Driver License for Cart?

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2015, 07:19 AM
Eternal Member
Default Driver License for Cart?

I saw in The Daily Sun today that a "Villager" was arrested for driving his golf cart. He was stopped by police for going through a stop sign and upon investigation, it was found his license had been revoked in 2006.

I know 14 year olds can legally drive a cart. No permit or license required.

Does anyone know the law that says you cannot drive a cart with a suspended or revoked license? Does a person have to have a valid license to drive a golf cart on the streets?

I am just wondering for curiousity. I do have a valid license!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:29 AM
Platinum member
Default Location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I saw in The Daily Sun today that a "Villager" was arrested for driving his golf cart. He was stopped by police for going through a stop sign and upon investigation, it was found his license had been revoked in 2006.

I know 14 year olds can legally drive a cart. No permit or license required.

Does anyone know the law that says you cannot drive a cart with a suspended or revoked license? Does a person have to have a valid license to drive a golf cart on the streets?

I am just wondering for curiousity. I do have a valid license!
That is a good question. Was he on a tv street at the time? Maybe there is more to the license being revoked than the article said. Very curious about this.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:31 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to Lady L_Commissioner_Ward4

Yes, one can get a ticket for driving a Cart without a Valid Drivers license on Public roads, its the law in Florida. So few know this, especially snow birds and grandchildren, criminals too :-)
Old 08-01-2015, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

I believe it will depend on the cart. Was he driving a true golf cart or a low speed vehicle. Driving a low speed vehicle on a public road without a drivers license is just the same as driving a car without a drivers license. Driving a low speed vehicle on a public road with out having plates is the same as driving a car with out plates. running a stop sign or driving under the influence on a public road is a ticketing offense in either vehicle. You just need to look up the Florida Traffic laws on Golf Cart usage.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady L_Commissioner_Ward4 View Post
Yes, one can get a ticket for driving a Cart without a Valid Drivers license on Public roads, its the law in Florida. So few know this, especially snow birds and grandchildren, criminals too :-)

Would you please list the specific FL code statutes (sources) for your statement. My research does not support that. I must be missing something.

Thanks for your help,
Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 08-01-2015, 09:07 AM
Sage

I expect there is a difference between driving a cart without a license, such as a 14 y/o, and driving a cart with a suspended or revoked license. To me, a suspended or revoked license removes the privilege to operate any motor vehicle on FL roads. Since a golf cart is considered a motor vehicle, driving one with a suspended or revoked license would be a violation.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:58 AM
Gold member

Chapter 316.2126 of the Florida Statutes says:
“Golf cart” means a motor vehicle as defined in s. 320.01(22)

And section 322.34 says:
(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), any person whose driver license or driving privilege has been canceled, suspended, or revoked, except a “habitual traffic offender” as defined in s. 322.264, who drives a vehicle upon the highways of this state while such license or privilege is canceled, suspended, or revoked is guilty of a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Darwin Award! Driving illegally don't have the sense to abid by traffic laws, such as stopping at stop signs. Maybe that's why driving privileges was revoked? To dumb to drive
Old 08-01-2015, 10:39 AM
Sage

So if a golf cart is a motor vehicle. The new child restraint law refers to the term "motor vehicle" how come real small children who are in golf cart don't need seat belts or child seats? Parents tell children to buckle up in car with real safety safety systems, but have zero problems letting them be in a golf cart without any safety features.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
So if a golf cart is a motor vehicle. The new child restraint law refers to the term "motor vehicle" how come real small children who are in golf cart don't need seat belts or child seats? Parents tell children to buckle up in car with real safety safety systems, but have zero problems letting them be in a golf cart without any safety features.
I passed a guy going the opposite direction on the MMP. He was driving a golf cart, holding/cradling a BABY in his left arm!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Sage

Darwin was right & he's being proven right, every day- 20 lbs @ 20mph weighs over 400lbs- try and control 400lbs with one arm--yeah-right
Closed Thread

Tags
license, cart, drive, golf, revoked, valid, wondering, required, permit, legally, curiousity, person, streets, suspended, law, stopped, police, driving, arrested, daily, sun, today, villager, stop, driver

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.