Additional Expenses of a New TV Home

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2018, 11:41 AM

I'm just so happy to finally be here enjoying all that The Villages has to offer. For me, home improvements can wait. Taking it slowly, one thing at a time.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:50 PM

My reason for posting was we will have a home start up budget. After that we will be on a fixed income that may not support any upgrades. So if we don't budget for upgrades now, probably won't be able to do them later.

Thanks for the comments.

Thanks for the
Old 03-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sjc View Post
My reason for posting was we will have a home start up budget. After that we will be on a fixed income that may not support any upgrades. So if we don't budget for upgrades now, probably won't be able to do them later.

Thanks for the comments.
If that's the case I would broaden the horizon to include improvements that save money and pay back in savings. It probably is best to start another thread if that interests you.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Platinum member

Other then window treatments you don’t need to do anything immediately.

It took us over a year to sell our Tampa house.
Put in window treatments, bought a washer & dryer,
and put in a Nova water filter.

Then over the year we added attic atairs, attic fan & insulation
And pullouts for kitchen & bath cabinets.

The one big thing we did before we moved in was doing a custom build in our master closet.

I am a carpet fan so still have the carpet and the appliances.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Smart man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually a smart man, or woman, would buy a resale with tens of thousands in upgrades already done with bond paid instead of a bare bones new home with $30k unpaid bond.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilorilori View Post
I pulled out the carpet and tiled the house immediately since the matching tile was still around.
Took down all the blinds and installed shutters. Will sell the new / old blinds $10 each.
Removed the kitchen chandelier and installed a matching eyeball light. Chandelier $20
Enclosed the lanai, added a seperate A/C unit
Added a hot tub
Added lots of cabinets / built in wall units to the master bedroom, laundry room, kitchen.
Adding a pergola.

Spending the family inheritance on ME ! for my last home to be a great home for ME.
Way to go......spend it all.....after all, you earned it all.....the kids can sell your house after your gone and that will be there inheritance......enjoy yourself....
Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstew43 View Post
Way to go......spend it all.....after all, you earned it all.....the kids can sell your house after your gone and that will be there inheritance......enjoy yourself....

If any [emoji383]left over, treat oneself to a nice sports car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 06:15 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Actually a smart man, or woman, would buy a resale with tens of thousands in upgrades already done with bond paid instead of a bare bones new home with $30k unpaid bond.
I agree. When you consider all costs, bond, required upgrades like blinds, attic stairs, washer and dryer, and you will eliminate that pine straw and landscape. Resale homes become a bargain.

I have done the analysis many times. I take the things I like and value them at about 50%, the things I have to change because I don't like them and what that will cost me, and the required items at about 75%, and adjust for the bond difference, resales are almost always a better deal. And you can make an offer below the listed price on a resale, on new the price is the price.

Everyone I talk to who has bought new ignores the fact that an offer can be made on a resale. They just compare listed price while they ignore the bond delta. Makes no sense to me. The only rational reason for buying new is if you just have to have a new home. Financially it makes no sense.

Tags
expenses, house, home, fenney, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.