Advice re Gas Grill

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 02:29 PM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife
Default Advice re Gas Grill

I’m considering getting a propane gas grill but our CYV gets the sun all day on the patio. I’m concerned about the heat & propane canister in the super hot summer months. I could get a smaller portable grill on wheels & store it in the garage but I’m just wondering if anyone else has had similar concerns. Thank you.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:35 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

The key is not direct sun light, keeping the tank under 120 degrees...........lots of good info out on Google.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:37 PM

we have kept ours on the patio outside for over 10 years. keep a quality cover on the grill when not in use, have never had any problems.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLife View Post
I’m considering getting a propane gas grill but our CYV gets the sun all day on the patio. I’m concerned about the heat & propane canister in the super hot summer months. I could get a smaller portable grill on wheels & store it in the garage but I’m just wondering if anyone else has had similar concerns. Thank you.
Ask yourself a question. When was the last time you heard of a BBQ propane tank exploding? The fact is you haven't because it isn't something that happens.

All a hot propane tank will do is raise the internal tank pressure. The tank will start venting when it hits about 375 PSI. Normal pressure on full tank on a 100 degree day is about 175psi. Even at 125 degrees in Death Valley, it probably won't start venting. No amount of sunlight in Florida is going to cause that.

Put your grill wherever you'd like and don't worry about it blowing up. If it starts hissing, look for the bonfire that it's sitting on, and put that out first
Old 11-24-2020, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

I dang) sure wouldn’t store it in the garage!
Old 11-24-2020, 04:56 PM
Veteran member

weber is the best all round gas grill , and get the 3 burner one .
Old 11-24-2020, 05:04 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by village dreamer View Post
weber is the best all round gas grill , and get the 3 burner one .
So are you saying the weber has a safer propane tank than others???
Old 11-24-2020, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,081 Times in 2,746 Posts

Not a problem, our birdcage faces southwest and get lots of direct sunlight and we have never had an issue. Grill on : )
Old 11-24-2020, 08:07 PM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

Thank you everyone for your replies! Much appreciated.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

To make your grill last longer, you should definitely get a cover. They're only about $25 to $50 and that alone will keep the direct sun off the tank. I have a CYV that faces east and my backyard gets sun all afternoon, so it's shaded in the morning by the house but gets sun afternoon, no problems in almost 10 years.

One tip is to buy two tanks, nothing worse then to be in the middle of grilling something and you're tank runs out.They're about $30 each at Ace Hardware. I'm not a big fan of Blue Rhino and taking tanks back and forth, you never know what tank you're going to get, something old and beat up, and you have to hassle with Lowes or someone else. Living in the south area, I use the Ace Hardware in the Wildwood Shopping Center, just drive your car around the back and leave the tank, they're usually an attendant there. He'll fill them up and you pay by the weight, when one runs out, you got a couple of months to get it filled because you're using the other tank.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Our tank sits under the M/B window and we have had only 3 tanks blow up but that's why we have insurance. Picking up the pieces of siding and all my wife's clothes from our neighbors yard every year or so is a bit of a nuisance though. Our neighbor called the 2 ladies in a golf cart (with the clip boards) to report us as a nuisance but it isn't in our deed restrictions so they didn't show up. After the 3rd time we switched to a pellet smoker now they complain about the smell of wood but we just drop a rack of ribs at their front door and they don't bother us anymore.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:05 AM

Check with propane tank sellers. I believe theirs sit outside.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
So are you saying the weber has a safer propane tank than others???
The make of the grill makes no difference. Propane tanks have safety devices and haven't been a problem since the 1960's. There is more chance of damage from food flaring up and starting a fire.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
To make your grill last longer, you should definitely get a cover. They're only about $25 to $50 and that alone will keep the direct sun off the tank. I have a CYV that faces east and my backyard gets sun all afternoon, so it's shaded in the morning by the house but gets sun afternoon, no problems in almost 10 years.

One tip is to buy two tanks, nothing worse then to be in the middle of grilling something and you're tank runs out.They're about $30 each at Ace Hardware. I'm not a big fan of Blue Rhino and taking tanks back and forth, you never know what tank you're going to get, something old and beat up, and you have to hassle with Lowes or someone else. Living in the south area, I use the Ace Hardware in the Wildwood Shopping Center, just drive your car around the back and leave the tank, they're usually an attendant there. He'll fill them up and you pay by the weight, when one runs out, you got a couple of months to get it filled because you're using the other tank.
I agree with having a second tank and I also prefer to own my own tank but the replaceable tank companies test and inspect every tank that is returned to them before refilling by law. They are probably safer than those owned. When you get yours refilled, the refilling company is supposed to check the date of the tank and it's condition and refuse to refill it if it has expired or shows sign of problems.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
The key is not direct sun light, keeping the tank under 120 degrees...........lots of good info out on Google.
Don't be afraid to leave it in direct sun light. They are all painted white to prevent them from absorbing heat. Just think about all the houses across the country that use propane for their fuel for heat, cooking, etc.. The tanks are on pads just outside the house.
Closed Thread

Tags
grill, i’m, propane, gas, garage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.