8 PM Curfew

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I also have a beautiful view of the CC with only a few skinny trees between us and the out door entertainment.
I suggest that you go over to Aberdeen Run the next time that there is outdoor music at the CC and see what the sound levels on their lanais are. I suspect that they are quite loud for "numerous" people to be complaining.

If the music were not stopped, what time would it normally end? You said that people could close their windows if they didn't want to hear it. Perhaps you could force people to do without fresh air and run their AC more - or perhaps the entertainment could be done indoors. This way everyone gets something. (BTW, claiming that we are under a "curfew" is a bit disengenous and misleading.)
Old 11-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I grew up at Cedar Lake Indiana and we had a place called Midway Ballroom on the lake.
On a nice summer evening you could hear the sounds of the bands coming from across the lake. In the 50's they had big name dance bands, then as time went on they had country,rock, disco etc. It is all torn down now and only a fond memory of mine.
I can here the music at Spanish Springs and sometimes I can hear Sumter landing if the wind is blowing this way.
At times I will grab a cocktail and set outside and listen and look at the stars,and enjoy the sounds of the distant music.
If I wanted to live in a place where the streets are rolled up early and everyone toasts with Geritol then I would have bought a home at Sun City Center.
Maybe a compromise would work and allow the music to continue at least on Friday and Sat. nights.
New Years Eve is another night it should be allowed.
Chrissy and I do not stay out late, but I think TV should allow them to have music as long as they keep things to a respectable level.
HEY MORSE>>>>>people buy homes here to have fun and enjoy themselves....take things away and people will look elsewhere to buy.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I can here the music at Spanish Springs and sometimes I can hear Sumter landing if the wind is blowing this way.
At times I will grab a cocktail and set outside and listen and look at the stars,and enjoy the sounds of the distant music.
Are you a golf shot away from Spanish Springs? When you bought did you know there was going to be outdoor music there? Does it stop at 9 PM? I suspect that until you have heard what the complaining people have complained about it is hard to relate. To automatically assume that the music is a "distant" sound bringing back long ago fond memories may be an improper assumption.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
I don't think people should be subjected to late night noise.
I do not consider 9pm LATE NIGHT. If music can be played at the Squares until 9pm I do not believe 10PM for the Country Clubs is unreasonable.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
Perhaps, but I bicycle around Aberdeen Run a lot and those houses have a beautiful view of the CC. I have also heard the sounds of live bands in a residential neighborhood and know how far the noise travels. If you are on Odell, there is a lot to block the sound of the noise. Those on Aberdeen have bothing to block the noise.
Shall the next move be to force the High School band to perform in doors for foot ball games? If you're in Bonybrook and such, those drums are loud!

Yes, move to a new town to have some good retirement fun, then out law all fun but the kind that you like. Did I get it right?

Yoda
Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Some of you know, I've been upset with the Sheriff's office for months about this situation. What are they thinking? This is absolutely absurd. I have heard its just the Sumter Sheriff's office, not Marion county. At Gator's the other night, the DJ (Patrick) was given a timeline of his deadlines of stopping the music and pulling drinks off the table for the rest of the evening. Are they nuts???

I've written this before and I'll continue to repeat myself.... we're here for retirement and we bought in TV for the activities and music and fun. We pay TAXES.... and this is how we are treated? I'm not a boomer, believe me I'm far from it, but look around, the boomer generation will not stand for this. Neither will all the tremendous talented entertainers that we attract here.

For those in the know (com'on you guys, like Skip, Fumar, l2ride, Steve from NY, etc.) how do we fight this. I have no intention of ending my nights at 8pm!!! Can we start a petition, call the sheriff's office, ALL go to the next Morse meeting to complain? I'm infuriated and I'd like to hear some of your suggestions. We need to reverse this stupid decision IMMEDIATELY.

WOW, you can tell I'm mad huh
Well written KathieI. I guess when the word gets out to potential buyers they may look elsewhere for a place to retire. Just wondering what those enjoying the low-cost visitor program feel about this situation. The Sales Office must be wondering the same thing.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
If music can be played at the Squares until 9pm I do not believe 10PM for the Country Clubs is unreasonable.
I see it the opposite. People live closer to the CCs without any acustic barriers than they do in the town squares. Also, people who live near the town square bought there knowing that there would be live outdoor music. I'm sure that most buying near a CC would not expect outdoor music. So, if the people here have been fine with the music stopping in the town squares at 9, they should also be considerate of those who live even closer to it and didn't expect when they bought their house. Why should they expect to put up with it later than what the town squares play?

And, what nobody has responded to yet: why can't the party go on inside? Is that too much to ask? Are we really that self-centered that we want to party the way we want - to hell with those who we may bother?

Last edited by NJblue; 11-16-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Gold member
Default And...

What about those damned trains. They blow their horns all night long. Now there is something to curfew.

Yoda
Old 11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Yes, move to a new town to have some good retirement fun, then out law all fun but the kind that you like. Did I get it right?
No, you certainly did not get it right. Why not be considerate and move indoors? I wonder how you would feel if a neighbor makes a lot of noise late at night on a regular basis and if you compain about if he were to say, "what are you doing, trying to stop me from having any fun other than what you want?" I certainly thought that people who moved to TV were more considerate than that. Thankfully at least my neighbors are.

