8 PM Curfew

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Default curfew

don't forget to CLOSE YOUR GARAGE - BY 8:00 pm
Old 11-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Default Big Negative !

We are planning to buy in TV this spring but this curfew business is a downer. If I wanted to roll up the streets at 8:00 pm I would be looking for a retirement home in Arkansas. I hope you current TV'ers do something about this. The nightly entertainment is a huge reason TV is so special. Damn!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Default My question is this .....

My quesion would be this ............... if everyone decided not to pay any attention to the bumblng cronies who began this curfew thing, where would they incarcerate 800 people? Who would feed them, etc and for how long?
Sonds like a lot of 60s rallies.

Jerry

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRMnLgs View Post
My quesion would be this ............... if everyone decided not to pay any attention to the bumblng cronies who began this curfew thing, where would they incarcerate 800 people? Who would feed them, etc and for how long?

Jerry

Hey, hey, hey. Just like the 60s. Lay down in front of the bus..
Old 11-16-2009, 12:45 PM
Gold member

There seems to be two different issues at play here. One is music played in outdoor venues and the other is indoor entertainment. I believe the Havana CC falls into the outdoor category. While 8 PM seems a bit early, if I lived on one of the streets that borders Havana, I would not be too happy with music coming into my house late at night either. It certainly would not be something that I should have expected when I bought my property for my dream retirement.

The other issue is indoor entertainment. If indeed venues such as Gators are being asked to close down their entertainment early (and even the bar as Kathie indicated), then there may be a cause for real complaint - unless the noise levels actually "leak" out of the bar such that they can be clearly heard in residential neighborhoods.

I suggest that if Havana wants to continue its music after 9 or perhaps 10 PM that they do it inside so that they don't disturb the neighbors. Clearly in my mind outdoor entertainment in a residential neighborhood such as Havana should be restricted after a reasonable hour. There is no reason (other than inconsiderateness) why it can't be moved indoors if they want to extend the night. If you disagree with this, try this thought experiment: consider your neighbor putting a large stereo out on his lanai and playing music and having a party there many nights of the week, every week. I doubt that too many would want such a thing and they would be going to the authorities to curtail it.

PS - I'm a baby boomer who does like to occasionally enjoy live entertainment late at night. However, I also recognize that we are a large community and we need to be considerate of our neighbors to keep this place as nice as it is. Once consideration goes, then the beauty of TV will vanish.

Last edited by NJblue; 11-16-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Veteran member

This is a Sumter County issue. The county Commissioners are holding a monthly meeting :
Title: Board of County Commissioners - Regular Meeting
Date: November 24, 2009
Address: 510 Colony Boulevard
The Villages, FL 32162
Hours: 5:00 PM
Email: Jessica.douglas@sumtercountyfl.gov
Maybe attending this meeting is an opportunity to bring something up to the powers that be. I don't know how open these meetings are. An interesting figure in today's paper shows the county population at about 95,000. The Villages probably constitutes the majority of the population.

Sumter County Link: http://www.sumtercountyfl.gov/index.aspx

The County Code showing beverage laws are accessable here.

Last edited by DickY; 11-16-2009 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add additional info
Old 11-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRMnLgs View Post

Jerry
Jerry, what I'm hearing is they are threatening the restaurant owners with fines that are huge. That's all they need, in addition to paying high rents to have a business in the villages. Some of the owners have protested a lot but got no where and they asked us (the Villagers) to get involved to help them.

I started a petition a few months back regarding the Red Sauce restrictions. I'm going to reword it in general about these new rules and will pass them around at Gators, Havana and Big City Grill those nights that I am there. Hope you'll will sign them for US, not just ME.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post

I started a petition a few months back regarding the Red Sauce restrictions. I'm going to reword it in general about these new rules and will pass them around at Gators, Havana and Big City Grill those nights that I am there. Hope you'll will sign them for US, not just ME.
Why not create a petition for Havana management to move the entertainment inside. If they are still harrassed, then petition the powers that be.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Dancing Thyme

[QUOTE=NJblue;233850]
....... If you disagree with this, try this thought experiment: consider your neighbor putting a large stereo out on his lanai and playing music and having a party there many nights of the week, every week. I doubt that too many would want such a thing and they would be going to the authorities to curtail it./QUOTE]

