8 PM Curfew

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2009, 12:33 AM
Veteran member
Question 8 PM Curfew

Just wondering...

How many posters are happy with the 8 PM curfew now in effect for entertainment at local Country Clubs?

Was at Havana CC this evening while the Sheriff was shutting down the entainment at about 7:45 due to numerous complaints!

Had I known I was expected to be in bed by 8PM I might have moved elsewhere.

All kidding aside, I live very close to Havana CC, do not mind the music, in fact I enjoy it, and just want to know why the big fuss about about music at the CC?

Oh, and who the hell are the cranky old Bast--ds who complained?

Last edited by Whalen; 11-16-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:40 AM
Veteran member

I didn't realize that there is a curfew. We were at Mallory Sat nite and they did stop at 8, but I assumed that it was that particular group's choice. I think that it stinks. This place is beginning to close up earlier and earlier. There are some of us that don't feel the need to be in bed by 9:30! Guess that I'll have to start spending my money outside of TV for my evening entertainment. Oh, well, it's TV's loss of my revenue!
Old 11-16-2009, 07:55 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
Just wondering...

How many posters are happy with the 8 PM curfew now in effect for entertainment at local Country Clubs?

Was at Havana CC this evening while the Sheriff was shutting down the entainment at about 7:45 due to numerous complaints!

Had I known I was expected to be in bed by 8PM I might have moved elsewhere.

All kidding aside, I live very close to Havana CC, do not mind the music, in fact I enjoy it, and just want to know why the big fuss about about music at the CC?

Oh, and who the hell are the cranky old Bast--ds who complained?
Some of you know, I've been upset with the Sheriff's office for months about this situation. What are they thinking? This is absolutely absurd. I have heard its just the Sumter Sheriff's office, not Marion county. At Gator's the other night, the DJ (Patrick) was given a timeline of his deadlines of stopping the music and pulling drinks off the table for the rest of the evening. Are they nuts???

I've written this before and I'll continue to repeat myself.... we're here for retirement and we bought in TV for the activities and music and fun. We pay TAXES.... and this is how we are treated? I'm not a boomer, believe me I'm far from it, but look around, the boomer generation will not stand for this. Neither will all the tremendous talented entertainers that we attract here.

For those in the know (com'on you guys, like Skip, Fumar, l2ride, Steve from NY, etc.) how do we fight this. I have no intention of ending my nights at 8pm!!! Can we start a petition, call the sheriff's office, ALL go to the next Morse meeting to complain? I'm infuriated and I'd like to hear some of your suggestions. We need to reverse this stupid decision IMMEDIATELY.

WOW, you can tell I'm mad huh

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-16-2009, 08:48 AM
Founder

I don't know anything about this curfew.

Would somebody please fill in the blanks. What curfew? Who's curfewed? How long has this been going on? By what law or ordinance can they shut things down?

JLK

Curfew, by the way, comes from the french, meaning "to cover the fire." That was the time of night that authorities covered the lights to indicate that people should be off the street.

In my home town of Weirton, West Virginia, they sounded all the fire whistles at 10 p.m. to tell people under 16 years of age that they had to be off the streets. We always thought that somehow, magically at 10:01 the cops would swoop down out of nowhere and snag us.

JLK
Old 11-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Veteran member
Angry Vote

Is the sheriff an elected office?
Old 11-16-2009, 09:15 AM
Dancing Thyme

TH, this has been slowing building up for awhile. I've posted some issues many times over the summer about the restrictions that are being put upon us about entertainment after 9pm.

Here's one link that I could find:

RJ Gators Karaoke

It started out with Red Sauce karaoke this summer where there were in excess of 800 people surrounding the restaurant after 9pm to enjoy the music and fun. And because of the pressure from the Sheriff's office, we moved over to RJ Gators and complied with every demand they made (like no music outside, keeping the music to a sound level that was acceptable, no dancing outside, music until midnight and no drinks after then also), but still that was not acceptable. They now have officially made a CURFEW!! ???? Are we children? Do we not have rights? What the hail is going on here.

