Adult Children living in The Villages. Why?

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2018, 03:21 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,791 Times in 3,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Too bad you feel that way. Not everybody does.

And of course it’s the developer’s wallet that is ruining everything!!
Negative people on the site are sad, no they're funny, no sad, no funny.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:28 PM

Wow!!! What part of The Villages do you live?
Old 09-24-2018, 03:33 PM

...but why would an adult child want to live with their parents in the Villages?

It's not for the activities. No way you can convince me some 30 year old want to hang with old folks all the time.

As to the healthcare: cut me a break, it isn't good.

Jobs, really? Look how many people Just outside the villages live in broken down trailers (okay, there are trailer retirement communities and I am not talking about those). There are some parts just yards from outside the villages that I wouldn't want my family to go to. Someone coming from Boston would think they are in a gang war.

So back to the original question. Reread all 17 pages of posts and see how many people don't understand what is in the thread so they just post something based on the title (I am pointing at all you people looking to boost your post count, you know who you are).

I live in The Villages and I am proud to live here. I also am proud enough to stand up and point things out. I want a better villages. Yes, there are many people who own home here and are under 55. THEY ARE NOT LIVING WITH THEIR PARENTS.

I wrote something I stopped myself on. But to anyone who reads minds, please reply to it.

It is healthy to discuss this in open forum. It shows how many people care (either way). I would prefer to have responsible people living here. I think all the women who live here would feel safer. Am I wrong?

Old 09-24-2018, 03:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi33 View Post
...but why would an adult child want to live with their parents in the Villages?

It's not for the activities. No way you can convince me some 30 year old want to hang with old folks all the time.

As to the healthcare: cut me a break, it isn't good.

Jobs, really? Look how many people Just outside the villages live in broken down trailers (okay, there are trailer retirement communities and I am not talking about those). There are some parts just yards from outside the villages that I wouldn't want my family to go to. Someone coming from Boston would think they are in a gang war.

So back to the original question. Reread all 17 pages of posts and see how many people don't understand what is in the thread so they just post something based on the title (I am pointing at all you people looking to boost your post count, you know who you are).

I live in The Villages and I am proud to live here. I also am proud enough to stand up and point things out. I want a better villages. Yes, there are many people who own home here and are under 55. THEY ARE NOT LIVING WITH THEIR PARENTS.

I wrote something I stopped myself on. But to anyone who reads minds, please reply to it.

It is healthy to discuss this in open forum. It shows how many people care (either way). I would prefer to have responsible people living here. I think all the women who live here would feel safer. Am I wrong?

I think so. How about some statistics as to how many young people here are causing problems? You made a lot of generalizations about why young people should not be here in your OP. They were off-the-cuff, in my opinion, not backed up by any kind of statistics, yet were purported as truths in your opinion. I just don't get where you're coming from, or why.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 PM

Quote:
You missed this CF.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
You missed this CF.
That was an aside. The main part of your post was the conclusion:

So, to conclude.
No jobs.
Bad healthcare.
Crime goes up.
Mostly other people are over 60 years old.

No good can come from an adult child living in The Villages.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:32 PM

I agree with you.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
let me bring this thread BACK. You all are sidetracking.

I know the rule is 19 and over. But going over 35 MPH is a rule on Morse Avenue but how many of you follow that.

And I don't mind if a 19 year old buys here as long as his children aren't here.

My problem is I don't WANT to deal with other people's problems or situations.

Plus, my question is WHY, not that its okay to do.

Okay, go back to talking about something else.
First off, it's none of your damn business.

Secondly, my son lives with us because he's on the autism spectrum. He has a college degree and is employed. It's just living on his own would be to over whelming to him.

Third, again it's none of your damn business. I so glad you have led a charmed and perfect life.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

IMHO this thread has run its course. All the factions have been heard from and there is nothing more to add. The sweeping generalizations and broad brush condemnations have been made ad nauseum and we get where you stand. Thankfully, many have a more compassionate view.

