Adding a closet to 3rd bedroom in Gardenia model

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2021, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Could well be but when we purchased our Begonia beginning of 2020 all of the literature called it a 3 bedroom.

Besides look at what the Villages sales dept is selling and calling it a 3 bedroom.
If you look at the Begonia FP specifies 2 br and a den. My Gardenia was advertised as a 3 br but front br has a large closet across the wall opposite the window.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

There were several versions for the Gardenia, we have one and we built. We wanted 3 bedroom, but the was not room for the additional 3rd bedroom, so we have a DEN, no closet, and it was described as 2 bedroom and den.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:27 PM
Sage

Even a den needs a closet. So they should stop being so chintzy and just put a closet in that front room, period.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

When we were looking all these type homes were listed as 2 bedrooms and a den. Every 3 bedroom had 3 closets. Very straight forward.

If the ceiling is normal height is should be an easy job.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:47 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Back in the day. . .

Quote:
Call it as you wish but TV calls the closetless bedroom a bedroom.

Sitting in it now as I took it for my office but when the world returns to normal we will also use it as a bedroom. If we had regular guests would add a closet of some sort but it can be used as a bedroom if one wishes.
I guess TV marketing has changed. We bought our Gardenia in 2013. It was built in 2007. It was called a 2 bedroom + den.

Of course, you can use it for a bedroom. You can use it for anything you want. But to be an official bedroom — in most places — it needs to have a closet.

And, now, I must digress. It is my curse to do so. . .

Up north where there are basements, people sometimes put what they call bedrooms there. . .

But where I come from, code requires a bedroom to have a window — and for a basement bedroom, not just any window — has to be a window big enough for a fully-equipped firefighter to get through. . .

A single (divorced) friend of mine, who has a whole big house to herself, had such a window put into her basement for a bedroom she did not need. . .

I suspect she is waiting for that fully-equipped firefighter (like the ones on calendars) to come through.

Boomer
Old 05-06-2021, 03:04 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

ToTV thread.................way off topic.
OP, we all know what you mean by 3BRM and adding a closet.
Hope you can find an answer within.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,048 Times in 5,337 Posts

Decided to pull out the info that came with the house and see what we actually purchased.

The literature that was put out by a properties of the Villages sales rep says the house is 3 bedroom and 2 bath. The reps picture is even on the literature.

The Begonia floor plan does say what we thought was the third bedroom is actually a den. Strangely enough the third bedroom (as we will continue to call it) is actually a drop bigger than the second bedroom (which does come with a closet).

Not going to do anything about it but wow were we misled.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Yes, it is a requirement legally, to have a closet for each bedroom. So no, she didn't buy a three bedroom if the third room with a bed doesn't have a closet. .

That's the difference between lay talk and legal talk. . .

lawyer guy
What law are you referring to?

Florida has adopted the International Residential Code, which is part of the Florida Building Code. The International Residential Code does not require a bedroom to have a closet.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:32 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Decided to pull out the info that came with the house and see what we actually purchased.

The literature that was put out by a properties of the Villages sales rep says the house is 3 bedroom and 2 bath. The reps picture is even on the literature.

The Begonia floor plan does say what we thought was the third bedroom is actually a den. Strangely enough the third bedroom (as we will continue to call it) is actually a drop bigger than the second bedroom (which does come with a closet).

Oh well. Just keep enjoying your room and don’t give its name another thought.

In one of the houses we have had up north, the office/den/no-closet room was called a bedroom by not only the real estate agent, but also by the property tax site. I knew it was not a bedroom, but we liked the house and it had enough bedrooms — and the last thing I wanted to do was rattle the tax guy’s cage to try to get the assessment to list fewer bedrooms. The room became my office and was used by me to type many a TOTV post.

(Btw, yes, like somebody here said, this thread might be slightly off track — but that’s OK. My people call this kind of thing a nice conversation. And nobody is mad at anybody over closet/no closet — although, the evening is yet young. )

And, now, for a segue into TOTV history — about threads jumping the track:

Many years ago when the room here was small because the site had just started, threads would get a little sideways into conversations.