NJBlue, this is a lot different than a neighbor right next door putting out a stereo on his lanai, Havana has a golf course inbetween the CC and the nearest houses. I also have said that they have kept the level of the music to a moderate sound and are trying very hard to be considerate of everyone around them. If you bought around a country club, I would think you would have thought about noise and traffic surrounding the CC. BTW, 10pm is not late, most big cities have at least 11pm noise ordinances and some at midnight.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Havana

I would not consider Havana in close proximity to houses. Morse Blvd. is to the east so houses are quite a distance, as are the houses on odell. The closest would probaly be the one that's for rent on the N. side of Odell that backs up to the country club even that is several thousand feet from the music itself.As for quiet time yes there should be some consideration but not 8PM. Let's look at it they let the contractors start at 7AM and a lot of people are sleeping at that time. It also seems to me there were postings on here regarding Havana miy have had to close due to pooor buisness, so they found a way to make some money and stay open. Now they're making to much noise. I hope the complainers are golfers and might have to go elsewhere to play. I think the meeting and petitions are a good place to start.
Kathy I don't know how to do it but I've received many a petition on line that you sign and pass on. That maybe a much better way or a helpfull way to start.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
If you bought around a country club, I would think you would have thought about noise and traffic surrounding the CC. BTW, 10pm is not late, most big cities have at least 11pm noise ordinances and some at midnight.
No, if I bought around a CC I would expect an occasional golf ball hitting my house and perhaps the sound of a drunk leaving an indoor bar once in awhile. I would not expect the sounds of a live, outdoor band to fill the air on a regular basis. The distance from the CC to the houses at Havana really isn't that much. It wouldn't take much for a live band or a industrial sized stereo to create a nuisance. There is a very simple solution - move the entrtainment inside. You seem like a very thoughtful and considerate person, I'm surprised that you would expect residents to put up with that noise just so a few can party outdoors rather than indoors.

As to the "big city" issue - note that TV is not in a big city. If people wanted to retire in a big city, then that is what they should expect.
However, when retiring to TV, I don't think people should be subjected to late night noise.

Last edited by NJblue; 11-16-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
No, if I bought around a CC I would expect an occasional golf ball hitting my house and perhaps the sound of a drunk leaving an indoor bar once in awhile. I would not expect the sounds of a live, outdoor band to fill the air on a regular basis. The distance from the CC to the houses at Havana really isn't that much. It wouldn't take much for a live band or a industrial sized stereo to create a nuisance. There is a very simple solution - move the entrtainment inside. You seem like a very thoughtful and considerate person, I'm surprised that you would expect residents to put up with that noise just so a few can party outdoors rather than indoors.

As to the "big city" issue - note that TV is not in a big city. If people wanted to retire in a big city, then that is what they should expect.
However, when retiring to TV, I don't think people should be subjected to late night noise.

I live on Odell and my house is closer to Havana than most houses across from the CC.

The noise level is quite tolerable and shifts with the wind, sometimes you can't hear it at all.
And if you really want to block out the noise you can close the lanai door.....
silence.

Last edited by Whalen; 11-16-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I live on Odell and my house is closer to Havana than most houses across from the CC.

The noise level is quite tolerable and shifts with the wind, sometimes you can't hear it at all.
And if you really want to block out the noise you can close the lanai door.....
silence.
Perhaps, but I bicycle around Aberdeen Run a lot and those houses have a beautiful view of the CC. I have also heard the sounds of live bands in a residential neighborhood and know how far the noise travels. If you are on Odell, there is a lot to block the sound of the noise. Those on Aberdeen have bothing to block the noise.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Eternal Member

I would much prefer to hear music past 8pm than I would to hear lawnmowers mowing grass at 7am but I don't complain about either since I am mature enough to realize the ones producing both these sounds are trying to make a living ; one entertaining and the other beautifying the area.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
Perhaps, but I bicycle around Aberdeen Run a lot and those houses have a beautiful view of the CC. I have also heard the sounds of live bands in a residential neighborhood and know how far the noise travels. If you are on Odell, there is a lot to block the sound of the noise. Those on Aberdeen have bothing to block the noise.

I also have a beautiful view of the CC with only a few skinny trees between us and the out door entertainment.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.