Default Pods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
consider pods
Very expensive
Old 09-27-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVillages View Post
For PODs, do you pay by the POD size & distance or do they also add the weight?
Weight isn't a factor, so no impact on cost. I got a quote about four months ago for Northern Virginia to TV and was in the neighborhood of $3600. I just updated it since we close in a few weeks and it is now $5400. I may be off a little on the numbers, but there is a ~$300 drop off fee, roughly $4400 transport fee, pick up of the pod was free, and the rest was mandatory minimum insurance, taxes, etc. We factored in two days to load the POD and one day to unload. There is no storage in that quote. Note that was for one POD!

We're revamping our strategy and using just one POD for furniture. We have tons of boxes, but will be cheaper to get them down via another mechanism besides a mover or PODs.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:20 PM

As I'm reading this, My POD is in transit. I first priced UPAK which was cheaper, but their rates are for one week. So, you have to load within one or two days and when it's delivered, you have a day or so to unload, I believe. If you're having someone load it, that might work for you. For us it wasn't. We needed the full month. Two and a half weeks to load because my husband was doing it and I packed daily. I also purchased through pods their lock for $15. It was interesting watching how the pod is placed on your driveway. It lifts straight down and steady. We will be coming down to TV this weekend to unload.
There are people within the Villages that will unload for you if you physically can't.
As far as you bringing your furniture, that is totally your choice. We didn't. Only our backyard stuff. We wanted new and my daughter just bought a house and is taking almost everything! So, I feel really good about that.
I do have to say though, I did pack a lot of stuff I know I shouldn't have, but I can't part from things. LOL. So, I'll see what I want to display and then try selling at a garage sale or through our TV websites. I'm sure whatever you decide, it will be the right decision for you! Good luck
Old 09-27-2022, 04:06 PM

I moved from NY to The Villages. I was very happy I brought all my furniture, even though I recently purchased new couches for my living room. I didn't need to rush and found exactly what I wanted.
Used Colonial Van Lines and that was a huge mistake.
If I had to do it again, I would use Pods.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
If they do a pod do not pay the high price they charge for storage - there is a storage unit place in Wildwood called A/C STORAGE - every unit is a/c and you can have pod delivered there and unload it yourself - we hired locals to do the unloading- good luck.
They refused to allow a pod delivered, even for a 48hour turn around, New owners, not easy to work with, plus their storage rate is the same as Pods
Old 09-28-2022, 05:31 AM
Default Always Faithful Moving Company

We were very happy and used Always Faithful Moving Company. They are a smaller moving company in Florida. They moved us from Illinois to The Villages. They moved my sister from PA to an hour from here. They have moved my brother a few times. We didn’t have any damage. We were really glad we brought our furniture. Other people we know ended up waiting 5-6 months for new furniture to be delivered. The movers were careful getting the furniture out and in our houses. They were patient and I didn’t feel rushed. It was the best move we had out of the 17 times we moved. We were a military family. The owner was in the military, too. The owner is Steve
(352) 442-8342
Old 09-28-2022, 07:48 AM

If you have help on either end to load and unload - the cheapest way is a Home Depot box truck rental- per day 6 days roughly 900 plus gas 500 to NY- rent in Florida drive up and bring back to same store - I did not want to trust any company with my Steinway piano…..
Old 09-28-2022, 07:53 AM
Default ABF Trailer

We used ABF from Vegas, they dropped off a 27 ft trailer at the house. You can load (3 days) call release the load for transport and they pick up and deliver to your new address. You are charged for the linear footage of the trailer you load! It was 1/2 the price of PODS.

Good luck!
Old 09-28-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVillages View Post
We plan to move only some of our furniture to TV. Seeking advice on movers.
I would suggest a Pod. I have friends that couldn't get their belongings more than 30 days.
They also lost some of their stuff.
Your furniture will not be move to Florida until a large truck is filled with other people's furniture as well as yours.
With a Pod. You can have someone load it. Or you can load it yourself. But everything in that pod is yours. It isn't moved for a small truck to a large truck. Lost or broken in the process.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You will probably pay more to move it than it is worth.
what he said. we moved all our stuff down before realizing it didn't 'fit' the decor of Florida. if i had to do it over, i'd leave ALL of it behind & start anew.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:07 AM

If you purchased directly with a Villages Representative, ask him/her about The Villages relocation service. Great free advice and recommendations. We saved a lot of money using their recommendations on movers.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:30 AM
Default Careful Selection of Furniture to Keep

The only furniture we have that we moved to Florida in 2000, is one bedroom set. The only furniture we have that we moved from South Florida to The Villages in 2011 is the same bedroom set and an office desk & file. It is difficult to sell unwanted dark furniture from up North here...do it up there and save the moving money.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Why does everyone think up north furniture is always dark? We have never had heavy dark furniture, until we bought furniture at Southern Life styles (that dates us for how long we have been here).
Is Florida style have plants, flowers, rattan. We always bought things that were comfortable.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkw1 View Post
We used a mover from Franklin, MA. The large companies do multiply households at the same time to help reduce the cost.
We used a pod to move just some furniture but not all of it since we still maintain a home in Rhode Island

Franklin, how about that. I worked in Franklin for the last 15 years of my working career, nice town. Mike Welcome to TV.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
If you purchased directly with a Villages Representative, ask him/her about The Villages relocation service. Great free advice and recommendations. We saved a lot of money using their recommendations on movers.
We used MLS.
Closed Thread

Tags
advice, furniture, seeking, move, plan

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.