age limits to live in the villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Default age limits to live in the villages

I read with interest the discussion about the free use of facilities by non residents. I really don't like either. I for one do not mind being checked at the facilities. I wish they did it more.

Also, what about the age for living in the villages? Today, I read in the Sun about a man named Lloyd who was identified as a Villages resident who was arrested for various drug charges. His age was stated as 44. What's up with this?
Old 05-17-2008, 03:11 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: age limits to live in the villages

Anyone over the age 19 can legally live here. to my understanding 80% of the deed holders have to be 55+....we bought a home here and put our parents on the deed as 10% owners....but then we had friends of our buy homes and they were under 55 and nothing was said. It depends on the realtor you use. Even some that work for Properties of the Villages don't make a big deal about it.

Suzy Toronto
Old 05-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Sage

bonnej,

All permanent residents have to be over 18 yrs old...so, Mr Floyd would have been legal. This is an age restricted community where one owner (i.e. name on the title) is supposed to be 55+. But, even here, there is a legal 20% exception....up to 20% of the homes can be exclusively owned by someone under 55. Bear in mind the difference between owner, resident, and guest. I don't believe there are any restrictions on the ages of your guests (or renters)...other than ones under 18 can't stay for more than 30 days within a calendar year.

The rec centers I go to always check IDs. I have not witnessed an ID check in my local adult pool for some time, though. I wish the rec dept would increase the ID checks to cut back on outsiders poaching our pools and facilities.

But, as others have commented, this is an annoyance but not a major calamity.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Veteran member

Money talks and the 20% is used routinely. We have friends who bought a home and neither was 55.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:25 PM
Sage

I don't think that money needs to talk in this case. 20% means exactly that and anyone can take advantage of it. From what i saw a few weeks i don't think the 20% barrier is even close to being broken.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Our neighbor's children (in their 40s) just bought houses here. We have neighbors who own houses here and are not yet 50. My thought on this is...SO WHAT!!! I wanted to live in a "fun" place...not an old folks home!!! As long as everyone acts responsibly I don't care if they are 25 or 55 or 105. In fact, when neighbors have visiting grandchildren...I LOVE to hear their giggles in the yards and on the lanais. I also always go to a "family" pool when I go so I can see and hear the little ones. I have 4 grandchildren and even though they do now live in FL, they are 3 hours away and I miss them...I miss my own children being young...Heck, I miss ME being young!!!!! Guess I'm living vicariously through others, eh???? Oh well, like I said, as long as the home owners are responsible, respectful and like living here...I don't care how old they are or aren't
Old 05-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP
Our neighbor's children (in their 40s) just bought houses here. We have neighbors who own houses here and are not yet 50. My thought on this is...SO WHAT!!! I wanted to live in a "fun" place...not an old folks home!!! As long as everyone acts responsibly I don't care if they are 25 or 55 or 105. In fact, when neighbors have visiting grandchildren...I LOVE to hear their giggles in the yards and on the lanais. I also always go to a "family" pool when I go so I can see and hear the little ones. I have 4 grandchildren and even though they do now live in FL, they are 3 hours away and I miss them...I miss my own children being young...Heck, I miss ME being young!!!!! Guess I'm living vicariously through others, eh???? Oh well, like I said, as long as the home owners are responsible, respectful and like living here...I don't care how old they are or aren't

:#1: :#1: :#1:

Suzy Toronto
Old 05-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Veteran member

JKP I'M with you
my wife and i were just discussing how close to a pool we would like to be! she emphasized an adult pool and i said no a family pool. I want to be around people and children that will make me feel younger.
Wanabee future TVer
Old 05-19-2008, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

Your pool will be based on where you buy. I really wanted the quiet of an adult pool and we moved to Tall Trees which has one. I like the quiet and the ability to lay out in the sun and read if I like. Everyone has different choices and I do hope you get yours.

Best of luck. :bigthumbsup:
Old 05-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Platinum member

ON TOPIC-Money talks??! You've got to be kidding. To be designated a retirement community, the 80/20 requirement must be adhered to. I am biting my tongue now. GEEZ! OFF TOPIC-sorry top :cop: I guess I have the best of 3 worlds! The family pool is a 3 minute golf cart drive, adult 4 minutes, and the country club pool is less than 1 minute!!! Choices, choices?? Hmmm, lunch poolside, listening to the waterfall, chatting with friendly people and enjoying the laughter of children!! The Prehistoric Side, where Mr Schwartz began TV lifestyle is my idea of utopia!! I hope when Brownwood is complete, the family, in so honoring his legend, will go over the top to make my utopia seem scant for all who CHOOSE to join us! la la la ..............OK I must go BACK TO WORK
Old 05-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP

YOU are MY kind of person. I hope we can be friends. I absolutely agree with you.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:58 PM

In talking with someone who works for HUD, it is my understanding that to mandate that 100% of the population be over 55 would be age discrimination. With the 80/20 ratio there is no discrimination based on age.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Ridge
In talking with someone who works for HUD, it is my understanding that to mandate that 100% of the population be over 55 would be age discrimination. With the 80/20 ratio there is no discrimination based on age.
You are correct oh great and wise one. (not being name calling or sarcastic --- just an old Ed McMahon line to Carnac) I believe that is the rationale used by one of the district people in explaining the ruling. I asked her if the 20% was a minimum or maximum, but she couldn't seem to understand why it would make any difference.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 05-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman
JKP I'M with you
my wife and i were just discussing how close to a pool we would like to be! she emphasized an adult pool and i said no a family pool. I want to be around people and children that will make me feel younger.
Some areas have a NP just across from a FP and minutes from a CC pool. The Largo NP and the Bacall FP are directly across the street from one another for example.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:03 AM

FYI,
20% of 66000 = 13200,
Ave. Village size 1000 homes,
20% of 2000 = 400 under 55yrs, I don't think so.
Relate to your neighbors as true measurement.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.