50 neighbors

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2019, 09:14 PM

I agree with Gracie. If everyone was following the rules then there should be no issue. If people are not following the rules they agreed to when they bought the property then it's time time to look in the mirror and stop blaming other people for your own issues. Don't agree to the rules and then get mad at someone else because you aren't doing what you're supposed to do. To look for, make comments about, and try to attack the other person is extremely childish/toddler behavior.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

Good that Community Standards was just calling the people to see if there were actually any problems with the law ornaments. That saves a lot of gas and time.
I assume you mean "lawn" ornaments. To my understanding, lawn ornaments under the eaves of homes are allowed to be displayed. Lawn ornaments in any other location on the property is not allowed.

A phone call? How does that count as Community Standards checking out complaints?

Last edited by coffeebean; 09-14-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:19 PM
Veteran member

I think the original intent was neighbors who had to look at others yards everyday could turn them in anonymously. It’s morphed to any one in the Villages could turn in anyone anywhere else in the Villages even if it is 10 miles away on a cul-de-sac they visited once on the day they wandered with their clipboard.

When I moved my final furnishings from up north to here the movers set a yard ornament in my front yard among some boulders. About a month later I noticed it and went to pull it out to put it in the back yard. I was stopped by my neighbors who liked looking at it every morning when they got their paper. So I left it there. Six months later I got a call from community watch saying I needed to move it, as it was handed in on a complaint along with many others in the neighborhood. Now the ornament sits in my backyard, where I can see it from the pool. Didn’t cost me a thing, but my neighbors were very disappointed.

If the complaints were limited to those in the same Village I would find the rules would make much more sense.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:15 AM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

Maybe someone could follow her home to find out where she lives, and as someone previously suggested, plant her a yard full of crosses, pink flamingos, whatever. Then everyone in the whole group could individually file reports on her.[/QUOTE]

Now that's really funny. Thanks for the laughs.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:34 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

If the complaints were limited to those in the same Village I would find the rules would make much more sense.[/QUOTE]

Old 09-15-2019, 04:08 AM

Why focus on the reporter's motivation? Again, blame-shifting!!

If 50 reports result in 10 violations being corrected, how is that NOT a public service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellybean View Post
I completely disagree with you Gracie this is a spiteful mean action and is not a public service, just one persons vendetta against everyone for a personal reason!
Old 09-15-2019, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
Why focus on the reporter's motivation? Again, blame-shifting!!

If 50 reports result in 10 violations being corrected, how is that NOT a public service?
Will you feel the same when someone reports you twice a week for violations against your property, and CS has to check on you twice a week, for several months in a row to confirm that the violations are false?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Will you feel the same when someone reports you twice a week for violations against your property, and CS has to check on you twice a week, for several months in a row to confirm that the violations are false?
Actually, I think I would. I even enjoy talking to telemarketers. I don't have any violations, but, if I did, I would want to get them fixed, and would welcome CS's help to identify them.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

It really is simple. We understood that The Villages is a " Deed Restricted Community " we read through the rules and felt they were reasonable and super easy to follow.

So with that, we bought our home. We have made improvements went through the process of getting them approved. We simply follow the rules.

Break the rules then face the consequences, like anything else, break the law, etc. etc it's life.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Actually, I think I would. I even enjoy talking to telemarketers. I don't have any violations, but, if I did, I would want to get them fixed, and would welcome CS's help to identify them.
In my neck of the woods, that behavior is called stalking and harassment and a judge can sign off on a cease and desist for it. There was a family in a nearby town who encountered the same kind of thing. Someone in the household was wheelchair bound, and they had a handicap-equipped van in the driveway and were building a wheelchair ramp from the front step to the driveway. A neighbor thought it was unsightly, and started complaining on a weekly basis to the zoning department about the ramp.

'They're extending it two inches too close to the sidewalk' or "the material is 1/8" too thin" or "they're digging within 10 feet of the curb"...

None of what they were saying was true, and all the work has the proper licensing and permits issued.

The neighbor was issued a cease and desist, and did it again anyway, and was arrested for violating the cease and desist order.

That is the kind of thing I'm talking about, that can happen, and possibly already IS happening to some extent, in the Villages.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:48 AM
Veteran member

As has been speculated, my guess is that the person doing the reporting is someone who was turned in for his/her own violation(s), got angry about the unfairness of being singled out when others were getting away with the same thing, and decided to right those wrongs.

Honestly, I can understand that impulse better than I can homeowners who are mad at and urging a vendetta against someone who's following the reporting rules.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
One lived in the historic area and the other lived in district 1. I think they weren’t big into displays anyways.

I was interested in this thread because the person I bought from had dementia and left 2 small items in the front for bed; a weathervane among the bushes so small you can’t see, and a planter, then one more empty planter at the back. I thought they’d take them before closing but they just left them and I closed remotely. And someone stole a bush from the front, and a brick, they could have taken the planters....
I thought planters were exempt.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 09-15-2019, 10:15 AM
Platinum member
Default Deed Restrictions

I would suggest that everyone read the restrictions for each District before a blanket accusation regarding violations is discussed. I just reread mine and many of the others. Not all have the same restrictions. Mine in District 3 differ in some areas from those in District 8, just as an example. What is a violation in one area (District) is NOT a violation in another.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 09-15-2019, 03:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
I think the original intent was neighbors who had to look at others yards everyday could turn them in anonymously. It’s morphed to any one in the Villages could turn in anyone anywhere else in the Villages even if it is 10 miles away on a cul-de-sac they visited once on the day they wandered with their clipboard.

When I moved my final furnishings from up north to here the movers set a yard ornament in my front yard among some boulders. About a month later I noticed it and went to pull it out to put it in the back yard. I was stopped by my neighbors who liked looking at it every morning when they got their paper. So I left it there. Six months later I got a call from community watch saying I needed to move it, as it was handed in on a complaint along with many others in the neighborhood. Now the ornament sits in my backyard, where I can see it from the pool. Didn’t cost me a thing, but my neighbors were very disappointed.

If the complaints were limited to those in the same Village I would find the rules would make much more sense.
Aw yes. I think. I was told. I heard.

Original intent is not known by any of us. What is known is that anyone can report a violation anywhere.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I assume you mean "lawn" ornaments. To my understanding, lawn ornaments under the eaves of homes are allowed to be displayed. Lawn ornaments in any other location on the property is not allowed.

A phone call? How does that count as Community Standards checking out complaints?
About a month ago I asked that very question, and was told by Community Standards that the lawn 'under the eves' is controlled by deed restrictions. On your porch is not controlled. So you have to change your lawn ornaments to porch ornaments to come into compliance.
Closed Thread

Tags
mental, issue, vendetta, personal, tracks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.