Aldi plans to open 800 new locations in the next five years

Old 03-09-2024, 08:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,324 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
From what I understand, the Winn-Dixie on 470 is going to become an Aldi's. While I am a big fan of Aldi's, that Winn-Dixie is great for those of us who don't want to spend a fortune on groceries at Publix.
Where did you get your understanding from?

I hope you are correct!
Old 03-10-2024, 04:17 AM
Platinum member

Survey finds Aldi cheapest grocery store in country!

Lidl second and Trader Joe’s third.

America's most affordable grocery stores in 2024, ranked
Old 03-10-2024, 07:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Survey finds Aldi cheapest grocery store in country!

Lidl second and Trader Joe’s third.

America's most affordable grocery stores in 2024, ranked
Whole Paycheck.....err Foods is on this list?! Am I reading this correctly?
Old 03-10-2024, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Whole Paycheck.....err Foods is on this list?! Am I reading this correctly?
Probably has more to do with choosing well-known chains than finding low-cost chains. The Aldi's price was $43, Publix was $70, and Sam's was $106. Publix isn't low cost but is certainly well known. Sam's, with bulk sizes, isn't really a good comparison - while price per pound is probably less than at other stores, I don't need that much peanut butter.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-10-2024, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Probably has more to do with choosing well-known chains than finding low-cost chains. The Aldi's price was $43, Publix was $70, and Sam's was $106. Publix isn't low cost but is certainly well known. Sam's, with bulk sizes, isn't really a good comparison - while price per pound is probably less than at other stores, I don't need that much peanut butter.
Agree
I do like, at least in my experiences, that Aldis, TJ prices are consistent with other locations. Can’t say that with some of these other grocers.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN View Post
Really! Give me some examples of recalls at Aldi s. Since we live more than an hour away from any TraderJoes, I don’t think many people shop there regularly.I think you will see just as many or more recalls from Publix, Winn Dixie, and Walmarts.
Shop TJ’s twice a month, according to manager in Gainesville, they get a good percentage of TV residents. Which request, and sometimes pleading please come near us.

My grocery list has price comparison when I add an item, for Kroger, WF, Sprout's, Fresh Market, WD, TJ’s and Aldi.

Rarely does Aldi or Whole Foods come up as a better prices, sometimes equal but rarely less.

I only buy two things at Publix thin slice Italian bread and Boars Head Turkey. So not on my app, but for us no one has whole grain bread or scones as good as TJ’s.

For us it’s close to an hour to northern TV,depending on time of day, and Gainesville on I-75 is 53 minutes and Clermont Costco on turnpike is 36 minutes. However takes 10 minutes to find a spot to park at Costco
Old 03-10-2024, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

For us it’s close to an hour to northern TV,depending on time of day, and Gainesville on I-75 is 53 minutes and Clermont Costco on turnpike is 36 minutes. However takes 10 minutes to find a spot to park at Costco
This is confusing. It takes you close to an hour to get to northern TV but less than an hour to drive to Gainesville which is 50 miles farther away than northern TV? Or, are you saying it takes you close to an hour to get to northern TV and then another 53 minutes up to Gainesville?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-10-2024, 12:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
My grocery list has price comparison when I add an item, for Kroger, WF, Sprout's, Fresh Market, WD, TJ’s and Aldi.
Rarely does Aldi or Whole Foods come up as a better prices, sometimes equal but rarely less.
Please give examples of what types of items you are buying where Aldi does not have lower prices than Kroger, Sprouts, Fresh Market, or WinnDixie.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,590 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
This is confusing. It takes you close to an hour to get to northern TV but less than an hour to drive to Gainesville which is 50 miles farther away than northern TV? Or, are you saying it takes you close to an hour to get to northern TV and then another 53 minutes up to Gainesville?
I get what A3 is saying mid day traffic heading north is unbelievable. lawn services people driving right lane at 21mph and don't forget stop at every roundabout just in case. We live south of 44 and traffic on Morse to TV hospital took 69 minutes last Wednesday then 14 minutes to finds a parking spot. I can cut that time in half if I go at 6am, but nobody wants to set appointments for that time.

I go to Malcolm Randall twice a month, 2 miles to 301 to turnpike to 75. At MR in 53 minutes still 15 minutes to find a parking spot. If I keep up with traffic its less but sometimes 80 can be little interesting. Then again just one accident you can sit in I75 free parking lot for an hour.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:10 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I get what A3 is saying mid day traffic heading north is unbelievable. lawn services people driving right lane at 21mph and don't forget stop at every roundabout just in case. We live south of 44 and traffic on Morse to TV hospital took 69 minutes last Wednesday then 14 minutes to finds a parking spot. I can cut that time in half if I go at 6am, but nobody wants to set appointments for that time.

I go to Malcolm Randall twice a month, 2 miles to 301 to turnpike to 75. At MR in 53 minutes still 15 minutes to find a parking spot. If I keep up with traffic its less but sometimes 80 can be little interesting. Then again just one accident you can sit in I75 free parking lot for an hour.
That is how I understood it too, local roads to the northern Villages, but Interstate Highway (for the most part) to TJ's.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Please give examples of what types of items you are buying where Aldi does not have lower prices than Kroger, Sprouts, Fresh Market, or WinnDixie.
Normal everyday food, that I grew up with. Our beef, chicken is raised on family farm, so rarely do we buy at any grocery. Although some aldi meat prices are in the same range at other grocery on sale. Salmon is shipped from Alaska as a gift during season.Grown herbs, container veggies, except for tomatoes that are a fail here. So we can at the farm

Non pasteurize milk
Brown eggs
almond flour
artisan lettuce.
Staples made without nitrates and phosphate.
No additives or preservatives.
Kosher.

So normal groceries that Aldi, WD, and Publix either doesn’t have or prices are outrageous

Last edited by asianthree; 03-10-2024 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
It's a tossup between Aldi & Trader Joe's in which company has the most food items recalled. Low prices and a free dose of salmonella; what a deal! No thanks!
We have been shopping there for years and purchase everything but steak there. Never ever have we gotten sick… in fact their food appears to be fresher than your beloved Publix the most expensive grocery I have ever shopped at.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:48 PM

Aldi is terrible. It's like an outlet store. Hit or miss on what you need, odd brands and not but a few cents savings on each item.
Cannot do a full shop there. So people run around spending more time and money..
Old 03-11-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdecastro View Post
From what I understand, the Winn-Dixie on 470 is going to become an Aldi's. While I am a big fan of Aldi's, that Winn-Dixie is great for those of us who don't want to spend a fortune on groceries at Publix.
Jim, you and I have different experiences at the WD on 470, I live pretty close to that one and after visiting in a few times I think I am shell shocked by the prices there. I guess I mostly shop at wally world and when I went to the real world I just about fainted. goodness.

I have tried on a few occasions over the years to shop at ALDI but I've never had much luck finding what I wanted there. I may need to try again with the weird times the world is going through right now.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebMil View Post
Aldi is terrible. It's like an outlet store. Hit or miss on what you need, odd brands and not but a few cents savings on each item.
Cannot do a full shop there. So people run around spending more time and money..
Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinions. Mine is I love Aldis, I find great items there & good prices.

Tags
aldi, section, hope, years, plans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.