Air Conditioner Breakdowns

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Veteran member

When your Trane goes out, check first the 3 amp fuse in your air handler. Chuck Farrell replaced mine and gave me an extra just in case it happens again. All these storms we're having can blow the fuse.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Default Update

Just had the A/C guy from Trane to the house. Found several pin hole leaks in the coil. Freon leaking out. Replaced with 2 lbs of freon. Will cover it under warranty. Will take 4 to 6 weeks for part. Live in the Alandale Villas in the Village of Duval.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Angry Air Conditioning Concerns in Patio Villas

The Carriers are now experiencing leaks in the lines under the slabs. Our PV is 30 months old and the AC quit. SunKool and TV Warranty Dept said that the warranty expired 6 months ago. now having the line run through the crawl space. Service call, testing and new line installation $1,000. Both the TV Warranty folks and SunKool say that we're getting a deal. Apparently the original lines under the slab are inside of a pvc pipe and the joints aren't sealed, allowing moisture to enter, which leads to corrosion. The unsealed pvc connect apparently meets code. How do you spell collusion???
Old 11-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Sage

Sounds like you need to talk to someone like the above mentioned Chuck Farrell.

Note his comment regarding repair costs of AC units!

Also, there is a thing called latent defects that have a ten year warranty period.

Two years ago in old our house in Norcal, the upstairs shower pan started leaking after 9 1/2 years - we sent the builder a letter, they sent an inspector who concluded that it wasn't a maintenance issue and they sent out a crew to repair the shower and the 1st floor ceiling sheet rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_defect

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 11-18-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
I have a 3 year old Trane and I thought they were a top brand. One day it stopped cooling and I called the original installer. Seems I have (had?) a low leak involving the freon. Several neighbors have had minor problems of one sort or another with these units. Someone said earlier that they quit installing Tranes in TV. Does anyone have more informaion?
A very lage number of Trane evaporator coils (inside unit) failed and were replaced free by the original installer. There was a problem with corrosion resulting from two different metals in contact with each other. The units failed within the first couple of years...no problem since.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Unhappy Air Conditioners

We live in a Villas neighborhood that is just over ten years old and not a week goes by that someone isn't replacing an air conditioning unit.These units had a ten year warranty,curious isn,t it?And yes they are all Tranes.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 AM

When it comes to replacing central air units after 10-15 years is just normal anything more is gravy, at least thats the way it has always been in our experience whether we lived in southern Virginia or Pennsylvania, so it only has to more so in Florida. We always had ours serviced semi annually and kept routine maintenance up but when they run as much as they do its just a matter of time.... plus they are get so much more efficient that it only makes sense to replace.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:32 PM

I have heard of several neighbors with a/c failure. They were all Tranes.....
Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Carriers in Hadley.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.