There were those who would holler, “Hijack!” It was hollered in good fun — well. . .usually in good fun.

Anyway, that was when the long-running “Girl Talk” thread was started by Barefoot. “No Boys Allowed” — because everybody knows that women can follow at least 3 — maybe more — conversations at one time — and participate in all of them — and there will be no complaints about staying on topic.

Haven’t any of you guys ever noticed that when you are out to dinner with a woman, she can talk with you while filtering conversations from another table and/or the booth behind you — and fill you in. We can’t help it.

The “Girl Talk” thread is in the Feminine Forum. There you can see the archives of TOTV. It goes way back, jumps from topic to topic, and everybody involved does just fine. (I have not looked at the thread lately. I hope it is still up and running. Maybe I will go check.)

Anyway, thanks for the conversation, and for the OP, I wish all the best with the closet project.

Boomer
Old 05-06-2021, 05:36 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
You can call it what you want...............In-law Suite.

It's a perfect Guest Suite...........no closet space so they can't stay toooooo long.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmith View Post
ESP installation (Jordan)386-344-2447
5 years ago the price was $1000.00
Did a great job.
Wow! That was a real bargain. I would estimate that the materials alone would be close to $1,000.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 917 Posts
Default Per realtor license school - Section 200 of the Florida building code

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
What law are you referring to?

Florida has adopted the International Residential Code, which is part of the Florida Building Code. The International Residential Code does not require a bedroom to have a closet.
Realtor license school references Section 200 of the Florida Building code.

What is a Bedroom as Defined by Florida Building Code?

but then again, if the TV marketing reps aren't licenses realtors, then they can call it whatever they want, as they have no code of ethics. . .

legal guy who stayed at a Holiday Inn last night
Old 05-06-2021, 06:59 PM
Default Closest

A dozen 2by 4s, 48 inch bifold door, 2 sheets of sheetrock and 1/2 gal of paint.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Oh well. Just keep enjoying your room and don’t give its name another thought.

In one of the houses we have had up north, the office/den/no-closet room was called a bedroom by not only the real estate agent, but also by the property tax site. I knew it was not a bedroom, but we liked the house and it had enough bedrooms — and the last thing I wanted to do was rattle the tax guy’s cage to try to get the assessment to list fewer bedrooms. The room became my office and was used by me to type many a TOTV post.
(Btw, yes, like somebody here said, this thread might be slightly off track — but that’s OK. My people call this kind of thing a nice conversation. And nobody is mad at anybody over closet/no closet — although, the evening is yet young. )

And, now, for a segue into TOTV history — about threads jumping the track:

Many years ago when the room here was small because the site had just started, threads would get a little sideways into conversations.

There were those who would holler, “Hijack!” It was hollered in good fun — well. . .usually in good fun.

Anyway, that was when the long-running “Girl Talk” thread was started by Barefoot. “No Boys Allowed” — because everybody knows that women can follow at least 3 — maybe more — conversations at one time — and participate in all of them — and there will be no complaints about staying on topic.

Haven’t any of you guys ever noticed that when you are out to dinner with a woman, she can talk with you while filtering conversations from another table and/or the booth behind you — and fill you in. We can’t help it.

The “Girl Talk” thread is in the Feminine Forum. There you can see the archives of TOTV. It goes way back, jumps from topic to topic, and everybody involved does just fine. (I have not looked at the thread lately. I hope it is still up and running. Maybe I will go check.)

Anyway, thanks for the conversation, and for the OP, I wish all the best with the closet project.

Boomer
"Haven’t any of you guys ever noticed that when you are out to dinner with a woman, she can talk with you while filtering conversations from another table and/or the booth behind you — and fill you in. We can’t help it"

My husband can do this. That's why I married him!
Old 05-07-2021, 05:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:

First thing you learn as a real estate agent is how to lie
Closed Thread

Tags
model, closet, 3rd, bedroom, contractor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.