$85,000 Average Income - Are They Kidding?

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Gold member
Default Re: $85,000 Average Income - Are They Kidding?

Seems like this would make a great poll for Talk of The Villages. I don't know who sets those things up but I hope that they put one together. Perhaps also ask about a mortgage or not as well. Sure would be interesting.

Isn't it great how The Talk of The Villages builds from one thing to another.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Banned

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: ??? ??? ??? ??? ???well if it takes 85,000 to live in the villages i well not beable to line with rich people i hope all the people in the villagse make 85,000 in come
Old 10-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Veteran member

;DIt's called marketing to attract Companies. Not so long ago at a Crossman Pep Talk I think they quoted a figure of $73,000. which still seems a bit high. $85000 for the whole mix might work because they probably count people still working with perhaps two incomes. But, like a wise poster said, you can make numbers do whatever you want...just ask Enron.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 10-02-2007, 05:27 PM
Sage

Hmmmmmm, Kerry, your post seems vaguely familiar.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Veteran member

Kind of sounds like a curry, Heh?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Sage

Yep, that's what it sounds like.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:27 AM

I finally got to see the survey which indicated the average income of "home buyers" in TV. If I hadn't been following all of the posts on this subject, I would take it to mean all buyers not just permanent residents. I have several friends who own homes in TV but still work. Their average income is in the mid six figures. I'm sure that's what is skewing the number. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 10-03-2007, 09:51 AM

New golf course homes in TV cost between $450K and $600K and premium homes are greater than $600K. In order to afford these homes, a resident must have at least an $85K income. There are many, many homes in this price range.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Sage

Let's remember how the math can skew things:

7 households make 50K
2 make 60K
5 make 75K
2 make 400K (remember it is income from work, pensions, govt. and more importantly investments)

The average is 88K but the MEDIAN is 60K.

The median is looked at more by people making business decisions that determine what type of stores to open etc.

The high numbers of a few can really skew the average.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Veteran member

For the 50% who do not have mortgages (I think the figure is probably higher than 50%), they have no income data. So, that sounds like their 'survey' has a margin of error of at least +/- 50%. Who would put any stock in that?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:16 PM

Well I certainly don't fit in with the 85+ people. I'm a retired military and federal employee living on a VA disability pension, Civil Service pension and a VERY SMALL Social Security pension (due to an offset screw job). I scrimped and saved all my life and am lucky enough now to own (no mortgage) a designer home here in TV. Have not taken more than one cruise; can't afford to play the Championship Courses; try to avoid gatherings that want to collect money for kids, the poor, disabled, religions, etc, etc. I try to avoid them because I can only just get by myself and can't afford to give away money without having it affect my present standard of living. However, my wife and I do notice the affects of gasoline increases, house prices, property taxes, and the many ways in which TV has managed to increase the cost of living here. Prices also fluctuate with the arrival and departure of Snowbirds. I'm a fair golfer and still have to play the Executive Courses. I played the Priority system for the first year I was here (been here for 6+ years now) and had to drop it when I finally got wise and realized how I was being drawn into a bottomless pit for golf expenses. But, I meet with guys daily who are absolutely convinced that ANYONE should be able to afford a grand to get a VERY SMALL advantage over other people trying to get a tee time. So, there have to be a lot of very wealthy and very stupid people living in this affordable retirement community that, six years ago, was advertising that you could play championship golf here for an average of 1 dollar a hole. Things certainly have changed. I'm getting old enough now that I won't have to worry about golf prices increasing and not have to criticize the wealthy any longer for spoiling it for the rest of us on fixed incomes.
Mildenhall England
Gretna La
Greenville, RI
Jacksonville FL
TV
Old 10-03-2007, 05:44 PM

Cliff, first of all let me thank you for your service to our country. :#1:
Based on what I have read so far here on this board, and I am a new member, so bear with me please. If you had lived your life up until now as someone who worked within the capitalist system, were a business man, of whatever type, you would have had a better chance of being in the 85+ group. Military families "give their all" to make it possible for these other people to be able to live, or come here to live, as they have over the years . Military families do not become rich, by any stretch of the imagination. Yet, the people that the military serves do nothing but continue to tear this country down, in many ways. My 2cents, for what is is worth. And I wish you a golf course that is reputable but much cheaper to play on, lol!!
P.S. It was good to hear a genuine opinion pertaining to TV.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:09 PM

Sounds like alot of us will never fit into the $85k income..Correctly stated, this is an average and I think there alot of people like myself who bought for retirement, not retired yet and still working..So of course right now the income is high...Wont be so later on though...Will I fit it..dont care thats where I will be!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Sage

We own a house in TV and no-one has ever asked us how much money we make. How could they possibly have reliable information if they are only surveying the 50% who have mortgages? The $85,000 per annum figure is obviously corrupt. Perhaps the people in homes over $500,000 tend to have more mortgages and make more money.

Who cares how much money anyone makes; we all be Village people and we all be happy. :bigthumbsup:
Old 10-04-2007, 07:41 AM

You could check the census data if you can figure out what census tracks make up TV. Most data I find is for Lady Lake and the counties TV are in. I suspect they include a lot of non TV residents.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.