Last edited by NJblue; 11-16-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Gold member

Quote:
What about those damned trains. They blow their horns all night long. Now there is something to curfew.
Actually that is less of a complaint - people who buy a house near train tracks should expect that noise. Just like people who buy near airports or even the town squares. Plus, there is no way to mitigate the sound of a train whistle (I guess you could not blow it so long), but there is a very easy way to mitigate the sound of a band at a CC - take it indoors.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle View Post
I do not consider 9pm LATE NIGHT. If music can be played at the Squares until 9pm I do not believe 10PM for the Country Clubs is unreasonable.
The site that DickY gave us to read, states,

(1) Radios, televisions, musical instruments and similar devices, and amplified human voice. Playing or permitting the playing of any radio, television, musical instrument or similar device, whether amplified or not amplified, or amplifying the human voice in such a manner or with such volume as to annoy or disturb the quiet, comfort and repose of a reasonable person in any type of residence or place of business; provided, however, this prohibition shall not apply to regularly scheduled outdoor entertainment activities in the downtown or urban areas within developments of regional impact, so long as such events terminate not later than 10:00 p.m.

Most nights at Havana do end at 9:30 or 10pm, therefore why do we have to go inside.?????

I don't want to purposely be inconsiderate, but there are always 2 sides to everything. Why should we, who do like to go out, need to be penalized for enjoying music and dancing.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Talk about patently ridiculous.
BTW -- None of the town squares (nor any portion or them) are in Marion County. Katie Belle's, etc. might be in Lake County, but I wouldn't swear to it one way or the other.
Oops, your right Red. I stand corrected. Just found the map and SS is in Sumter, not Marion. Thanks for the correction. I'll take my chocolate cake back now!!!! LOL.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
this prohibition shall not apply to regularly scheduled outdoor entertainment activities in the downtown or urban areas within developments of regional impact, so long as such events terminate not later than 10:00 p.m.
Clearly no one would claim that any of the CCs are in downtown or urban areas.

Also, note once again, no one is trying to curtail anyone's ability to enjoy music or dancing. To phrase it as such is highly disengenous. However, it appears that what you want to do is also dictate where you do that. If by doing so you cross the threshold of other people's enjoyment of their lives, then it certainly would seem reasonable and considerate to dance and listen to music indoors after a reasonable hour. The issue is what defines a reasonable hour. I said early on the 8 may be a bit early, but I think 9 may be a reasonable compromise. Note that based on the noise ordinace that you quoted above, the police seem to have the ability to completely restrict the outdoor music since the only allowance is for music played in downtown/urban settings. Also, based on this ordinance, this is not a Morse issue but a county issue.

Quote:
I don't want to purposely be inconsiderate, but there are always 2 sides to everything.
I agree completely and that is my point here. I have no dog in this hunt: I do not live within earshot of any CC nor do I know anyone who does. However, I can empathize with those who are and am trying to make those who want to party at night to be aware that these people also have a "side" in the issue. Heck, if no one is bothered by the music, I'd say party till you drop. Unfortunately, it seems that there is another side to the issue and these people are having the quality of their lives disrupted. Hence there is a very simple solution - bring the party indoors.

Last edited by NJblue; 11-16-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Maybe those who could be in defense of the few who

could be offended by evening music and festivities......keep two things in mind....those unhappy are in the minority.

As far as the sound and who it reaches or does not reach....how about the petition state as long as the noise is no louder than a train whistle/horn and no later at night than a train whistle/horn, then there is OBVIOUSLY no problem.

How many have called the sherrifs office?
How many have called TV admin offices to see who to address about the issue?

Patience is on their side. They know there will be some initial b-eye-itching and then it will go away.

Example: Remember once upon a time, not too long ago, TV used to keep the squares cranking until midnight to celebrate New Years. It was done for several years and then for reasons known only to the provacateurs....gone....close up now at 9 PM!!! Initial grumbling then the expected silence and sheep like compliance.

No struggle.....NO PROGRESS!!!!!!!!!

btk
Old 11-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Location: Utica, New York, Plantation, Florida, The Villages, Florida
Default County Ordinance

I pulled this from Municode.com. It contains all the ordinances for Sumter County. I copied only what I thought applied....you can go to municode.com and look in the library section if you want to read the whole ordinance.

Sec. 16-107. Specific prohibitions.
The following specified acts and circumstances are hereby declared to constitute prohibited noise disturbances in violation of this article; provided however, such enumeration is not and shall not be deemed to be exclusive; provided further that all other acts and circumstances meeting the definition of noise disturbance are likewise declared to be in violation of this article.
(1) Radios, televisions, musical instruments and similar devices, and amplified human voice. Playing or permitting the playing of any radio, television, musical instrument or similar device, whether amplified or not amplified, or amplifying the human voice in such a manner or with such volume as to annoy or disturb the quiet, comfort and repose of a reasonable person in any type of residence or place of business; provided, however, this prohibition shall not apply to regularly scheduled outdoor entertainment activities in the downtown or urban areas within developments of regional impact, so long as such events terminate not later than 10:00 p.m.
(2) Neighborhood parties and disturbances. Sounds originating from a residence or residential common area as a result of a party or other activities which may otherwise not be considered a noise disturbance under section 16-105 but arises to a noise disturbance due to the time of day or evening.
(3) Barking dogs. Allowing a dog to bark, howl, or whine continuously between the hours of 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. until such noise arises to the level of a noise disturbance under section 16-105. Any person or entity cited for a violation under this specific subsection shall not be subject to the penalties in this article. Instead, any person or entity cited for a violation under this specific subsection shall be subject to the penalties set forth in Chapter 4 of the Sumter County Code.
The sheriff's deputy may defer enforcement against the owner of the animal to animal control in accordance with Chapter 4 of the Sumter County Code if the deputy is unable to personally observe the barking, howling, or whining to determine whether such noise arises to the level of a noise disturbance as defined under section 16-105.
(Ord. No. 2001-6, § 7, 4-10-01; Ord. No. 2004-19, § 1, 7-15-04)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.