are the extremes that I tend to address, the other 95% of us are generally being sensible, so I don't comment on them.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art cov View Post
A lot of people wearing mask religiously are getting Covid. What exactly do we do? Most get over it just fine and some don’t. I will not hibernate inside! I will take precautions but I’m living life. I will not be driving a vehicle alone n wear a mask. If I’m outside keeping a distance, I will live life like always. If someone is sneezing away like crazy or coughing their heads off then I will politely get away from them. If your sick stay away from people. Flu n cold season is around the corner, this will get interesting. Science and doctors told us all kinds of things: When warm summer comes this was going away. Nobody remembers half of what they told us because they flip-flop on everything. I can’t keep up with all the experts, and the differing opinions. If some mask don’t work then why are they so popular everywhere? In spite of everything life is good! If we shut the television off, life gets better The news 24/7 is driving some absolutely crazy! Don’t believe the ... (nonsense).
Wrong! Science did NOT, definitly NOT say that CV was going away in the summer. Some NON -SCIENCE (sounds like nonsense which it was) people said that. It is a little harder to find out the truth about any subject than it was before social media - but it is STILL possible. One must be open-minded and a better detective than before to hunt down the truth. I understand that it IS DIFFICULT. There is both Russian and domestic propaganda to wade through. There are minefields and "mind fields" to avoid. Watch out for obvious traps such as conspiracy theories and Qanon. Good luck!
Closed Thread

Tags
wave, start, hunkering, 2nd, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.