92 year old mother

Old 01-31-2024, 07:06 AM
Location: Chicago area but spend a month every year in The Villages
Default Help with mother

If she has long-term care insurance, that would pay for some of that. Otherwise, check medicaid or the link that The Village Tinker provided. As others have said, medicare does not cover those services. That is the difference between medicare and medicaid.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipd411 View Post
My mom just moved in with my wife and I. I was told by my sister that medicare will proved in home care including help with cleaning her room, washing her cloths, helping her wash and other things she is having trouble doing.

My sister said medicare did this for her father in law when he moved into her house.

I called her medicare and they said no. But they do provide up to 32 hours a week for medical care.

I know we can hire someone to provide these services but it comes out of her savings or we kids pay.

Does anyone know if such a program is real?

So far every home health care company I called said there is no such thing.
If she has “savings” then why would you want us taxpayers to pay for her care?
Old 01-31-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
My mom just moved in with my wife and I. I was told by my sister that medicare will proved in home care including help with cleaning her room, washing her cloths, helping her wash and other things she is having trouble doing.

My sister said medicare did this for her father in law when he moved into her house.

I called her medicare and they said no. But they do provide up to 32 hours a week for medical care.

I know we can hire someone to provide these services but it comes out of her savings or we kids pay.

The is a Supplemental Medicare for Chronically Ill Benefit through Florida Blue Medicare that has added benefits like care; heart, mental inllness, diabetes are all qualifiers. Call a Villages Insurance person and talk to them. There are a few health insurance agent offices in The Villages. One is at the Colony Medical Clinic.

She may be better off switching from plain Medicare to a Medicare plan after you research it. Her 2024 Medicare Plan Book has all the plans listed in the back of the book with different benefits in it.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgInLakeDenham View Post
Possibly the said father-in-law was a service connected veteran and was able to get the home care services through the VA. Sounds like a program the VA has offered in the past.
Or if he was in Hospice Care then you would have those support services. If the lady in question is not deemed able to care for herself and unable to leave the house for medical appoints, she qualifies for nothing you're looking for....sorry

Why can't you care for her? Do you and your wife not have arms or hands to hold soap and wash cloth? Seriously? It's easy to care for others if you WANT TO. Most folks don't want to invest the time to care for our aging loved ones. Your options are do it yourself or spend her money on an Assisted Living Facility or a Nursing Home. $12 to $15k a month until their assets are gone, then they will qualify for state assistance...aka Medicaid to pay towards the Nursing Home. If you want to preserve the money you will provide the bathing and feeding. If you truly can't....then no inheritance. Sorry but that's the truth. I've lived it personally more than once and professionally for decades.

Maybe it's an issue of medical equipment such as a hospital bed, wheelchairs, shower chair, hover lift, etc. If so, and you want to keep her in your home, then talk to her doctors about orders for durable medical equipment that is covered by her insurance. Ask for home health orders to come assess your situation and get recommendations as to what her insurance will provide and training on how to use the medical equipment to make caring for her easier. Talk to her Doctors.
I agree with the absolute harsh reality of everything you posted.

Many of us have lived it and researched every single program, agency and available free stuff.
There is barely a bus pass given.

Many, many of us have spent a lifetime in fields like social services, social work, geriatrics, gerontology, and nursing home administration. Geriatrics, for me.

There is no easy fix in America for caregiving of our elderly. It's either us or professional paid services such as skilled nursing which will absolutely break the bank of most families. Shared family assets is still a huge hardship on families everyday. If it's just you, and no siblings, you must accept your fate and remember how much your mother cared for you. It's what will get you through. No easy fixes, no free rides, no free caregiver programs, trust us!

However, there are trillions of dollars spent on illigal immigrants health care, education, cellphones, housing, which is breaking the bank of the USA.

But, a question that I would pose to the OP is:
Why haven't you enlisted your sisters skill-set if she has attained these magnificent services she spoke of, she should be able to duplicate them with a phone call, no matter what, to help you out.

However, there are no free services that come close to providing familial caregiving.

Perhaps he was a Veteran w/70-100% disability, or on Medicaid (State Aid for indigent or 20K < and/or 100% disabled, or maybe he had paid 2 years in a nursing home, and then went to live with your sister).

Just realize that no one can be as compassionate as a loving son and daughter-in- law.

