Aggressive vehicle driving toward golf carts

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2020, 08:59 PM

The golf carts don’t have any right of way over vehicles here and they need to heed and yield to all cars and stop driving entities as there are way more cars than golf carts here! If the cat wants to go 50mph that’s their prerogative and golf carts need to stay clear of all cars and go on roads with caution! I don’t apologize for my speed I want to drive.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I'm 77, the state of Fl, can let met drive unexamined for the next 8 years--the State is nuts
I agree!!

When I was in college at the Univ. of Florida in the late 60's, I recall having to go to the police station to take a yearly physical exam. They asked me to read something and answer a couple very simple questions. They also had a simple vision and hearing test.

I thought it was great. They were basically testing to see if I was alive. This simple test probably weeded out people who should not be driving a car.

Unfortunately, this testing was discontinued after a year or two. I wish we still had it in the state.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:23 AM
Sage

anyone ever think the term "Golf Cart Community" is synonymous with another term "company store"--golf carts, most are sold thru the villages, finance thru the villages, serviced by the villages and restricted road use limits all activities to the villages--as in "16 tons" you owe your soul to the villages
Old 03-03-2020, 01:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Just a question: What does your post have to do with what I posted?
To answer your question, it has to do with all the ones saying that the area needs to be upgraded to be safer. I agree with you and am all for saving lives, but too many are not as concerned. They are more concerned about their pocketbooks.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-03-2020, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbner2805 View Post
The golf carts don’t have any right of way over vehicles here and they need to heed and yield to all cars and stop driving entities as there are way more cars than golf carts here! If the cat wants to go 50mph that’s their prerogative and golf carts need to stay clear of all cars and go on roads with caution! I don’t apologize for my speed I want to drive.
Not true at all. There are situations where the car has the right of way, and others where the cart has the right of way, Cars are required to slow to 20 at merge points, so a cart is free to merge if it has enough of a lead on the car (after signaling) . And if you want to drive 50 on Morse north of 466, you MOST CERTAINLY NEED TO APOLOGIZE
Old 03-03-2020, 04:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Cars are required to slow to 20 at merge points, so a cart is free to merge if it has enough of a lead on the car (after signaling) .
Please cite the code or law that requires this. If it isn't a traffic law how can it be enforced?
Old 03-03-2020, 04:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Please cite the code or law that requires this. If it isn't a traffic law how can it be enforced?
Read the sign before any merge point
Old 03-03-2020, 05:02 PM
Sage

Remember the merging vehicle NEVER has right away, if something goes wrong, try and prove the car going straight was speeding--YOU will lose
Old 03-03-2020, 05:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Remember the merging vehicle NEVER has right away, if something goes wrong, try and prove the car going straight was speeding--YOU will lose
It's a question of position relative to the vehicle in the lane. Using your term of "NEVER", you would have to sit at a merge point waiting for a car 2 miles away to come, which is clearly not the case. So therefore the question is how far ahead does the cart have to be to merge? If the cart is going 20, and the car is following the posted speed limit of 20 at the merge point, the car should never close the distance. But since we all know THAT doesn't happen (especially with the person who wants to drive 50 on Morse without apology), a car going 30 will close on a cart going 20 at 14.67 feet/second. So a lead of 100-150 feet should be more than sufficient unless Ray Charles is driving.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:11 PM
Sage

Tag, you lose--don't push your luck if you're smaller
Old 03-04-2020, 10:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
It is wise to avoid situations that you think are dangerous. Don't expect other people to care about your safety. Look out for yourself.

If you think it is dangerous to drive your golf cart in a certain place, then don't drive there. If you want to go there, then drive a safer vehicle, like a car.

Roads anywhere can be dangerous, so you will probably be safer in a larger vehicle. Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.
I agree with this advice. With hubby in the cart with me, I drove on Morse Blvd north of 466 to Spanish Springs from Mallory. That was a one and done. Not going to drive that route again in the golf cart. I prefer to drive the cart south of 466 which has wider cart paths and just seems safer all around.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:10 AM
Sage

Ya gotta believe this one, we were making a left hand turn into our driveway, turn signal one heard screeching brakes a golf cart was trying to pass me on my drivers side--the driver said , (woman) "I'm sorry" I said ," don't be sorry, be smart"

Again, golf carts are not toys- hope she had insurance, otherwise --if she would have collided with the Admiral's car--the repair would have been @ least $10K
Old 03-05-2020, 09:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

The original two way MMP that runs along the east side of Morse from Hacienda Hills CC should have been designed to run the full length to the wooden bridge by the church so golf carts wouldn't have to merge and cross traffic. There is more than plenty of room. One thing I have seen is a lot of golf carts turning left off Morse at Hacienda CC instead of using the tunnel making traffic stop. The tunnel was placed there for a reason.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:05 PM
Default Aggressive SUV vs Golf Cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyola View Post
I witnessed a gray SUV yesterday (2/28/20) on Morse Blvd around 5:30 PM heading south near the 466 gate driving very aggressively. I observed a golf cart in front of me put their blinker on to cross Morse (southbound) to get to the median to cross the northbound traffic just north of the 466 gate. The golf cart was over 200 feet in the clear of this gray SUV. The gray SUV had to be going well over 50 MPH because the SUV closed the gap very quickly on the golf cart. The golf cart barely was in the median when the driver of the SUV pulled up on them (in the median) and almost rammed the golf cart and laid on the horn for about 5 seconds, then drove off at a quick pace. We don't need this type of behavior in The Villages people. Please remember this is a golf cart community and golf carts share some of the roads we drive on so lets try and be respectful and safe.
I was almost killed three days ago by an aggressive driver in a White SUV. I was on my home street of E Schwartz Blvd signaling for a left turn into my driveway. As I started to cross into my driveway, the Driver behind me sped up and passed me on my left. I became breathless, upset and anxious that I had cheated death.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, suv, median, gray

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.