AED Collection Guilt

Old 03-29-2024, 06:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
No, no, no.. I was replying to the "Petition" you mention...

You must actually sign your name, so that info is public...
Got it!
Old 03-29-2024, 06:34 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think trying to “shame” people into doing anything is pretty low. I wouldn’t do that to our lovely street. It would definitely divide our community. Even those who planned to give, wouldn’t.
Remind me to buy a dozen boxes of Girl Scout cookies next time they pass thru!
Old 03-29-2024, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,313 Times in 826 Posts

In a community with a 6 minute response time by full time paramedics a neighborhood CPR training initiative would be much more beneficial than AED implementation. By the time a neighbor runs to retrieve the AED the paramedics are there. That time was better spent administering CPR.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Our village sent out an email suggesting what dollar amount was being requested per residence . There was a drop off box where a check could be placed. All was private. No one knew what percent actually participated or for that matter a need to know. We have the program and maintenance funds are solicited the same way.

Personally I think going door to door asking is intimidating.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:42 PM

The average rate of donation for the AED program is 70%;
Old 03-29-2024, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,047 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Our village sent out an email suggesting what dollar amount was being requested per residence . There was a drop off box where a check could be placed. All was private. No one knew what percent actually participated or for that matter a need to know. We have the program and maintenance funds are solicited the same way.

Personally I think going door to door asking is intimidating.
That is a classy way to do it.
Old 03-30-2024, 04:15 AM

My door was knocked at 2x for this. Nice ladies. Although it sounds like a good idea I just don't want to throw out $100... especially after paying the latest property tax bill. Yeesh! There is some guilt, yes... but 44% means I'm not the only one. Sorry ladies I just can't. Not everyone in the villages is rich.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:15 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,077 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
In a community with a 6 minute response time by full time paramedics a neighborhood CPR training initiative would be much more beneficial than AED implementation. By the time a neighbor runs to retrieve the AED the paramedics are there. That time was better spent administering CPR.
We have an AED program in our neighborhood. A huge part of the program is having neighbors trained as responders. That training is centered on CPR, but also includes AED usage. If 6 minutes is an average, then obviously there are response times greater than that. We have had several call-outs for actual cardiac events since our program was initiated, and never once have the paramedics gotten to the scene before the neighborhood responders. I am very thankful to live in a Village with neighbors who care about each other.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,077 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalley View Post
The average rate of donation for the AED program is 70%;
While that may be statistically true (it is a figure touted by VPSD), it is really not meaningful. There are many "AED Neighborhood Groups" that are comprised of a single street, or an otherwise small number of homes. In some of those tiny groups, the participation rate is at or near 100%. If you are talking about implementing a program within an entire Village, participation rates that high are unrealistic. The AED program in our Village attained a donation rate just over 50%, which we felt was excellent. We reached the monetary goal, and fully implemented the program.
Old 03-30-2024, 06:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
We have an AED program in our neighborhood. A huge part of the program is having neighbors trained as responders. That training is centered on CPR, but also includes AED usage. If 6 minutes is an average, then obviously there are response times greater than that. We have had several call-outs for actual cardiac events since our program was initiated, and never once have the paramedics gotten to the scene before the neighborhood responders. I am very thankful to live in a Village with neighbors who care about each other.
Your not gonna sway many on here. This topic has been out there for weeks. Obviously the ones that paid attention and did due diligence reading the threads...agree that it’s CPR first and foremost. Training and certification is usually for both.....so one would know that. I know of no one that has just AED certs. I haven’t called out one single poster about contributing or not to this program....only of it’s importance in TV and it’s supplemental value to uniformed first responders. Btw, not once in these threads existence has anybody asked a member of public safety (ie; police, FF or EMT) if they value the assist that these groups provide on occasion. I already know that answer. So once again, whether you contribute, don’t contribute or are neutral on this one....either way, someone....paid or unpaid, has you and your family’s back.
Old 03-30-2024, 07:39 AM
Default Who is qualified?

Summary of Requirements
No legislation is currently in place for Florida. Anyone that obtains an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) is required to complete a course in cardiopulmonary resuscitation, successfully complete basic first aid training, and demonstrate proficient use of an AED.

Ok so do we have people qualified? What if we do and they are out for dinner at sumter landing or up north. Then what?
Does somebody have to be on call 24 hours?
Old 03-30-2024, 07:54 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,567 Times in 600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think trying to “shame” people into doing anything is pretty low. I wouldn’t do that to our lovely street. It would definitely divide our community. Even those who planned to give, wouldn’t.
Who cares what others do??? If you want to give…give. If not…don’t. Why would it divide the street?? Would you stop talking to someone who didn’t donate?? If you do and others do well, That’s the problem.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:31 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,878 Times in 793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVTVTV View Post
There has been recent discussions about Villages AED programs; pros and cons, why some choose to give and reasons some don't.

However, on a Village FB post today this "chart of guilt" was posted for the neighborhood to gossip about. WOW. Unbelievable that specific streets and percentages are posted. It's not (or shouldn't be) everyone's business. Way to go - very unprofessional and great for neighborhood comraderie.
I know of two AEDs on my block, but I consider them irrelevant. I live alone. My door is locked. I don’t know who in the neighborhood knows how to use these. They may be shopping or golfing or taking a shower when I need them. If my heart stops, I can’t even call 911. If I thought I was having a heart attack and called 911, could I get the door unlocked or would it have to be broken down? Certainly most people having a heart attack do not need defibrillating. Defibrillating someone whose heart is actually beating is not a good idea, and when you are an old person who has just run a block carrying an AED, you may not be in a position to tell if there is a pulse. It’s not always easy! And then if my heart is restarted, how long did it not beat? The majority of people whose hearts are restarted suffer some level of brain damage. Do I want that, or would I rather be dead? Success with defibrillators is often based on leaving the hospital alive or surviving thirty days, even if the person will never leave a nursing home. I’d rather die.
Old 03-30-2024, 08:32 AM

Our neighborhood is blessed. We have 30 something members of the team. Of course all of them won’t be near by when the response text comes, but hopefully enough. We have 3 devices posted in different parts of the neighborhood. If you are close to one, you get it. Everyone else responds to the location. Including those trained in CPR. Some folks will do crowd control and keep the street open for first responders, some help control pets, one will work with family members to grab the medical records and meds. Some move furniture to make room for gurney. But most importantly, are those working the unresponsive person with the AED and CPR. So, the CPR does happen in our area, but the AED is a tool that we wouldn’t have without our program. When I arrrived in TV last summer, our welcome wagon folks came by and among the gifts they brought was information on the program, the medical emergency forms kept on the fridge and a form explaining the program and requesting a donation. From that point, they continue with fundraisers vs direct donations. My personal favorite is a night golf scramble. I’ve participated twice since we arrived. Lots of fun and no pressure. Great volunteers give their time to keep it all organized. In a community with our average age (not that you need to be old to need it) we are indeed blessed..
Old 03-30-2024, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,808 Times in 5,291 Posts

What we need is an audit of how much money has been spent on these AED programs, and how many times have the units been used. To me, it doesn't make sense to just throw money at something without any data to justify it.

Tags
aed, neighborhood, guilt, gossip, wow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.