$50M Hospital expansion

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts
Default $50M Hospital expansion

For all the out of towners..............

$50M Hospital expansion will double size of emergency room - The Villages Daily Sun: Villages
Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM

So where are all those threads about them building a new hospital down by Brownwood? It went back and forth.... No.. they are expanding on the current one... No, they are BUILDING a new one by Brownwood for the people in the south and that area. They even have the land put aside and approved.
Some how me thinks that would be a bit too much now. There were some people that said they had heard it from a reliable source. What is the source saying now?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Does anyone know who is financing this expansion?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 PM

Does it matter? What are your thoughts here? The developer? Government funds? It is just nice they are doing it.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am going to post this again, as I don't think anyone read it the last three times I have posted it. Our VHA rep for our village told us at a meeting that he had been told that because it was not possible to get an application approved for another hospital in this area (having to do with new laws) that plans were now to add on to the existing hospital and hopes were expressed that this might lure some competent medical people who would like to work at a larger facility.

I ask all of you the question that I cannot find an answer to.

How does any facility that can function for nine months with a certain population meet the needs of a hugely enlarged population for three months out of the year and that population being for lack of better words in "vacation mode" i.e. they don't have a doctor here and will let small issues go until they become big issues rather than do what the general population does and consult their local physician and stop a potentially serious health isssue from becoming an emergency?

The restaurants can hire more workers part time, but medical personnel are by defininition not so "portable" and "available".

We can rant and we can rave and we can anguish and we can protest, but who in this world can give us an answer. A bigger hospital can and will be built but where are the medical personnel coming from for those three months?
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Does anyone know who is financing this expansion?
Second paragraph of article............guess you missed it.
Half of the costs will be paid for with Central Florida Health Alliance reserves, while the remaining portion will be borrowed.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am going to post this again, as I don't think anyone read it the last three times I have posted it. Our VHA rep for our village told us at a meeting that he had been told that because it was not possible to get an application approved for another hospital in this area (having to do with new laws) that plans were now to add on to the existing hospital and hopes were expressed that this might lure some competent medical people who would like to work at a larger facility.

I ask all of you the question that I cannot find an answer to.

How does any facility that can function for nine months with a certain population meet the needs of a hugely enlarged population for three months out of the year and that population being for lack of better words in "vacation mode" i.e. they don't have a doctor here and will let small issues go until they become big issues rather than do what the general population does and consult their local physician and stop a potentially serious health isssue from becoming an emergency?

The restaurants can hire more workers part time, but medical personnel are by defininition not so "portable" and "available".

We can rant and we can rave and we can anguish and we can protest, but who in this world can give us an answer. A bigger hospital can and will be built but where are the medical personnel coming from for those three months?
You will not get your answer on this blog.......only opinions and guesses. You need to contact Don Henderson, CEO of CFHA with your question.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Sage

The newspaper headline should have read: "Hospital Business Booming In America's Healthiest Hometown. What went wrong?"
Old 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Thank goodness they are doing something to improve the hospital ER problem and increase the number of hospital beds. Glad to see the construction will begin soon.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
The newspaper headline should have read: "Hospital Business Booming In America's Healthiest Hometown. What went wrong?"
That is just silly, hospital business is booming in America's healthiest hometown, because we are all old and have insurance.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
That is just silly, hospital business is booming in America's healthiest hometown, because we are all old and have insurance.
Being "old" is no excuse, Golfingnut. Anyway, how old are you? I'm 72, have been living in The Villages since 1999, and have never been to the hospital for any reason. A truly healthy lifestyle should keep most elderly people out of the hospital. But the problem, as I see it, is that more than 2/3 of our elderly are overweight or obese.

Being "old" is no excuse.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
TOTV Moderator

Back on topic, please.....TVRH expansion project.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

To meet increased needs during snowbird season, for example, they hire nurses through agencies for that period only. My nephew (RN) worked at both hospitals a couple of years back. They wanted him to come back the following winter, but much as he liked both facilities he prefers to work in bigger areas (NYC, Baltimore, Denver among others where he has been). They are called travelers and they make considerably more than regular, full-time nurses.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
snipped

when i worked in a local 500 bed hospital, we hired 'seasonal' employees. many often came from a state that provided reciprocity re licensing and they took a 3 month leave of absence from their primary job so that they could spend the summer at the jersey shore! our beaches, the ocean and the pay rates are attractive!

Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 PM

Anything to lessen waiting times in the ER has to be a good thing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.