86 year old mother is visiting for for December - suggestions on things to do

Closed Thread
Old 11-26-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Boat ride on Dora Canal. DELIGHTFUL!!!
I second this. It is very relaxing and pretty.
Old 11-27-2023, 07:34 AM
Default Wine tasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownBee View Post
Hello,

My mom is going to visit for the month of December. What are some fun things that we can entertain her with? So far, we have the following planned:

1. Bok Gardens
2. Attend Christmas play at the new Villages High School
3. Eat at Cathy's in Wildwood
4. Eat at Bountiful Farms in Leesburg
5. Eat at Rose Plantation
6. Attend cooking class at Sawgrass

Thanks for your help!
If she drinks wine, perhaps a visit to Lakeridge Winery for a tour and tasting.

Might also try a Paint and Sip at the Nancy Lopez country club. They will give you non alcohol beverage if you prefer. It’s fun and easy and the appetizer plate they served when I went was delicious.

Enjoy your visit with her!
Old 11-27-2023, 08:47 AM
Default Things to do at Christmas time

Stetson Mansion in DeLand.
Built by the creator of the Stetson hat currently owned by two guys from Miami. Always decorated for the season.
Old 11-27-2023, 03:52 PM

My mother-in-law loved to go for a golf cart ride. Even if the golf cart only went to pick up the mail. She also enjoyed listening to the music at the square, talking to people she met there and eating out. She has passed away and I miss her.
Old 11-28-2023, 06:54 AM

I took both my parents, similar in age to your mom, on the Silver Springs glass bottom boat ride and they thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

I'm envious! Would love if my mom/.dad were still here! ❤️ Lots of good ideas on here. Also, if not already done I would record some conversations with her about her/your childhoods etc for family history, take lots of photos, and do some fun basics like cards puzzles checkers etc. - either at home or at the many wonderful Villages locations - like the outdoor porch overlooking the lake at Okahumpka Rec Center.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbogli View Post
We recently did the glass bottom boat tours in Silver Springs State park, we loved it. Over the weekend they offer a 90 min tour for $20 and also a 30 min tour all days for $12. It is a very calm ride with a large viewing window. We saw manatees, gators, turtles and lots of different birds. The captain of the boat was full of interesting info and we were surprised by how many movie had been filmed in the park.
We will be back for another sail another time with friends!

You can book ahead online through the park website.
I went last year in the winter and it was a cold, windy day so it was t very enjoyable. I’d take weather into account for any outdoor excursions with a woman of that age.
Old 11-28-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeda View Post
I'm envious! Would love if my mom/.dad were still here! ❤️ Lots of good ideas on here. Also, if not already done I would record some conversations with her about her/your childhoods etc for family history, take lots of photos, and do some fun basics like cards puzzles checkers etc. - either at home or at the many wonderful Villages locations - like the outdoor porch overlooking the lake at Okahumpka Rec Center.
I love this, what a good idea. I wish I would have done that with my dad. A friend of mine received a sweet gift. Someone copied and enlarged two of her mom's favorite family recipes that her mom had written down and put them in two pretty little frames. My friend kept them on a small table in the dining area. To me there is something special about looking at our loved ones handwriting. But I'm sentimental about this stuff.
Old 11-28-2023, 05:42 PM

Christmas lights at Mt.Dora. Dinner at Columbia restaurant. Order her a Mojito drink. Dress warmly….Take the “railroad” ride in open carriages to see the lights. Lots of historic things to do…The Flagler Museum is great (warm in there too!)
Closed Thread

Tags
eat, attend, december, things, school

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.