African-American Residents?

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2009, 06:02 AM
Platinum member

While everyone is typically very excepting of just about everyone...race, sex, religion, etc....most cultures have certain traditions or events that are shared amongst themselves...that is why there are so many clubs and organizations in TV's....so while one has many friends in TV's and in their neighborhoods....they still have people of their own heritage or culture or lifestyle to connect with as well.

There are clubs for almost every heritage here...including an African-American club....

My point is....get down here and enjoy life with everyone....but you also have the chance to join a club of people that are steaped in your specific traditions....it is always a wonderful thing to share in ones heritage and cultural traditions.....

Most of these clubs also have wonderful evenings where they cook traditional meals.....I have been able to participate in the Korean and Japanese club dinners...WOW!!! Talk about good food!! YUM

Suzy Toronto
Old 03-31-2009, 06:10 AM
Veteran member

Here's the link to TV African American club.

http://taaclub.org/
Old 03-31-2009, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCT View Post
It's not about anyone's ethnicity here, that I have seen, but the class, and content of the people. As a very famous man once said "content of character, not color of skin" Get here and enjoy the golden years of your life like you deserve to.

RCT, I enjoy what you have to say and I couldn't agree with you more on this post. Well said as usual!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Default We're TV Wannabe's

We've visited and have never seen such a friendly place. I'm with you on the "keeping away from sports." Hopefully, if we get to TV, I'll get a wee bit more active.

I would say move there as fast as you can, so you can start enjoying all the benefits of the Villages.

Jan
New Jersey
Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Default American period

My Great Grandparents moved here from Poland and the Balkans. After they moved here there was never a hyphen in their ethnicity. Never even a thought of it. They were never Polish-American or Balkan-American.
They moved here so they could call themselves what they are, not what they were. "American".
My Grandfather told me a story when I was very young about my Great Grandfather being asked to join a "Polish-American" club in Chicago. My Great Grandfather retorted, "We may have come from Poland, but I am American now".

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

My next-door neighbor is a delightful woman of color who is so beautiful on the inside and outside. She's very active in many social activities here in TV, as well as the African-American Club. Hubby and I adore her and feel like she's part of our family.

Yes, we are all human beings with diverse backgrounds and ethnicity that we treasure and respect in all. The Villages is truly "The Friendliest Hometown" with no "class" distinction; everyone is considered equal here. One could be in the company of millionaires and blue-collars and not know the difference, or even care because it's the goodness of all that is what it's all about.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney

Last edited by barb1191; 04-02-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRMnLgs View Post
My Great Grandparents moved here from Poland and the Balkans. After they moved here there was never a hyphen in their ethnicity. Never even a thought of it. They were never Polish-American or Balkan-American.
They moved here so they could call themselves what they are, not what they were. "American".
My Grandfather told me a story when I was very young about my Great Grandfather being asked to join a "Polish-American" club in Chicago. My Great Grandfather retorted, "We may have come from Poland, but I am American now".
On the one hand I tend to agree with your grandfather, SABR. On the other I am a little envious of those who can say they are Afro-American, Irish-American, Polish-American, etc., etc.
I am from such a mixed background I can't lay claim to any definite ethnic, racial, religious or national background. One of my grandfathers ran away from home in his early teens and would never reveal where he was from.
My surname is of no help. It is fairly common in a number of countries. It is also the Anglicized version of a number of names of even other countries.
I'll just keep on celebrating every national and ethnic holiday that comes along with special emphasis on July Fourth.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
On the one hand I tend to agree with your grandfather, SABR. On the other I am a little envious of those who can say they are Afro-American, Irish-American, Polish-American, etc., etc.
I am from such a mixed background I can't lay claim to any definite ethnic, racial, religious or national background. One of my grandfathers ran away from home in his early teens and would never reveal where he was from.
My surname is of no help. It is fairly common in a number of countries. It is also the Anglicized version of a number of names of even other countries.
I'll just keep on celebrating every national and ethnic holiday that comes along with special emphasis on July Fourth.
A wonderful American-American story!

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
A wonderful American-American story!
Beautiful summation Shirleevee!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.