55 yr.old woman dies near golf cart bridge.

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
The time is critical for the amount of darkness, traffic and the like especially on a highway like US 441/27.

Not sure how the Lady Lake Sheriff's Office got 2:24 AM. Probably just an estimation. I would not be looking the car's clock if I had just hit something in the road. I do feel for the kids in this car as this will be a traumatic memory they will have to deal with the rest of their very young lives.
There is a Camera between the parking lot and the base of the Bridge on the side opposite the Dog Park. It's not a guesstimation. It's probably very likely a fact.

I feel for all who are involved even remotely involved. Probably a whole lot of Monday Morning Quarterbacking going on now. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda. Just a shame and maybe a crime? There is no Camera yet on the Dog Park Side of the Bridge that I've seen. Who knows what happened.

I hope the powers that be secure the bridges that are coming over the Florida Turnpike. I mention it in a constructive manner totally. There must be a better solution than bridges.

Is there a fund for the girls family? I don't know where to look honestly. We are fortunate people and could probably lend a helping hand financially.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Just hope they don't over react and build fences on the bridges.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-05-2019, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
There is a Camera between the parking lot and the base of the Bridge on the side opposite the Dog Park. It's not a guesstimation. It's probably very likely a fact.

I feel for all who are involved even remotely involved. Probably a whole lot of Monday Morning Quarterbacking going on now. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda. Just a shame and maybe a crime? There is no Camera yet on the Dog Park Side of the Bridge that I've seen. Who knows what happened.

I hope the powers that be secure the bridges that are coming over the Florida Turnpike. I mention it in a constructive manner totally. There must be a better solution than bridges.

Is there a fund for the girls family? I don't know where to look honestly. We are fortunate people and could probably lend a helping hand financially.
You think they checked the camera and got the time from that? Could be. I think that they made their reports there and then but could be NOTHING but wrong.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Just hope they don't over react and build fences on the bridges.
I doubt it as that is not that much of a fall. Terrible way to go. And you just might wind up with a broken back and be a burden to your family.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:

What do you mean “secure” the bridges?

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 03-05-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
What do you “secure” the bridges?
You do like they did at Cornell several years ago on the bridges that went over the gorges because of suicides. They installed nets several feet below the railings which catch people trying to jump. The nets are made of a material which essentially traps that person in the net if they do jump. They monitor the nets and know if somebody jumps into them. From what I can find, since they installed these nets they have only had one attempt and that person was rescued by firefighters. They had a big problem there with students killing themselves on the bridges and that has now stopped. There was 3 in 2010 alone.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
You do like they did at Cornell several years ago on the bridges that went over the gorges because of suicides. They installed nets several feet below the railings which catch people trying to jump. The nets are made of a material which essentially traps that person in the net if they do jump. They monitor the nets and know if somebody jumps into them. From what I can find, since they installed these nets they have only had one attempt and that person was rescued by firefighters. They had a big problem there with students killing themselves on the bridges and that has now stopped. There was 3 in 2010 alone.
Really doubt if golf cart bridges are or will be a problem with suicides. Maybe for rocks being thrown onto the highway.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:18 PM

Very sad.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Really doubt if golf cart bridges are or will be a problem with suicides. Maybe for rocks being thrown onto the highway.
Been here 19 years, first event of a jumper, don’t know the history prior. Don’t recall any stone throwers either.
No need to OVER react to this one incident.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Been here 19 years, first event of a jumper, don’t know the history prior. Don’t recall any stone throwers either.
No need to OVER react to this one incident.
Thank you. A little common sense..... is that allowed?
Old 03-05-2019, 06:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
What do you mean “secure” the bridges?
I have been the recipient of a boulder thrown off a bridge on Rte 78 in Clinton N.J. It is a noise that you can never forget. It sounded like a Grenade exploded in the car and glass covered everyone in my Minivan about 30 years ago. Thankfully we were not seriously injured and the State Troopers did an unbelievable job taking care of us.

Some people have been killed or injured by things thrown from bridge overpasses. Teens charged with murder after dropping sandbag off overpass Video - ABC News

The one I remember most vividly was a Frozen Turkey being thrown off a bridge into passing traffic. Victoria Ruvolo, who was hit by turkey nearly 6 years ago, forgives teens for a terrible prank
By JONATHAN LEMIRE
| DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER |
NOV 07, 2010 | 7:42 AM You will have to Google this story.

Back when the Tunnel VS Bridge debate was going on about crossing to all the new construction in The Villages these stories were on my mind but never specifically mentioned them because I didn't want to give anyone a specific idea.

This tragedy has changed that. What if the person who jumped went through the window of the person who unfortunately ran her over instead? It would have been an even worse situation.

If it's going to be Bridges which it certainly appears it is going to be then it needs to be secured by a fence from side to side and over the top so nobody can replicate this incident or throw anything onto the TURNPIKE.

Another great solution could be something like this video from Youtube. 20-5-2016 Timelapse A12 70 meter tunnel in one weekend under highway!! - YouTube

I don't mean to be anything other than helpful and constructive, that is my intention. I still feel sorry for everyone involved and hopefully, we can prevent the next situation.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Sage

I said my piece and you may not agree but in N.J. there was a constant supply of jumpers off The Driscoll Bridge, Route 9 Bridge and Route 35 Bridge which all run next to one another over the Raritan River. Most people perished but a close family friend of mine was so plastered he survived and was scooped up by people Crabbing in a small boat. Being wasted saved his life, just a few broken ribs and a lumped up face.

The subject is close to me and the Golf Cart Bridge is in my neighborhood so I am mostly concerned with that particular one. I will never be on the Florida Pike under the new bridges if they are enclosed or not. This entire thing just sucks. My effort of relaying what I know will probably get trampled and what can I do other than relay my experience on the matter.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:49 PM
fw102807

Quote:
I said my piece and you may not agree but in N.J. there was a constant supply of jumpers off The Driscoll Bridge, Route 9 Bridge and Route 35 Bridge which all run next to one another over the Raritan River. Most people perished but a close family friend of mine was so plastered he survived and was scooped up by people Crabbing in a small boat. Being wasted saved his life, just a few broken ribs and a lumped up face.

The subject is close to me and the Golf Cart Bridge is in my neighborhood so I am mostly concerned with that particular one. I will never be on the Florida Pike under the new bridges if they are enclosed or not. This entire thing just sucks. My effort of relaying what I know will probably get trampled and what can I do other than relay my experience on the matter.
Objects thrown off bridges onto major highways was common up in my neck of the woods also and 5 teens were charged with murder in Michigan for throwing a stone off a bridge that killed a man.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:57 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:

Life has not changed since you left - most sadly. Those bridges are still "favorites" Nor do we have a State govt willing to go the extra mile and enclose more of them as was once done. Nor is that same govt willing to fund add'l resources to counsel people desperate enough t0 jump or otherwise take their life. If the Gov signs the bill to legalize marijuana only the Lord knows what will happen! To its credit the State has stepped up its funding of addiction clinics...so why legalize marijuana...makes no sense to me!

Old 03-05-2019, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Sadly she chose to end her life, but also changed dramatically the lives of two young souls. Hoping there is the ability to get help for them.

Tags
police, bridge, golf, cart, roadway

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.