Aarp

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2012, 12:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation Aarp

Has anyone else noticed that AARP actually bills about 5-6 months before
your membership runs out? That is a lot of $$$$ for them to receive early and
gain the interest on before it is even due!! Called them to understand the billing and they actually told me they bill about 6 months in advance. Now I call that pretty slick!!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Not so unusual, I get requests to renew magazines sometime 12-18 months before expiration. Most times it says it is for a drastically reduced rate.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Yeah, I get lots of renewal notices from them. I just ignore them until it's time to renew.

On the plus side, I save hundreds of dollars using the card for travel discounts.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:27 PM

Just another insurance company.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:01 AM
TOTV Moderator

Reminder... The topic is AARP's membership renewal process. If you wish to discuss their political status, please start your own thread in the political forum.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Thumbs up Aarp

I renew 3 years at a time plus send donation 2-3 a year. Inexpensive cost for the work they do for seniors.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Gold member

Our renewal notices come early too. The same with the other magazines we subscribe to. Magazines have to keep their circulation base high to appeal to their advertisers, and want to get renewals in the bank so to speak.

I've read a couple of articles saying a lot of magazines will offer nearly free, or really low subscription rates to keep the ciruculation numbers higher. They make more money from advertising than from subscriptions.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat1 View Post
Our renewal notices come early too. The same with the other magazines we subscribe to. Magazines have to keep their circulation base high to appeal to their advertisers, and want to get renewals in the bank so to speak.

I've read a couple of articles saying a lot of magazines will offer nearly free, or really low subscription rates to keep the ciruculation numbers higher. They make more money from advertising than from subscriptions.
I think you are right on. We let subscriptions slide and not reup and still get the magazines. And in some cases haven't signed up and they stop coming and then they start coming again.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think you are right on. We let subscriptions slide and not reup and still get the magazines. And in some cases haven't signed up and they stop coming and then they start coming again.
Funny you should mention this. Our son has been receiving two different car magazines free for e last two years after not reupping after his initial complimentary subscriptions expired..

They're not membership based like AARP but does say something about the topic of renewals.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.