$50M Hospital expansion

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 PM

Thanks for this article!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:17 PM

Went to the ER in March and treated by a phycian's assistant and not a doctor. Received a statement from the insurance company and the hospital charged me $779.00 for being looked at by a phycian's assistant. God only knows what the bill might have been if I was treated by a doctor!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

I certainly hope they get new management when this expansion takes place, otherwise I fear it will be more of the same.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
when i worked in a local 500 bed hospital, we hired 'seasonal' employees. many often came from a state that provided reciprocity re licensing and they took a 3 month leave of absence from their primary job so that they could spend the summer at the jersey shore! our beaches, the ocean and the pay rates are attractive!
I know there are nurses available and actually prefer this seasonal work, but I'm wondering if that has crossed over to PAs or Nurse Practioners. I can't imagine a doctor leaving his practice for a "season" but I guess you never know.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I know there are nurses available and actually prefer this seasonal work, but I'm wondering if that has crossed over to PAs or Nurse Practioners. I can't imagine a doctor leaving his practice for a "season" but I guess you never know.
i don't recall bringing on add'l physicians - not as easy to do what with admitting privileges - ya know? our main concern was to insure that services such as the er and floor care were at optimum staffing levels.

and when i was with the hospital - we still employed lpns and cnas! rns were just beginning to run lpns out of the hosptal and the other titles you mentioned were still considered inflated ways to promote rns who had reached the top of the pay scale! to this day i'd prefer to have an lpn administer any shot i might need!

Old 05-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Veteran member

Let's try and be grateful that SOMETHING is being done. The ER was and remains at this time a mess. Who's to blame? I don't know, but I do care that new facilities will be built and we don't need to go to Ocala, Leesburg, Tampa, or Gainesville to be seen and helped with whatever problem exists. My one gripe: lack of parking.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:47 PM
Sage
Default Health Care Facility Expansion is Highly Regulated

No health care facility which serves the general public may not add / open even 1 more bed without the approval of several Federal and State Regulators .

Any institution which accepts Medicare / Medicaid must jump through numerous approval " hoops " before they can expand an ER , add an additional OR or add new beds . Approval is even required for the additional of certain high tech diagnostic and / or treatment equipment .

Therefore one can certainly and accurately conclude that the Villages Hospital expansion was a long time in planning and must have made a very convincing
case for need or this would have not gotten past the wishful thinking stage .

Today it is nearly impossible for a hospital to be able to add anything to existing physical plant . It is far more common for regulators to force hospitals to cut back on the number of beds or offering certain services . Most hospitals in the States and Cities in the north are being forced into consolidation and sharing expensive high tech equipment .

One of my good friends here in the Villages was just told that he has cancer and the recommended form of treatment is something called " Proton Therapy ". The closest machine to provide the recommended treatment is located in Jacksonville . It will require 6 to 8 weeks of daily treatments so he has to find a place to live in Jacksonville for 8 weeks .
Old 05-08-2013, 07:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
No health care facility which serves the general public may not add / open even 1 more bed without the approval of several Federal and State Regulators .

Any institution which accepts Medicare / Medicaid must jump through numerous approval " hoops " before they can expand an ER , add an additional OR or add new beds . Approval is even required for the additional of certain high tech diagnostic and / or treatment equipment .

Therefore one can certainly and accurately conclude that the Villages Hospital expansion was a long time in planning and must have made a very convincing

Today it is nearly impossible for a hospital to be able to add anything to existing physical plant . It is far more common for regulators to force hospitals to cut back on the number of beds or offering certain services . Most hospitals in the States and Cities in the north are being forced into consolidation and sharing expensive high tech equipment .