Here is the fact - there is no rule, law, or covenant that prevents an adult child from living with their parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, enemies, benefactors, etc. If you want to legislate against that reality, good luck. Otherwise, just accept that this is reality or figure out a way to find a place that is totally free from such flaws and move there. Had Hitler prevailed in the 40s you might have found Deutchland to be perfect.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemg View Post
TV is NOT what it is purported to be, home town/safe feeling has been gone a LONG time now; theft (in stores, golf carts, clubs) bad residents (domestic abuse), WAY too much drinking, in and outside crime, uncurteous and downright dangerous driving) ALOT of amenities gone: Church on Square, Katie Bells. (Watch out Polo Field). The Old Man Swartz is turning over. He went around asking residents what they wanted. Now its all about the developers wallet. Must weigh the amenities of the great lifestyle VS negative conditions. Still no place like it in the world.
Where you see negative conditions, many of us see positives. Unlike you, I feel very safe in our village.
The crime rate is low for a community of our size.
The Villages has been created with vision and creativity.
Because the Developers want to make a profit, you say "it's all about the developers wallet"?
Old 09-24-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
This is something that I have an opinion about and I don't know what others think.

This forum is very caring, loving, and sometimes don't see the problem with common sense things. Don't attack me as it is true. Been seeing some crime lately that points to adult children living in The Villages.

So...

Why are there adult children living with retired people in The Villages?

Now my thoughts and I am sure people will see both sides.

First, if the adult child is mentally ill to the point they cannot live on there own. Not all mentally ill people have to live at home. And, and, and, WHY would you MOVE to The Villages, the adult Disneyland, if you have to be a caretaker for the child? Not like there is good medical care in the area.

Second, the adult child who is going through some bad luck. Still, no. Get them motivated. There are no jobs here and they will keep living off your generosity and care for them. However, if you care for them, get them an apartment in Gainesville where there are more jobs so they can get back to the norm. They will only milk you for all your money and guilt you if you resist.

Third, the adult child who is the caretaker for an old villager. Well, if you are homebound, why would you want to live in the villages. If you are homebound then most likely money is tight, and this isn't the place. Also, bad healthcare here. And, what work will the adult child do while being a caretaker. Well, if they have a job then the villager doesn't need a caretaker.

Fourth. I don't know a fourth. I don't see a problem with a 30 year old BUYING a home here. That would mean they have a vested interest in The Villagers, however all the others are either using the villager, guilting the villager or there is a better place to live. It isn't here.

So, to conclude.
No jobs.
Bad healthcare.
Crime goes up.
Mostly other people are over 60 years old.

No good can come from an adult child living in The Villages.

Okay, let the hate begin. I wonder if there is anyone on my side?
Why do you assume that if adult children live here crime will increase? Duh! Also there are plenty of jobs here. Health Care is more than adequate. Where are you getting your information from??????
Old 09-24-2018, 05:51 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldnol View Post
First off, it's none of your damn business.

Secondly, my son lives with us because he's on the autism spectrum. He has a college degree and is employed. It's just living on his own would be to over whelming to him.

Third, again it's none of your damn business. I so glad you have led a charmed and perfect life.
Bless you for being a loving and committed parent. Too many people have their nose sniffing in other people's business, it is one of my struggles in The Villages. Family is everything and you have every right to enjoy your son and see him thrive and enjoy life. I commend you.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:14 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,768 Posts

The on-line news today reported a 24 year man living in Country Club Hills and a 36 year old woman residing in Mallory square were (separately) arrested. They both were repeat offenders having criminal histories. A 54 year old convicted child sex offender moved from one villages to another. And the beat goes on.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-24-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
The on-line news today reported a 24 year man living in Country Club Hills and a 36 year old woman residing in Mallory square were (separately) arrested. They both were repeat offenders having criminal histories. A 54 year old convicted child sex offender moved from one villages to another. And the beat goes on.
What is your point? One can pick isolated incidents to prove any point.
The online newspaper did not say the woman arrested in Mallory Square currently lives in Mallory Square.
She actually lives outside of The Villages.
The crime rate is very low for a community of this size.

Last edited by Barefoot; 09-24-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:22 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
What is your point? One can pick isolated incidents to prove any point.
The crime rate is very low for a community of this size.
Thankfully that is so obviously because the population almost entirely comprises law abiding self sufficient successful geriatric retirees.

My point is that on a per capita basis the under 55 population who are not caregivers or physically or mentally challenged individuals incapable of living on their own statistically contains an inordinate number of criminals of one stripe or another.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
adult, child, villages, living, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.