73 year old man fired by Cracker Barrel f

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Gold member
Default 73 year old man fired by Cracker Barrel f

I spent a career in the military, but I think I side with the restaurant on this one. The guy had been warned five times. The only time I eat at CB anyway is when invited out by friends who think the food is good...I personally don't care for their stuff, so I always just order breakfast items.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken View Post
I spent a career in the military, but I think I side with the restaurant on this one. The guy had been warned five times. The only time I eat at CB anyway is when invited out by friends who think the food is good...I personally don't care for their stuff, so I always just order breakfast items.
What was he fired for?

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts
Default Being a Good Samaritan and using Cracker Barrel property to do so.

Here's the story--
Venice veteran says he lost job after giving muffin to needy person - Sarasota News | Mysuncoast.com and ABC 7: Local News

It sounds like the right decision by Cracker Barrel. The man just should have bought the items and then handed them out to the needy.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:34 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

The company warned him five previous times not to do it anymore. He seems to be a very generous person with someone else's money. He could have just as easily reached into his own pocket and given the guy a couple of bucks, but instead he decided to reach into his employers pocket instead.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:59 AM
Veteran member

Yes, OK, he did break the rules, 5 times was it, but really how cheap can a company be. A muffin, a packet of mayonnaise, a cup of coffee, OVER A THREE YEAR time period. Seriously, a cup of coffee??? They may have right on their side, but I'm just glad I don't work for them.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:43 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Let me guess the food had probably previously been plated and not eaten so it goes straight to the dumpster. That's not unusual for a restaurant to do. I'm not shocked by this story.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:00 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
Yes, OK, he did break the rules, 5 times was it, but really how cheap can a company be. A muffin, a packet of mayonnaise, a cup of coffee, OVER A THREE YEAR time period. Seriously, a cup of coffee??? They may have right on their side, but I'm just glad I don't work for them.
I don't think it's a matter of the cost of the items he stole, but the fact that it's theft.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsonci View Post
Next thing ya know he'll want to roll threw a stop signs clearly has an issue obeying the rules
Old 07-01-2014, 06:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Next thing ya know he'll want to roll threw a stop signs clearly has an issue obeying the rules
He probably does that too. Good thing he didn't steal a biscuit. No telling what they would have done!
Old 07-01-2014, 06:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Reality is restaurant employees get written up for all kind of infractions from drinking a soda to patrons leaving without paying. According to this gentleman, he was written up twice. Once for drinking a small amount of soda, once for giving a patron another cup of coffee after her table had been cleared. Who knows what the other three infractions were for. To me, this was a case of morally right even though legally wrong. CB got a well-deserved poke in the eye for their reaction.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
He probably does that too. Good thing he didn't steal a biscuit. No telling what they would have done!
This has hurt Cracker Barrel in all the bad publicity a lot more than any employee theft. I wonder if his actions were well known to other employees and that Cracker Barrel manager just wanted to make sure others were not going to follow his example of handing out Cracker Barrel property?

Not sure if I have ever eaten at a Cracker Barrel.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Reality is restaurant employees get written up for all kind of infractions from drinking a soda to patrons leaving without paying. According to this gentleman, he was written up twice. Once for drinking a small amount of soda, once for giving a patron another cup of coffee after her table had been cleared. Who knows what the other three infractions were for. To me, this was a case of morally right even though legally wrong. CB got a well-deserved poke in the eye for their reaction.
I agree stealing is stealing but I have no sympathy for corporate losing revenue over this story.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:52 AM
Gold member

I don't agree with the company policy but I do agree he should have been fired and I believe that the man who was fired also agrees. He admitted that he knowingly broke the rules 5 times. Why this story is on the news I have no idea!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
You read my mind!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 AM
Sage

I sincerely doubt if this action will hurt Cracker Barrel business one iota.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.