We have also moved over to Marion Country, Big City Grill, next to Katie Belle's. Again, we have complied with all the requests (unhappily but we complied). Music is NOT OUTSIDE, music is kept to an acceptable level, music and drinks stop at 1am. And still the restaurant owners are being harassed by Property Management and the Sheriff's Office...

I hope this fills in the blanks and that we (TOTV'ers - who have a lot of clout) can come up with an idea to show our annoyance with this harassment.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Platinum member
Default Media coverage

Oh, I can't wait to read the juicy details in the Daily Sun!

(I'll have to dig on this.)

Skip
Old 11-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default I am sure you will eventually find that like all the other

public venues in our lives whether it be TV, the state or federal......as a result of the groans and moans of the few (known as the minority) are directing the administrators (what ever they be) to act against the wishes of the many (known as the majority).

And I will bet......just like all the other venues.....the few will prevail.....because they took an action. The majority never seems to reach critical mass......hence we follow!

btk
Old 11-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Curfew

I haven't had a curfew like that since 1st grade. That's totaly nuts. There must be a town or county meeting that can be attented in mass numbers. All you see in the papers is thank goodness for all the people moving intoThe Villages. It's so good for the econemy. To hell with the people who don't like music and noise. Move elsewhere. Be sides the noise from the clubs is really not that much.This has to be addressed. Next they'll be complaining about the noise from gas powered golf carts. It's a bunch of bull if you ask me.I guess they couldn't enforce a curfew outside the property for the kids so they pull the plug on the older kids in the villages. Does anyone know of town or county meetings that are held? If so when and where?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Platinum member
Default Curfew?!?

You have got to be kidding!! Most times back home, we didn't even go out or get started until 8:00 except to be there in time for Happy Hour. Trust me, we are definitely not baby boomers, either. But we sure ain't old fogeys (or however you spell it). Guess if you can't spell it, you can't be it.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 11-16-2009, 12:07 PM

I am in TOTAL agreement with you all regarding this issue of an 8pm curfew (or whatever you want to call it). It seems to me that we are being treated like naughty children who enjoy themselves too much for the likes of the folks who are "put out" at the noise level after 8pm. I felt it first when New Year's Eve went from entertainment till midnight at the Square to an end of music at 9pm! Then after having fun listening to the music this summer at redsauce, it was suddenly put brought to a halt. I mean really...just because we are usually mild mannered adults, we are being bullied into forced submission to keep a few folks happy. I am all for attending any meetings regarding this issue or if you know who to call, I'll be happy to join that bandwagon as well. I want to be able to make my own decisions about when to go home in the evening and not be told what to do and when to do it.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Talk about patently ridiculous.

Probably the first step would be to inundate Sumter County Sheriff with complaints. If you chose to buy near a town square for the convenience of quick and easy access, your tradeoff is you get to hear the noise and bear the traffic. I'd also find out when TV administrative meetings are held and complain there. Also, start petitions to be signed by customers at the country clubs, town squares, etc.

BTW -- None of the town squares (nor any portion or them) are in Marion County. Katie Belle's, etc. might be in Lake County, but I wouldn't swear to it one way or the other.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Veteran member

Can't swim at the pools after sunset,8 pm curfew at local Country Clubs,what is next bed checks at 9pm?
How ridiculous, like BTK said a few people stir the pot and complain,and the rest of us suffer,sad.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp52 View Post
Can't swim at the pools after sunset,8 pm curfew at local Country Clubs,what is next bed checks at 9pm?
How ridiculous, like BTK said a few people stir the pot and complain,and the rest of us suffer,sad.
I'm wondering what law they are enforcing. Part of the problem with living in a community where there is no government elected by the people.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Default curfew

what a crock of sh--!!! i think this needs to be addressed to "mr morse" himself personally, i know he has some pull, for gods sake we pay the sheriffs salary and all his little guys, if it was'nt for us i wonder who would pay his outrageous salary and all his cronies!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.