This is your time to raise the bar and shine! You can do it! We all have done it in our young 60's.... (which is where I'm at!).
My mom first, then my Dad, who just died at 97.

My cousins 4 girls and 2 boys are currently taking turns as caregivers to their 90 y/o mom, as they used her assets years ago, thinking she'd be deemed indigent by Medicare. Nope.

Good Luck to you.

You and your wife can wash her clothes and clean her room, or hire a houekeeper with the funds your 90 year old mother-in-law is receiving from Social Security.
Default I think you need Medicaid

Quote:
I can not bathe my mother, I can not dress my mother. Not asking for maid service. asking if medicare help provide in home care help for those who can not longer provide themselves that type of care. Sorry I was not clear enough
When I lived in NYC, I had friends who got that type of support thru Medicaid. A very long drawn out process to obtain and it's different in every state. Good luck
Old 01-31-2024, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I can not bathe my mother, I can not dress my mother. Not asking for maid service. asking if medicare help provide in home care help for those who can not longer provide themselves that type of care. Sorry I was not clear enough
If your mother cannot provide that care for herself, and is on a decline, she may be eligible for hospice care. They provide bathing, once or twice a week, and a nurse comes in at least once a week to make sure your mother doesn’t need anything. They don’t come every day, however. They charge Medicare for their services.

They also provide lots of the equipment that your mother may need. I hadn’t realized that and had purchased a lot of the things for my mother before I found out that hospice can take care of that, too.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:40 AM
Default Your Key to Senior Living Options

Quote:

I highly recommend consulting with Your Key to Senior Living Options. Lisa Honka and team provide a free service helping you navigate care for your mom. They can help you assess the resources needed and providers - in home care as well as assisted living - but only what you want - no pressure and free. Website: Yourkeytoseniorlivingoptions.com.

They offer seminars blog posts, newsletters , etc on helpful topics. Very dedicated folks. They helped one friend get a persistent Medicare issue resolved quickly after months of trying herself, just as one example.

Wish you the best in finding what you need!!
Old 01-31-2024, 07:44 AM

Quote:
We are in a similar situation with both of my inlaws, they moved into our house 19 months ago. As far as we could find, it's $35/hr, minimum 4 hours, and you can have as many or as few hours as you want. The workers help....but it's still a lot of hard core nursing work for my wife (and a little for me too). They don't "do everything"....some days it doesn't seem like they "do anything". It's tough.

Joe
Old 01-31-2024, 07:51 AM

The services you are looking for are provided through Medicaid. Each state’s program is different. I would begin by contacting the State Department of Health.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageuser View Post
If your mother cannot provide that care for herself, and is on a decline, she may be eligible for hospice care. They provide bathing, once or twice a week, and a nurse comes in at least once a week to make sure your mother doesn’t need anything. They don’t come every day, however. They charge Medicare for their services.

They also provide lots of the equipment that your mother may need. I hadn’t realized that and had purchased a lot of the things for my mother before I found out that hospice can take care of that, too.
To be eligible for hospice, a doctor needs to certify that your have less than 6 months to live. It is paid for as a Medicare Part A benefit, and you would receive very limited life-saving medical care. Not a good option for someone who just needs help with things like bathing and dressing.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:59 AM
Default Care

Yes, I too just went through the experience of taking care of my mom. Personal care was paid out of pocket with her social security income and my funds.

When a doctor recommended hospice care, Medicare covered costs for personal and pastoral care and medical equipment. Hospice staff were wonderful and very caring
Old 01-31-2024, 08:03 AM

I have experienced the same here in Florida. Getting help with a parent that can no longer do for themselves thru Medicare or Medicaid is close to NOTHING as you can get. It is so bad I had to move my mom back to Virginia where I could get help in her home I am very lucky we didn't sell her house up there. Provided there thru Medicaid 2 sitters up to 16 hours a day, doctor's for house call, transportation if needed, someone to give her bathes, etc... Florida has NONE of this for the elderly. Good Luck!
Old 01-31-2024, 08:37 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Needlessly snarky and unhelpful reply imho.
You ain't seen nothin' yet.
Old 01-31-2024, 08:42 AM
Default Home health care

As posted elsewhere, talk to SHINE. If you want your mom to stay at home and not an expensive nursing home, your option is to hire a service that can bathe and dress her.

Tags
care, medicare, provide, home, sister

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.