466a & MicroRaceTrack Road accident?

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Veteran member
Default 466a & MicroRaceTrack Road accident?

Has anyone seen or heard anything about an accident at the intersection of these two roads?

On my way to work yesterday, around 9:15 am, there was obviously an accident with a smashed up car. However, helicopters were circling above and numerous sheriffs were parked along the roadside. There was even a bloodhound looking like he was about to search the woods.

I've googled everything I can think of and have come up empty.

Any answers? Curious minds want to know!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Taltarzac
Default There's nothing about this in the emergency response log for Sumter or Lake Cos.

Sumter-- http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=375

Lake-- http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=350
Old 11-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Veteran member

I know...I looked there too. It seemed like a pretty big deal...that's why I'm surprised that I can't find anything! Thanks for looking, though!
Old 11-13-2010, 02:10 PM
Gold member

The Sheriffs office helicopter was flying circles in the area for close to 2hrs. One of our neighbors went by that intersection early in the afternoon and the Sheriffs office had a young man in handcuffs. Not sure what transpired to lead up to that.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Taltarzac

Coleman Federal Prison is just down the road-- US301. http://www.bop.gov/locations/maps/SER.jsp Perhaps, the sheriff's office was assisting to catch a Federal fugitive from a low security level area?? Think I watch too many CSI type TV shows.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-13-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
Coleman Federal Prison is just down the road-- US301. http://www.bop.gov/locations/maps/SER.jsp Perhaps, the sheriff's office was assisting to catch a Federal fugitive from a low security level area?? Think I watch too many CSI type TV shows.
Tal,

Coleman prison is many miles south of TV off I-75.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
Tal,

Coleman prison is many miles south of TV off I-75.

Sure about that. The Federal Bureau of Prisons gives this description--

"FCI Coleman is located in central Florida, approximately 50 miles northwest of Orlando, 60 miles northeast of Tampa, and 35 miles south of Ocala. The FCC is located south of the town of Coleman, off Highway 301.

Judicial District: Middle Florida"

The Coleman Prison turnoff from US301 did not seem very far south from Wildwood. About a mile or so south of Wildwood??

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-13-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Sure about that. The Federal Bureau of Prisons gives this description--

"FCI Coleman is located in central Florida, approximately 50 miles northwest of Orlando, 60 miles northeast of Tampa, and 35 miles south of Ocala. The FCC is located south of the town of Coleman, off Highway 301.

Judicial District: Middle Florida"

The Coleman Prison turnoff from US301 did not seem very far south from Wildwood. About a mile or so south of Wildwood??
The turnoff from 301 to the Coleman correctional complex is much further south than one mile from Wildwood. When I did a mapquest check of it the distance from Colony Cottage to the prison turnoff came back as 22 miles.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
The turnoff from 301 to the Coleman correctional complex is much further south than one mile from Wildwood. When I did a mapquest check of it the distance from Colony Cottage to the prison turnoff came back as 22 miles.
I checked it out on Google Earth and it is just over 10 miles from LSL as the proverbial crow flies. That tallies with your findings, spk7951

Before anyone responds with an obvious question let me say I asked it of myself. The answer is: I just have too much time on my hands and the TV lineup tonight is dismal.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Sage
Default Heckle and Jeckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
I checked it out on Google Earth and it is just over 10 miles from LSL as the proverbial crow flies. That tallies with your findings, spk7951

Before anyone responds with an obvious question let me say I asked it of myself. The answer is: I just have too much time on my hands and the TV lineup tonight is dismal.
Speaking of too much time on my hands, your post got me thinking about how many proverbial crows there are. Let's see:

You can eat crow
Measure distance as the crow flies
Protect your corn fields with a scare crow.

I wonder how crows got to be so proverbial.

Hey, what just happened? I'm suddenly hungry for Toojays.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Taltarzac

How far is the actual Coleman Federal Prison though? The website says at least three of the facilities are 35 south of Ocala.

I tried using Mapquest with the physical address of the prison and nothing came up except Coleman. http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/com/index.jsp

FCI COLEMAN MEDIUM
FEDERAL CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION
846 NE 54TH TERRACE
COLEMAN, FL 33521

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-13-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Gold member

Quote:
How far is the actual Coleman Federal Prison though? The website says at least three of the facilities are 35 south of Ocala.

I tried using Mapquest with the physical address of the prison and nothing came up except Coleman. http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/com/index.jsp

FCI COLEMAN MEDIUM
FEDERAL CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION
846 NE 54TH TERRACE
COLEMAN, FL 33521
I tried a different approach today to finding the distance. On mapquest I went to satellite view and "marked" my house. Then I panned south on the map until I found the correctional complex. I then "marked" the facility closest to CR 501 and the distance from that facility to my house in Hadley comes back as 15.5 miles. Much closer than the results I got last night.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:43 AM
Dancing Thyme

Tal, the accident was right near Colony Plaza just outside of TV. Coleman Prison is no where near there, its way down off the 75 heading south towards Bushnell. But, I passed by the accident around 9:30am and I saw the helicopter overhead, saw the smashed up car being loaded onto a trailer truck, and some people standing on the corner of 466A and MicroRaceTrack Road. Didn't look like anyone was injured but there were a bunch of cop cars deep into the wooded area on the south side of 466A and it looked like they were searching for someone. So I assumed that whoever was in the car jumped out and tried to get away - could have been a criminal or someone without a license. Happens all the time in Los Angeles, so I was used to this kinda event. I just continued on my merry way but there were a lot of cop cars along the road.

This is just my report cause I have nothing else to do this morning so I'm passing the time acting like an amateur reporter, LOL...

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Tal, the accident was right near Colony Plaza just outside of TV. Coleman Prison is no where near there, its way down off the 75 heading south towards Bushnell. But, I passed by the accident around 9:30am and I saw the helicopter overhead, saw the smashed up car being loaded onto a trailer truck, and some people standing on the corner of 466A and MicroRaceTrack Road. Didn't look like anyone was injured but there were a bunch of cop cars deep into the wooded area on the south side of 466A and it looked like they were searching for someone. So I assumed that whoever was in the car jumped out and tried to get away - could have been a criminal or someone without a license. Happens all the time in Los Angeles, so I was used to this kinda event. I just continued on my merry way but there were a lot of cop cars along the road.

This is just my report cause I have nothing else to do this morning so I'm passing the time acting like an amateur reporter, LOL...
Actually, KathieI the Federal Correctional Institution (FCI)-- Coleman is near Adamsville (Sumter County) which would probably be about 7-14 miles as a crow flies from where this accident took place. It is just south of CR468 and west of CR501 on NE 54th Terrace.

It is about 20 miles from the Sumter County Correctional Facility in Bushnell. That county jail is about 35 miles from the Villages.

The FCI-Coleman does not show up on a Google Earth search of prisons in Central Florida nor does anything show up when you put in the address for the Federal Prison in Mapquest.

It is a good sized complex too as far as I could tell. Perhaps about the size of the Villages High School and its surrounding schools.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-14-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Veteran member

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5307308
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.