"AirBnB Owners Are About To Be Forced Property Sellers"

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2023, 05:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Do your homework. AirBnB's market share is around 20%.

Anyone who thinks there's only 306 STR's in The Villages, is dreaming.
The search I did says there are over 1000 and that is just airbnb. There are also other listing sites.

search results
Old 06-30-2023, 06:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,227 Times in 803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
The search I did says there are over 1000 and that is just airbnb. There are also other listing sites.

search results

Considering that AirBnB has about 20%-25% of the overall market, that would suggest there are 4000+ STR's in The Villages.

I suspect there are close to 7500, (+/- 10% of the total units) but that's just an educated guess.
Old 06-30-2023, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Considering that AirBnB has about 20%-25% of the overall arket, that would suggest there are 4000+ STR's in The Villages.

I suspect there are close to 7500, (+/- 10% of the total units) but that's just an educated guess.
I believe your estimates are very conservative.
The site below for renters has 4.6K members at 3 rooms/homes each that gets you 12K alone. I suspect there are 10 different non AirBnb sites for the Villages that provides a portal for short term rentals like Airbnb.

Last edited by HandyGrandpap; 07-02-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-30-2023, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,714 Times in 3,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydaz View Post
I agree. Too many new homes are being sold and turned into short term rentals. Just check short term rentals in The Villages. Many homes can be rented for $95 to $200 per night. Some neighborhoods down south of 44 appear to have a large number of these rentals.
The Villages not only condones rentals, but they own The Villages Property Management, and rent out properties on behalf of property owners all over the community. Summer prices run between $600 and $1000 per week, considerably less than $200 per night. Comes with the morning paper too.
Old 07-01-2023, 08:17 AM

The Villages is a retirement resort with many thousands of second homes. Most who purchased homes in the last three years paid a large premium, increases in insurance, maintenance costs and amenity fees are requiring a higher rent to make ends meet. Longer term is a lower per day and is pricing out of the market and struggles to meet the cost increases. Yes, the shorter term is harder on property and neighborhoods but if you are just trying to hang on to your investment this is why short terms are increasing rapidly. If this short-term philosophy does not work, then these homes will be sold most likely at a loss. IMHO
Old 07-01-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The Villages not only condones rentals, but they own The Villages Property Management, and rent out properties on behalf of property owners all over the community. Summer prices run between $600 and $1000 per week, considerably less than $200 per night. Comes with the morning paper too.
TVPM only does monthly rentals and I'm pretty sure there are age requirements. There is a big difference between monthly rentals and weekend rentals; they attract a different clientele.
Old 07-01-2023, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,548 Times in 2,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
TVPM only does monthly rentals and I'm pretty sure there are age requirements. There is a big difference between monthly rentals and weekend rentals; they attract a different clientele.
Their website returns 172 properties for a weekly rental from 9/1 to 9/8 and 175 for the weekend 9/1 to 9/4. The website also shows a weekly rate. There is no mention of an age requirement though maybe that comes up when filling out the paperwork.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-02-2023, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGibson View Post
It may be a demographic thing as folks don't want to live in lawless communities anymore.
They're all moving to States that have some law and order.
Florida ranks 25th, including the District of Columbia, for crime. I don’t think people move to Florida because of “some law and order”, just saying. I’m thinking that it is because of the weather & that FL is one of 7 or so states with no state income tax.

But we need to dispense with the ABNB’s here pronto.
Old 07-02-2023, 06:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
Florida ranks 25th, including the District of Columbia, for crime. I don’t think people move to Florida because of “some law and order”, just saying. I’m thinking that it is because of the weather & that FL is one of 7 or so states with no state income tax.

But we need to dispense with the ABNB’s here pronto.
C'mon do you realize how big Florida is and how cities like Miami, Jacksonville, Tampa and Orlando bring the crime numbers up relative to counties like Sumter and Lake.

The OP specifically said The Villages which is one of the lowest crime areas in the country.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:00 AM
Default Not speculative

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
“Not in my back yard”. In The Villages, AirBnB is not a particular issue to many residents unless a daily or weekly rental is next door or in your backyard. Apparently there are no restrictions that prohibit this type of rental arrangement in The Villages. However, the exact number of available rentals on a daily/weekly basis is speculative at best.
Just learn how to look !! AllTheRooms: Historical Intelligence
Old 07-02-2023, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,314 Times in 2,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
The Villages is a retirement resort with many thousands of second homes. Most who purchased homes in the last three years paid a large premium, increases in insurance, maintenance costs and amenity fees are requiring a higher rent to make ends meet. Longer term is a lower per day and is pricing out of the market and struggles to meet the cost increases. Yes, the shorter term is harder on property and neighborhoods but if you are just trying to hang on to your investment this is why short terms are increasing rapidly. If this short-term philosophy does not work, then these homes will be sold most likely at a loss. IMHO
My interpretation of what you’re saying is that many recent homebuyers overextended themselves financially and have turned to being bad neighbors to try to bail themselves out for their poor decisions. It’s sad that the hope is that so many homebuyers made the same poor decision the market will eventually flush out the bad neighbors and the rest of us can enjoy the 55+ retirement community we thought we were buying into. Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to simply prevent the short term rentals in the first place?
Old 07-02-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
My interpretation of what you’re saying is that many recent homebuyers overextended themselves financially and have turned to being bad neighbors to try to bail themselves out for their poor decisions. It’s sad that the hope is that so many homebuyers made the same poor decision the market will eventually flush out the bad neighbors and the rest of us can enjoy the 55+ retirement community we thought we were buying into. Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to simply prevent the short term rentals in the first place?
Very well said. I agree 100%
Old 07-02-2023, 09:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
I think this has less to do with second home buyers and more to do with the proliferation of investors looking to make money
Old 07-02-2023, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,944 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to simply prevent the short term rentals in the first place?
Yes, but there are several reasons why investors have been looking at retirement locations:

Amenities
untapped locations / limited competition previously
Location relative to Orlando / amusements
Availability/price versus beach locations
Declining bookings / revenue at metropolitan areas
people are traveling / vacationing again. . .

LI communities imposed minimum stay requirements of 30 percent and if less, then imposed the state hotel tax, and those are enforceable, as tax evasion is a felony

But the CDD structure and other govt structures make that local statute unlikely to get passed, especially with the developer's rental company being taxed as well.

So the Villas are the prime target as the cheapest to buy to get a return. . .
friends just bought a gardenia with pool and outdoor kitchen this week, owners moved into assisted living, they have been looking since 2019 and finally got to a situation where they can buy it, and found something very appealing. . . in the northern section near spanish springs where there are very few ABnb's as the prices are difficult to make a profit. .

BTW, I have picked out an alternative to TV to which to move, if the area becomes unappealing, with 3 18 hole courses, 10 minutes to the beach, 30 minutes to many different courses. . . cheaper house prices. .

But i don't want to move, I want to make ABnbs unappealing and unprofitable
Old 07-04-2023, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

My CYV block is about 75% Airbnb.

It would be nice to file a class action lawsuit against the developer for not enforcing the not using your house as a business rule.

Especially when almost all of these houses are owned by folks who own other homes in TV.

The developer and TV sales are misleading folks that this is a retirement community. Because in reality It's slowly but surely becoming some type of vacation resort.

The only thing that is going to put this AirBNB pandemic to a rest is a court of law or else those who live in any type of villa may want to start looking for alternative retirement communities that don't turn homes into a bunch of time shares.
Closed Thread

Tags
airbnb, owners, interesting, trend, investors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.