AC duct odor

Old 04-20-2024, 03:08 PM
Default AC duct odor

We have a musty, dank, heavy odor coming from all AC vents. The patio villa is less than 4 years old and is kept immaculate. We have UV lights above and below the air handler and an electrostatic permanent filter that is cleaned monthly. The AC works perfectly and everything visible is clean, but the odor is bad and actually burns the throat and eyes. Who do you recommend for checking the ductwork? We need a pro , not some rookie kid to diagnose the problem. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,978 Times in 757 Posts

“ For lamps that are solely used to keep bacterial and mold growth from HVAC coils and blowers, you can use these lamps for up to 18,000 hours or two years.”
Old 04-20-2024, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,109 Times in 2,761 Posts

Try taking out your filter, cranking up the A/C, and spraying a can of Lysol into the filter intake. When done, put in a new filter.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,258 Posts

Moisture is standing somewhere.

It's the HVAC near the laundry?

If so I'd have someone open up the drywall and look for a hairline crack in a waterline.
Old 04-20-2024, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,265 Posts

Do you use the dehumidify setting on your thermostat? I would check the humidity level in your house. Also, the HVAC unit in the garage should have a flow switch that monitors water accumulation in the HVAC air handler, if this gets high, it shuts off the AC, if it is working correctly.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2A supporter View Post
We have a musty, dank, heavy odor coming from all AC vents. The patio villa is less than 4 years old and is kept immaculate. We have UV lights above and below the air handler and an electrostatic permanent filter that is cleaned monthly. The AC works perfectly and everything visible is clean, but the odor is bad and actually burns the throat and eyes. Who do you recommend for checking the ductwork? We need a pro , not some rookie kid to diagnose the problem. Thanks in advance.

I would look in bottom of A coil see if more than usual standing water. Water has to drain out of A-coil down and outside by the outside unit. Do you see water dripping out the drain pipe by outside unit? Maybe the drain path plugged/blocked?

Should be tag saying who installed it? I would probably call Mums few A/C companies I trust around here. MUMs has always been straight with me.

IMO unless you have humidifier in duct works I doubt it ducts but inside the air handler unit some where which IMO points to A coil which has to drain condensation outside through drain pipes?
Old 04-20-2024, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,961 Times in 2,469 Posts

/////

Last edited by Topspinmo; 04-20-2024 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 04-21-2024, 11:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You might have a dead animal in the duck works. Someone should look at the ducks in the attic to see if their is any damage. A company that can inspect all the ducks with a video camera might be needed.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:17 PM
Default Thanks for the replies

Tried today: Removed cover plate for air handler, sprayed coils( Looked clean to start with) Collection tray was clean, Poured some water in the collection tray and it ran free and clear to outside drain, also poured a few quarts of hot water and vinegar down the drain tee and it ran strongly to the outside. Removed permanent electrostatic air filter which was clean. Felt down inside the air return box, it was dry, no leaks. Both UV lights working. Sprayed the air filter and return air box and all reachable surfaces with some odor killer suggested by Lowes plumbing associate. I climbed up a step ladder and peered back through the attic (80 year old man here) Ductwork looked ok but can't get up to see the back of the house. I guess the suggestion of a visual duct inspection is necessary. Any suggestions on a company to use?
Old 04-21-2024, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,761 Times in 5,264 Posts

Quote:
Tried today: Removed cover plate for air handler, sprayed coils( Looked clean to start with) Collection tray was clean, Poured some water in the collection tray and it ran free and clear to outside drain, also poured a few quarts of hot water and vinegar down the drain tee and it ran strongly to the outside. Removed permanent electrostatic air filter which was clean. Felt down inside the air return box, it was dry, no leaks. Both UV lights working. Sprayed the air filter and return air box and all reachable surfaces with some odor killer suggested by Lowes plumbing associate. I climbed up a step ladder and peered back through the attic (80 year old man here) Ductwork looked ok but can't get up to see the back of the house. I guess the suggestion of a visual duct inspection is necessary. Any suggestions on a company to use?
You buy your own camera for less than $30 on Amazon.

Amazon.com
Old 04-21-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I would say you have done what you can to save money by checking the obvious so I would now call an HVAC person and ask their opinion. If you just do duct cleaning and that is not it then you just threw your money away. A reputable HVAC company should be able to diagnose it.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,761 Times in 5,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
I would say you have done what you can to save money by checking the obvious so I would now call an HVAC person and ask their opinion. If you just do duct cleaning and that is not it then you just threw your money away. A reputable HVAC company should be able to diagnose it.
If you have flexible ducts, I would not do duct cleaning. It can puncture the ducts, and it probably won't solve an odor problem.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,287 Times in 4,302 Posts

Quote:
ServePro...

The previous owners of our house had two large dogs, which unfortunately, I have allergies to. We had them come to our home and do a deep clean of the house (even the refrigerator vent was covered with dog hair). They also cleaned the ductwork. No punctures, and they sprayed the vents with the best smelling disinfectant I ever smelled! Zero allergy problems afterwards and I couldn't be happier with their work.

-Tom Petty
Old 04-22-2024, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

I agree with an earlier post...it’s possible you have a carcass decomposing in the ducts. Musty is more typical of what’s been stated already but the ‘burning of throat and eyes’ sounds more that than anything mechanical. Maybe you can post a follow up. Good luck
Old 04-23-2024, 04:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,305 Times in 563 Posts

YOU HAVE MOLD IN YOUR AIR HANDLER . The Evaporator and Tray is the breeding area.... Call a Reputable AC outfit to Clean it for you! They see it all the time in FLA. (Vacant sitting houses) former HVAC Tech

Tags
odor, eyes, throat, bad, burns

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.