Address numbers on house

Old 05-04-2024, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,051 Times in 1,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It's very complicated, but The Villages has nothing to do with assigning the house numbers. It is done by the local Government and in accordance with the USPS standards.
I can’t imagine what standard that might be when some of the houses are built so close together you couldn’t put up a tent in between them, but their numbers are not only not consecutive but sometimes far apart. The US post seems to have missed the boat here:

“Regardless of method, the key to any housing number system is simplicity and uniformity. That way, visitors and new citizens can easily grasp the city's layout. Additionally, services like mail delivery or food delivery become vastly more efficient when they can plan out their routes.”
Old 05-04-2024, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
It is that way because of Public Safety. The reflective numbers on the front window are there to save your life... VPSD and local LEO use these to find you in the dark..
Thanks--28 years as a first responder and it is so frustrating to search for unit numbers of properties when they are not uniformly located. Is it on the mailbox, the curb, over the garage, to the left of the front door, etc. Maybe not so much of an issue with our homes being so close together but the numbers are not for the Village mail carriers--they are for the first responders (and maybe guests)...

(In some condos up north they also put unit numbers on the back of the homes over the slider in case emergency entry needs to be made or for LEO response for a break-in to set up a perimeter on target home.)

I like having them uniform...change it up and get creative with the (secondary) lamppost sign...

JMO...

Tags
address, measure, cost-saving, reason, i’m

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.