92 year old mother

Old 01-30-2024, 06:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Medicare is for health needs not maid services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Needlessly snarky and unhelpful reply imho.
Some times people just need some snarky talk to get the complete understanding
of what's going on.
Old 01-30-2024, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgInLakeDenham View Post
Possibly the said father-in-law was a service connected veteran and was able to get the home care services through the VA. Sounds like a program the VA has offered in the past.
Or if he was in Hospice Care then you would have those support services. If the lady in question is not deemed able to care for herself and unable to leave the house for medical appoints, she qualifies for nothing you're looking for....sorry

Why can't you care for her? Do you and your wife not have arms or hands to hold soap and wash cloth? Seriously? It's easy to care for others if you WANT TO. Most folks don't want to invest the time to care for our aging loved ones. Your options are do it yourself or spend her money on an Assisted Living Facility or a Nursing Home. $12 to $15k a month until their assets are gone, then they will qualify for state assistance...aka Medicaid to pay towards the Nursing Home. If you want to preserve the money you will provide the bathing and feeding. If you truly can't....then no inheritance. Sorry but that's the truth. I've lived it personally more than once and professionally for decades.

Maybe it's an issue of medical equipment such as a hospital bed, wheelchairs, shower chair, hover lift, etc. If so, and you want to keep her in your home, then talk to her doctors about orders for durable medical equipment that is covered by her insurance. Ask for home health orders to come assess your situation and get recommendations as to what her insurance will provide and training on how to use the medical equipment to make caring for her easier. Talk to her Doctors.
maybe it's an issue of not being able to care for her as opposed to not wanting to. lifting to a shower bench or into bed can get tough for us older folk to handle
Old 01-30-2024, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Some times people just need some snarky talk to get the complete understanding
of what's going on.
it always pays to have a sense of humor
Old 01-30-2024, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
maybe it's an issue of not being able to care for her as opposed to not wanting to. lifting to a shower bench or into bed can get tough for us older folk to handle
This is where the medical equipment comes into play and it's covered by Medicare. I've been lifting people around my whole life and yes, you need help to be safe. There are ways to care for others at home even though we are older ourselves
Old 01-30-2024, 09:01 PM

Call the local Counsel on Aging. They would know about all of the resources available and the costs involved.

I’m have not dealt with FL, but in OH I arranged for house cleaning, transportation, and meals on wheels through the counsel. Also, I don’t know how many resources would be available to you and your wife, but when dad was taking care of mom before she went to memory care and he needed help, he qualified for some services as the caretaker.
Old 01-31-2024, 04:59 AM

Try calling “ A Place for Mom”. Even though you don’t want to place her, they are a wonderful resource. Good luck and I’m sorry for the nasty comments.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipd411 View Post
I can not bathe my mother, I can not dress my mother. Not asking for maid service. asking if medicare help provide in home care help for those who can not longer provide themselves that type of care. Sorry I was not clear enough
In some states, this is provided. I have never met anyone in Florida who was able to obtain this service. Each of them had to pay out of pocket. It was explained to me that there are far too many elderly in Florida. The insurance companies would go broke. I have seen many neighbors leave Florida and return home because many states provide their elderly with better care. In Pennsylvania, my brother has three or four medical staff visiting him each day. He was supplied a van with a motorized lift. And, his wife gets paid $18 an hour because she is his caregiver. Plans like this exist but not in Florida. (to the best of my knowledge) Call Shine. They may be able to help you.

Last edited by Randall55; 01-31-2024 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:21 AM

Quote:
I can not bathe my mother, I can not dress my mother. Not asking for maid service. asking if medicare help provide in home care help for those who can not longer provide themselves that type of care. Sorry I was not clear enough
Try the county or state. Ask for programs they may have for seniors.
Old 01-31-2024, 05:37 AM

Medicaid, not medicare
Old 01-31-2024, 05:55 AM

The only experience I’ve had was with hospice. They supplied a home health aide that helped with bedside care, changing soiled sheets, meal preparation when needed but not general housekeeping. Good luck
Old 01-31-2024, 06:05 AM

Contact Elder Options. Thy can refer you to programs you may qualify for. Phone 800-262-2243.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:14 AM

I recently went through all this recently. Sorry but no, Medicare does not provide for those services. With a Dr.'s approval they provide a few hours each week of physical and occupational therapy, that's it. For the services you're looking for you will have to pay out of pocket and that is approx. 35.00/hr and there is a minimum of 4 hours each visit and 3 visits each week. Do the math and it's 420.00 per week. There are several service agencies like Visiting Angels that provide these types of services but I can't vouch for any of them. Another option is Hospice which is free but your MIL will need to have a specific diagnosis to meet criteria. Good luck to you, I know it's a very difficult road to be on.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:39 AM

We went through this with my mother and my in-laws. You are thinking of Medicaid BUT, and this is a big but, only after the patient's resources are expended. So, all of her money has to be paid out before government assistance will kick in. They will go back years (five years as I recall) to see if she sold or transferred her house and that money will have to be accounted for. Someone mentioned the VA. That program is called Aid And Attendance and will pay a caregiver to assist in everyday life such as bathing and dressing. My father-in-law got that since he was a Marine combat veteran. I have heard recently that spouses can also receive it. We got an elder-law attorney to help us with all the paperwork involved for all the programs. It's a lot.
Old 01-31-2024, 06:57 AM

Quote:
My mom just moved in with my wife and I. I was told by my sister that medicare will proved in home care including help with cleaning her room, washing her cloths, helping her wash and other things she is having trouble doing.

My sister said medicare did this for her father in law when he moved into her house.

I called her medicare and they said no. But they do provide up to 32 hours a week for medical care.

I know we can hire someone to provide these services but it comes out of her savings or we kids pay.

Does anyone know if such a program is real?

So far every home health care company I called said there is no such thing.
Ask Medicare about Adult Family Care - It is a program that helps keep elderly or disable persons in their home but it is dependent on their personal finances and assets.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmaclellan View Post
Ask Medicare about Adult Family Care - It is a program that helps keep elderly or disable persons in their home but it is dependent on their personal finances and assets.
That is a Medicaid program, not Medicare.

Tags
care, medicare, provide, home, sister

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.