Question about lawn care

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Default Question about lawn care

We've recently starting looking at The Villages and reading as much as we can. I do have a question regarding lawn care. Would we be required to use a lawn care service, or is that only an option?

Your posts have been very helpful!

thank you
Old 04-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Sage

Our neighbors maintain their own lawn and shrubs. Good exercise, if you feel up to it.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,515 Times in 1,913 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Do you mean that if you go away (like a snowbird) that you can just leave it untended?

Not trying to start trouble...but sometimes this blonde hair causes me to NOT understand.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:07 PM

You can do all of your own lawn work no problem. And if you go away for long enough for the grass to need mowing then you need to arrainge for someone to mow it while you are gone. Thats all. Simple..
Old 04-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

We get down every other month for a month at a time and so far I've kept the lawn up without a problem. I mow when I get there, again when I leave and it's fine. Fertilizer and weeds (Preen) are no issue either.

Pay if you want, but it's really not hard. Note: I do have a patio villa, that helps and I prefer it low maintenance. C'mon down.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 PM
Gold member
Default mowing

I'm a remote owner - not even a snowbird yet - rent it out as much as I can and come down on a few vacations a year. I have a CYV - pay the same price per month year-round but have been told they mow twice a month in the winter (slow growing time) and every week in the spring/summer (fast growing time). When I've been there in December seems like it's not looking really bad when they mow after 2 weeks, but doubt if you could wait a month then and probably for sure can't wait a month in the spring/summer. You'd probably find a letter from Neighborhood Watch or whomever it is that keeps track (and I'm pretty sure they do notice).

By the way - I'm sure I can find the info on line (but I'm lazy) - does anyone know if you need approval to add a storm door?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

Ohio girl, I mowed Nov 1, and hadn't yet mowed again, and it's not shaggy by any means (though I last saw it on March 1).

I think the mowing guys are mostly a rip, but that's me, I'm thrifty LOL.

If someone isn't sure, can't hurt to watch it grow and then decide instead of bringing out the checkbook when it needs so little care.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Gold member

Wow - maybe once I move there I will just buy a reel mower and go at it twice a year!

Seriously, I will definitely check this out once I move down. Since I'm renting it out can't really try the option of wait and see how it grows at the moment. Although - this year, with all the really cold weather, it probably hasn't needed it. We have zoysia, which goes dormant in cold weather, and it probably hasn't needed mowing at all for several months. That should change once the rainy season and nice weather kicks in.

Don't think you sign contracts with most of the mowing services. Could probably just get one for the summer months if you're a snowbird and do it yourself a few times in the winter, maybe only twice, who knows?
Old 04-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Default Re: Storm Door

Hello:

I'm not that much up on the rules around here yet. I haven't checked what they've changed in the last 30 minutes but since it is your house and you do own you house, no one should be able to tell you you cannot put a storm door on your own house.

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:48 PM

There are two types of grasses in The Villages. You have St. Augustine in the lawns that are 4 years or older and Zoysia in the lawns that are less than 4 years old. The St Augustine must be cut year round while the Zoysia goes dormant in the winter for about 5 months. The St Augustine must be cut weekly from April through November while the Zoysia can be cut once every three weeks if you let it go a little longer.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
By the way - I'm sure I can find the info on line (but I'm lazy) - does anyone know if you need approval to add a storm door?
As long as your new storm door is a neutral color, probably no-one will even notice it.

Village Watch frowns on purple storm doors.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.