Aldi: Price Differences

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2021, 07:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Aldi is in our rotation of Walmart, Costco, Winn Dixie, and Publix. They all have certain strengths depending on what you're looking for. I've haven't found Aldi to be disorganized and a mess in a long time. That was the old Aldi when they first started in the US. They have gotten a lot better
Old 03-27-2021, 08:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

How much gas did you burn in order to visit these two stores to determine this?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Sadly, now that we are retired food shopping has become a sport. If, I was a retailer I think I would charge seniors extra. A friend had a restaurant with a senior clientele. I asked how many salt shakers are stolen. Reply was how did you know?

We are about to do our shopping. Aldis, Winn Dixie, then Publix. At each we always end up buying more than we intended. Due to where we live all three are close by. Winn Dixie and Publix are both golf cart trips and both about the same distance-three miles.

Groceries is an interesting business. Management knows
if they get you in most people will buy more than what they intended to. They know that people think the large size is a better buy. Few bother to do the math. Often two of the smaller size can be the same amount of product at a lower cost per oz, per pound or........

Walmart the huge retailer. It is interesting that the most profitable store section is groceries. The suppliers pay fees for shelf space. All know people, most people will notice, buy what is in the middle of the shelves. The end caps they pay extra for that too.

Winn Dixie-the small carts. I find that interesting. Shopping carts used to be that size.
The stores discovered that you/we would buy more if, we had a bigger cart. Surely they are aware of this. A expect they have decided for them they??? -perhaps they can get more shoppers in get them out faster or???????
Old 03-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobullymom View Post
Their prices are based specifically on their location and do vary. I have asked that question directly to a store manager more than once, in different states. I believe they want their prices low, but also have to be fiscally competitive.

Oh....I bet YOU have asked the store manager more than once.🤣🤣🤣🤣
Old 03-27-2021, 08:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

Aldi's prices also vary from state to state, they are more expensive in Florida than our Aldi's up north.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:10 AM

The leesburg aldi 8s also different than both
Old 03-27-2021, 09:15 AM

I shop at several Aldi's in Ohio. They are all lower priced that any of the Aldi's I have been in around The Villages. Since we are not yet retired, we are back and forth. I have noticed this pricing difference several times. Interestingly, tortilla chips-same brand and size- are consistently a dollar more at TV than they are around here.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
I love ALDI for the basics and their ALDI Finds. You can save quite a bit of $$ here.
However, you should know that prices can vary from ALDI to ALDI. For example: 1 Gallon of Milk $2.99 at the new ALDI on 301, $2.69 at the ALDI on Seven Mile Drive (near Lowes). Another example is Eggs: $1.61 at 301, $0.77 at Seven Mile Drive.
These prices are consistently different between the 2 stores.
Just a public service announcement.
I believe your example is true for many grocery stores, not just Aldi.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:18 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

I love Trader Joe but have not found one in The Villages.

Where is the Trader Joe in TV?
Old 03-27-2021, 10:29 AM
Veteran member

another non factual political statement ...
Old 03-27-2021, 10:30 AM

The first aldi i entered or seen was in Munich. It was huge.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG999 View Post

Gainesville for us is the closest TJ’s, but we drive to Gainesville twice a month. Orlando is close also. None in TV. They are privately owned, and almost always choose a shopping plaza. From our up north home we have 5 TJ’s within 30 minutes or less. All are in affluent areas, and stay busy all the time. This time of the year kosher is big business for them.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

All stores play retail games Publics and Winn Dixie are masters at buy one at exorbitant price get second free in the long run you still over paid
Old 03-27-2021, 11:01 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
I love ALDI for the basics and their ALDI Finds. You can save quite a bit of $$ here.

However, you should know that prices can vary from ALDI to ALDI. For example: 1 Gallon of Milk $2.99 at the new ALDI on 301, $2.69 at the ALDI on Seven Mile Drive (near Lowes). Another example is Eggs: $1.61 at 301, $0.77 at Seven Mile Drive.
These prices are consistently different between the 2 stores.
Just a public service announcement.
My take on this; 30 years ago I definitely did not care for Aldi's at all (we have family in the "north" who have had an Aldi's for years). When the Villages got their third Aldi's, I decided to give it a try. My thoughts, anything that has been around as long as they have must have something to offer !? While the basic floor plan seems not to have changed in 30-40 years, I have to admit the quality and variety have really changed. Can't believe their expansion lately, but keeping most of the European chocolate offerings, almond paste, etc.

I have been buying almost all my fresh produce there lately. We now have a location right by us and last week I bought avocados for $.38 and they were VERY high quality, limes were half the price I'd been paying at Publix and Walmart, bought pineapple, carrots with green tops (not the plastic bag types), etc. Now, we use a LOT of fresh fruit and veggies so this would make little difference to some, but I added up (from actual receipts) what I had paid in the last 3 weeks and my Aldi's purchases came to $9.37 LESS. Now this would make little difference for those who don't purchase a lot of fresh items, but since we now have an Aldi's close to us so it does not mean a lot of extra fuel and time, for a savings of about $40 to $50 a month (for our particular buying pattern) is significant. Bought a spiral cut ham there, the price was so low comparatively, I was hesitant. Can't tell you yet how that will turn out but friends who have bought them for many many years at Aldi's in Illinois tell me they are best ever and one half the price ? Seems too good to be true, we'll see this weekend !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 03-27-2021 at 11:04 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-27-2021, 11:15 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts
Default Really missed T.J.'s when moved to Fl long ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG999 View Post

Sadly that's been a recurring request for at least 17 years here, maybe more. Since there are items from T.J.s that are must haves for us (and a few things like organic beans, split peas, and other grains from Whole Foods) we make a trip to the Winter Park area a few times a year (not monthly). We don't mind since we can make it a Costco, T.J., and W.F. "run"; have lunch or brunch at a fav location like Another Broken Egg and others, so it's a "grocery vaca" for us 4-6 times a year and closer than actually going to Orlando.
Closed Thread

Tags
aldi, mile, drive, prices, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.