3,700 homes on 1,483 acres in Villages of Southern Oaks approved

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2023, 08:58 AM
Default And I’m grateful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Yes, it's still in the works and planning stages. Building a hospital is a HUGE project. I helped build two new hospitals while working in construction before retiring, it takes literally years planning and design work before ground is ever broken. Once they break ground it takes years to build, a modern hospital is the most complicated and complex building to construct. I worked the Shands Cardiovascular Neuroscience hospital from groundbreaking to opening day - 4 1/2 years to build and equip, we spent 3 more months refining our system installation after opening before turning the systems over to the hospital staff and our service department. Bottom line, if they announced today that they have a contract to build a hospital, it would likely be at least 7 or 8 years before the first patient is ever admitted.
Thanks for building that place It’s an absolute lifesaver.. best doctors best care. I did both nuero and heart. A 10% survival guy and they made it happen.
Old 12-15-2023, 02:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,530 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnlaura View Post
Thanks for building that place It’s an absolute lifesaver.. best doctors best care. I did both nuero and heart. A 10% survival guy and they made it happen.
It's an amazing hospital. The surgery suites are an incredible site to see, SiFi movies get their ideas for what a hospital of the future is supposed to look like from places like this. I remember working in the control room for one of the surgery suites, we were all working trying to get things finished for the hospital to move in the equipment, the control room had 200 ethernet drops and 600 amps of 240vac power to supply the equipment (does not include the actual surgery suite). It took days to move all the equipment moved in and over 2 weeks to get everything up and operational.

In spite of all the technology at the hospital they are still limited by the limits of human knowledge and the frailty of the human body. My son David was a patient there about 6 months before he passed away. I remember sitting in his room and remembering that I had been working in that same room 4 years earlier, remembering all that went into the ICU suites, and remembered when we asked the question "do they really need all of this in every room?", and knowing at that moment that, yes, yes they do and it's all worth it. While none of it was enough to save David, hopefully it has helped save many others.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 12-16-2023, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollusk29 View Post
Too many homes on too little acreage. It boggles my mind why people want to live on top of each other.
  • I don't want to take care of a large yard/property (or pay someone else to do it).
  • The more people per acre, the lower my amenity fee.
  • The more people, the more businesses and services.
  • The more people, the more clubs and special interest groups.

Do I like watching my neighbor's TV? Or listening to their conversations on their lanai? Or listening to their yippie dogs bark? No. But life is about trade-offs, and I've traded some privacy and peace for recreation amenities and lower maintenance.

And other than driving through on the way to the shopping up north, all the rest of The Villages doesn't impact my life. I tend to stay within a 15-20 min radius. Doesn't matter a whit whether the land outside that radius is cow pastures or apartments.

There are plenty of other places to live besides The Villages.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,184 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiragirl View Post
Sad. We are quickly losing the feeling of THE VILLAGES. It's too big and spread out. Why don't the Morses just buy the whole state of Florida? It's called Power and Greed
The "feeling" of The Villages is still the same for me as when I moved here full time in 2016. I was seasonal for three years prior to that. I don't go south of 44 and basically stay north of 466A. My "stomping ground" is the Lake Sumter Landing area. I'm close to lots of restaurants, retail and medical offices. No need for me to head south to walk on nature trails as that is not my thing. Traffic is prominent on 441, 466 and 466A. The neighborhood areas remain quiet and still have that wonderful Villages quiet, homey feel that I loved when I first set eyes on this place. Others may have a different POV.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I suspect that "the feeling of The Villages" is different for each of us.

Those who came before Lake Sumter Landing was built probably have a very different idea of what The Villages means from those just arriving.

When we got here there was nothing south of 466A, and we rarely go down there now, so any further build will not change things for me one iota.
Exactly what I just said.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Too many homes on too little acreage. It boggles my mind why people want to live on top of each other.
Less property to maintain. We had that up north. Done with that. Love it here on our smaller property.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I am from the North East and find there is not any traffic.
Agree. Traffic here, even in high season, is a walk in the park compared to what we had up north in NY and NJ. I guess traffic is a matter of what you get used to.

Driving on the Belt Parkway through Brooklyn and Queens at any time of day......now THAT was traffic.
Old 12-16-2023, 09:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,652 Times in 445 Posts

Traffic and growth is such a subjective thing. It really boils down to where you came from. If you lived most your adult life in large urban areas, with the constant noise of sirens, horns honking, traffic and parking congestion, bumper-to-bumper traffic during commute times - then even what is considered “the worst” times of year in The Villages, is nothing in comparison. If you moved here from a farm with a lot of acreage in the middle of North Dakota, where you could hear a pin drop miles away, then I guess The Villages would seem like a major urban area.

Personally, I find The Villages one of the quietest, serene, and easy-to get-around communities I have lived in, not including the very small town I grew up in as a child.

Last edited by Michael 61; 12-16-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,941 Times in 1,114 Posts

Quote:
well did you buy here or decide to buy 5 acres and a mule and spend your day fooling around with a lawn and then watching the grass grow because there’s nothing else to do .I remember people ridiculing buyers of big homes in the new sections because some had such small lots , maybe they liked the idea of bigger home smaller lot I certainly do . I’ve never lived anyplace quieter then the villages and I’ve lived in pretty much all the areas at one time or another
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, southern, oaks, homes, 3, 700

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.