African-American Residents?

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Send a message via AIM to kintemom
Default African-American Residents?

We're an African-American couple who have visited The Villages at least four times now (most recently last week) and have a VERY strong interest in purchasing and spending the remainder of our "happy" years there - hopefully by middle of next year. Although I've read many posts from TV folks indicating that age, ethnicity, ability to play golf!, etc., etc. doesn't matter in the community, I've not specifically seen anything on this forum - to my knowledge - about (or from) people of color who either live or aspire to live in The Villages. Are there any "experiences" out there that could be shared with us - good or bad - on this subject?

Maybe it hasn't been discussed because there's no real "need" to discuss it - and that's a good thing! But we're just curious...and I feel that this forum has always offered honest, thought-provoking, and to-the-point information about any and all subject matters...so I challenge you to keep up the good work!

PS: My hubby's the golfer in the family, while I am addicted to the computer and the techy world and stay as far away from "sports" as possible! THANKS for any responses that you'd like to share.

If for whatever reason, you'd prefer to send me a private message re: this topic, please feel free to do so (although I have no idea where I'd retrieve that private message!!!).
Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Eternal Member
Default Everybody's Welcome

People here are from all over the country, and in fact the world (at least the UK). I've met people from all parts of the US. All have a common interest - living their "Golden Years" out in TV. Having that common bond is more important than any of the differences.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

What differences?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Eternal Member

Gracie, you're from Ohio, I'm from NYC. Take my word for it, we're different!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
Gold member
Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintemom View Post
We're an African-American couple who have visited The Villages at least four times now (most recently last week) and have a VERY strong interest in purchasing and spending the remainder of our "happy" years there - hopefully by middle of next year. Although I've read many posts from TV folks indicating that age, ethnicity, ability to play golf!, etc., etc. doesn't matter in the community, I've not specifically seen anything on this forum - to my knowledge - about (or from) people of color who either live or aspire to live in The Villages. Are there any "experiences" out there that could be shared with us - good or bad - on this subject?

Maybe it hasn't been discussed because there's no real "need" to discuss it - and that's a good thing! But we're just curious...and I feel that this forum has always offered honest, thought-provoking, and to-the-point information about any and all subject matters...so I challenge you to keep up the good work!

PS: My hubby's the golfer in the family, while I am addicted to the computer and the techy world and stay as far away from "sports" as possible! THANKS for any responses that you'd like to share.

If for whatever reason, you'd prefer to send me a private message re: this topic, please feel free to do so (although I have no idea where I'd retrieve that private message!!!).

We don't live here yet but here are my observations. I think that your attitude toward being in a 98% or so white community are most important. On our visits, I have seen blacks doing the same thing as everyone else, with everyone else. They seem to be Villagers. They look the same. They dress the same. The do the same. The only reason that I even noticed them is because they were few. I am sure that you will fit in as well as any.

Best of luck.

Yoda
Old 03-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Obviously, I can't reply from your point of view but I can discuss what I've observed. People of all colors seem to be well accepted here. I've seen them on the golf courses with all ethnic groups mingled together. There are a few that play bridge (my game of choice) and we "sharks" happily beat up on them as much as we do everyone else (and they happily beat up on us since one of these sharks is a wonderful African-American gentleman).

As was said, you would be a minority but, from what I've seen, not treated differently because of that. Now, admit you're a liberal or a Democrat and be prepared to duck. Some of those conservative Republicans are downright mean!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-30-2009, 12:58 PM
Platinum member
Default Come On Down

Quote:

The couple two doors down from us are African-American. I don't know what the numbers are and don't care. They are wonderful neighbors and we are becoming fast friends. I can't say as much for some of the people in TV that are not. The character of the people is what is important and not the color or lack thereof. We are all mixed up here, but most all of us are here for the same reason you want to come. There is plenty to do for both of you to do your own things or to do them together. Welcome!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:18 PM

I am still a Villages Wannabee but I have visited and have never noticed any difference in treatment of anyone. I marvel at the wonderful generosity and spirit of Villagers of all ages and enthnicities. Iam sure that there are a few who pay attention to color, ages, religion, etc., but you will find that anywhere. The wonderful thing about TV is that the open, friendly people so outnumber any others that may be out there that its not even noticed. Now as Red said, conservatives outnumber liberals and there have been some very heated discussions on these boards but even those are not vicious and rarely get personal. Just passionate. I think you will love living in TV so go for it. I hope we get to meet someday!
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Platinum member

We have friends here in The Villages that are African American. Met them at church. She is an author, and I love her books.
Tampa, FL
Old 03-30-2009, 04:55 PM

Kintemom,
I am an African American female, and planning to buy/become a full time resident within 2 years. I have nothing but great things to say about the folks in TV and on this forum (love, love, love TOTV!). I visited TV a few times and felt very welcome everywhere I went. I have a few cousins who have lived in TV for over 10 years and they have had nothing but great experiences/stories to tell, have great friends and are all extremely active. I too am a techie and don't play golf (but love to run, dance and all physical activity), so we can look forward to meeting up sometime!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default The only difference when all gets said and done is color.

If we all went around with a hat to display a different color for each of our different ethnic backgrounds, one would note there are many different colored hats being worn. And if we went to the next step and said all the non US born should wear a shirt of distinction, there would be another minority group.

I know the responses could be yeah but that is not the same. I have too many friends in TV and else where and have been color blind most of my personal and professional life.

I do not think folks of "color" will draw any more attention or different treatment than some of us who may have different speech accents...it really doesn't matter....that 98% VS 2% distinction is a distraction from the real life reality here in TV.....in my very humble opinion.

Come on down!!!

BTK
Old 03-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Send a message via AIM to kintemom
Default "Americans" in TV !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What differences?
To all: I guess Graciegirl said it best! Thank you all for the many wonderful and thoughtful responses to my inquiry. I've made at least 2 or 3 chit-chat friends already and even have an invite for my husband and I for drinks!!! What else could anyone want?

Life is what YOU make it.....and we're going to be making it in TV real soon, I pray. See you all when we get there!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee
Smile

Quote:
To all: I guess Graciegirl said it best! Thank you all for the many wonderful and thoughtful responses to my inquiry. I've made at least 2 or 3 chit-chat friends already and even have an invite for my husband and I for drinks!!! What else could anyone want?

Life is what YOU make it.....and we're going to be making it in TV real soon, I pray. See you all when we get there!

See you at Crispers!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Kintemom, I sent you a private message. If you look in the upper right hand corner of your screen, you'll see Private Messages. We're a friendly bunch here in The Villages. If you like the lifestyle, you'll like living in the community. Best of luck in your decision!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

It's not about anyone's ethnicity here, that I have seen, but the class, and content of the people. As a very famous man once said "content of character, not color of skin" Get here and enjoy the golden years of your life like you deserve to.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.