$52,380 per spot Wildwood City Hall Parking

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2023, 04:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

If the place progresses like multi-storey car parks here in UK, it will soon after completion be taken over by the homeless, winos, and drug dealers.
The stair wells and elevators will stink of urine, and no one in their right mind will venture in after dark, or at all, if alternative is available.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I think you have the garage on the wrong side of 301. It is on the west side, next to Nick's Trains and near Miz Kathi's Cotilion. City Hall is across the street.

If City Hall inhabitants do use the garage, rather than the 50 spots at City Hall, then they will be freeing up spots elsewhere for customers to use. One way or another there will be 90 additional parking places.

I have no idea how many parking places are needed but planning ahead is rarely a bad thing.
Maybe City Hall will provide reserved parking for employees in the new parking garage, thus leaving the parking area next to City Hall available for people who have business there. Employees would have to walk a block and cross 301, but would get free covered parking. I think a lot of older people would find the hike from the car park difficult. As for the Ace Hardware parking lot, that’s a couple blocks away. It would be difficult to get City Hall customers to hike from there. They might walk that far to a restaurant or a free concert in a town square or a craft show, but not to City Hall.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I haven’t seen the Wildwood city annual budget so a lot of speculation on this Thread. 50k per parking slot does seem costly. Some residents would like some sort of city subsidy for affordable housing but perhaps that is in the budget elsewhere.
I finally looked at the drawings on a large screen.

Very small footprint for a parking garage. Roughly 1/3 of the space is ramps to get to the upper level. Which is probably why the cost per space is so high.

Last edited by Altavia; 12-13-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:49 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

I have not seen their plans for downtown but it makes sense to provide parking before it is needed. I just do not understand why they would put anything on the other side of a busy highway by the train tracks.
Old 12-13-2023, 08:57 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Instead of a parking garage they should be making a truck route around downtown...... I don't care how much they fluff up Wildwood, if people have to walk inches from huge trucks barreling down 301.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Haven’t been to area for couple of years, only drive by. Parking for thrift seems very busy, and Miz Cathy’s parking was hard to come by. But what other businesses, besides the train store is within walking distance for clients that doesn’t already have parking space? Would hav e thought a retail on lower level with parking on top would At least bring in more retail. But just an opinion
Old 12-13-2023, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
I have not seen their plans for downtown but it makes sense to provide parking before it is needed. I just do not understand why they would put anything on the other side of a busy highway by the train tracks.
- It's an easy win to expand existing parking vertically.
- Provide parking for current commercial properties on that side of 301
- Provide parking for future commercial properties on that side of 301
- Provide parking near future pedestrian overpass for access to west side of railroad

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 12-13-2023, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

Just one step of the long term plans for Wildwood. Need to see the entire picture before jumping to conclusions about one parking garage.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Haven’t been to area for couple of years, only drive by. Parking for thrift seems very busy, and Miz Cathy’s parking was hard to come by. But what other businesses, besides the train store is within walking distance for clients that doesn’t already have parking space? Would hav e thought a retail on lower level with parking on top would At least bring in more retail. But just an opinion
Long term plans of updating that stretch of 301 in Wildwood are in place. More to come.
Old 12-13-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMack View Post
The amount is excessive, but it isn’t your money so why worry?
Yes it is our money, I pay about $800 a year in taxes to Wildwood!
Old 12-13-2023, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
If the place progresses like multi-storey car parks here in UK, it will soon after completion be taken over by the homeless, winos, and drug dealers.
The stair wells and elevators will stink of urine, and no one in their right mind will venture in after dark, or at all, if alternative is available.
We don’t have those problems in the US.
Old 12-13-2023, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
We don’t have those problems in the US.
Um, in some places, We do. Sorry to break the news.
Closed Thread

Tags
wasted, space, it’s, hall, spot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.