"All Things Considered" will do a story on The Villages, today, March 31

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2010, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Have you read the comments? All but one very negative about The Villages - fixated on the Stepford Wives syndrome. We should respond!
JoJo

I can't get the "comments" to open. My computer is acting up.

I am saying that if the comments are from seniors, then they are jealous they don't live here.
And if the comments are from kids, then they are jealous they don't live here too, ditto those in between.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:36 AM
Gold member

NPR stated that one person in the home has to be 55 or older at time of purchase. Not correct.

Because of federal regulations to prevent age discrimination in communities where federal loans (FHA, VA) are often provided for mortgages, up to 20% of the housing units must be kept available for people under 55, even though it can be billed as an "over 55 age community. Thus age discrimination is avoided at the high end. Thus, age 55 communities can require that no person under the age of 19 live in that community.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Gold member

Clearly over 55 communities are not for everyone. We have several friends our age that are just not interested for a variety of reasons. For those that like them, they are great. Much like everything else I guess.

One of our friends who just retired mentioned above, recently stayed in a nice home in a Robson (Saddlebrook?) community in AZ, and after actually experiencing the lifestyle, their attitudes are changing and they are now interested.

With age comes wisdom!
Old 04-01-2010, 08:41 AM

I also thought it was an even-handed and informative. I was glad that they did not play the "STD capital of the world" junk.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKat1 View Post
Clearly over 55 communities are not for everyone. We have several friends our age that are just not interested for a variety of reasons. For those that like them, they are great. Much like everything else I guess.

One of our friends who just retired mentioned above, recently stayed in a nice home in a Robson (Saddlebrook?) community in AZ, and after actually experiencing the lifestyle, their attitudes are changing and they are now interested.

With age comes wisdom!
Aw BobKat,

Those are kind words. But I just gotta tellya, for this ol' boomer, I think it has been a matter of just figuring out that it's time to cut to the chase.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 04-01-2010 at 09:18 AM. Reason: meant to put sunglasses on the emoticon, but I guess it can't be changed on edit (sigh)
Old 07-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

Everytime I listen I learn something new.

Army Guy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.