One of my good friends here in the Villages was just told that he has cancer and the recommended form of treatment is something called " Proton Therapy ". The closest machine to provide the recommended treatment is located in Jacksonville . It will require 6 to 8 weeks of daily treatments so he has to find a place to live in Jacksonville for 8 weeks .
Interesting point most of us have not even considered. Thank you for sharing that.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

hospitals need a CON cert of need..you can buy beds from another hosptial, but you can not generate new beds on your own..so to build a new hospital near brownwood, beds in the area hospital would have to be given up...one example is to make a two bed room into a private room...emergency rooms do not generate new beds...
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 AM

So in reality.....government regulations are in place to thwart COMPETITION!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post

Before anyone declares the "need" for proton beam therapy right here in TV where thousands of people are doing well after the usual cancer treatments available here and across the country, please read this article. This subject has been discussed for a few years as to whether the astronomical cost of the machinery is that much better than state of the art targeted radiation treatment:

Prostate Cancer Therapy Too Good to Be True Explodes Health Cost - Bloomberg
Old 05-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Again I have to go with Gracie

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am going to post this again, as I don't think anyone read it the last three times I have posted it. Our VHA rep for our village told us at a meeting that he had been told that because it was not possible to get an application approved for another hospital in this area (having to do with new laws) that plans were now to add on to the existing hospital and hopes were expressed that this might lure some competent medical people who would like to work at a larger facility.

I ask all of you the question that I cannot find an answer to.

How does any facility that can function for nine months with a certain population meet the needs of a hugely enlarged population for three months out of the year and that population being for lack of better words in "vacation mode" i.e. they don't have a doctor here and will let small issues go until they become big issues rather than do what the general population does and consult their local physician and stop a potentially serious health isssue from becoming an emergency?

The restaurants can hire more workers part time, but medical personnel are by defininition not so "portable" and "available".

We can rant and we can rave and we can anguish and we can protest, but who in this world can give us an answer. A bigger hospital can and will be built but where are the medical personnel coming from for those three months?
At all of the General Staff meeting I attended as an employee of TVRH I have been told much the same thing as Gracie described. The major problem is not building new facilities but in staffing that facility. Since we are a seasonal area it is not possible to keep adequate good staff during the down periods.
I shared with you last year that plans for the Brownwood expansion were no longer in effect. In fact, the certificate of need expired over a year ago.
Since the hospital is 84% Medicare dependent, and Medicare is or has been cut 17% to the hospitals that means that they have lost 17% of their remuneration for 84% or their patient. That is well over a million dollars.
When we hear of medicare cuts we have to realize it is not just us that the new healthcare mandates effect but also the hospital's.
Since I live down south it seems that a larger percentage of the new people moving in are full timers. This will impact the hospital in good and bad ways. Unfortunately the bad may precede the good.
As far as the ability to staff the hospital adequately goes the demographics in this area works against us. There just aren't that many working age people living in this area. With the price of gas it makes it easier for those in outlying towns to work closer to home.
I have never been to Watermann hospital in Tavares but I do know that the two medical systems in Ocala are good. I also know that due to the inpatient remuneration problem the hospitals are focusing on outpatient expansion more than inpatient.
I was never given the opinion that Morse was financing the hospital so that makes it a business and makes it important for them to watch the bottom line. This is just a fact of life. We may have to wait patiently for relief from this problem, in the meantime we do have other options for inpatient health care.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
That is just silly, hospital business is booming in America's healthiest hometown, because we are all old and have insurance.
:BigApplaus e:
Old 05-15-2013, 08:37 PM

They can make the hospital as big as they want, but if they do not improve the practice and process of how the deliver healthcare their quality ratings will remain in the dumper.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Buckeyes View Post
So in reality.....government regulations are in place to thwart COMPETITION!
not so much about competition, as about how many beds can be filled...most surgery is done as an outpatient, even total joints are out in two to three days...hospital are pairing down due to lack of business in many states..some working full tilt on some days and have days with only half staff on other days...its the new way to run hospitals and make a profit another hospital would be convient for south of 466a but unless you had a mass triage you would have empty beds and that equals 0 dollars in, many dollars out..Doctors are now using more PAa and NPs than ever..just think one doctor sixty patients and he may only see a few of the sixty the rest are seen by PA or NP its the new wave of medical office visits, you still pay the same amount but never see the Dr

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.