Alternate Water Filtration systems due to problem

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2020, 06:18 AM
Default Alternate Water Filtration systems due to problem

We had Nova Filtration system installed over a year ago and loved it. Then we had the filters changed a month early (July), but noticed a "dusty" taste to the water. Initially, I thought it would go away as water filtered through; however, it hasn't. Then I noticed calcium/lime deposits on our shower head. So I called and had a lot of "reasons" including all of the building going on in McClure (built out about a year ago) causing the problem, as the filters don't filter our minerals. Nova's solution was to add a fourth charcoal filter at no cost to us; however, when it's time to change filters again, it will be four filters. While I appreciate Nova's addition of the filter, I would like to explore other options including purchasing our own filters (suspect they substituted generic filters for the original) and having someone install them. Ideas?
Old 10-20-2020, 07:33 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

If the system needs three filters.............now needs a fourth, speaks volumes (no pun intended)
Old 10-20-2020, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Changing the Nova filters is pretty simple. I alternate between having Nova swop out the filters (and checking out the unit) and doing it myself....I ask Nova to bring an extra set of filters when they come...I haven't researched buying the filters from another source
Old 10-20-2020, 10:12 AM
Talking Nova filters

Could I ask, who do I call for Nova filtering system? We have been here 2 weeks & have no info on existing Nova filtering system. Just to be prepare would love a local number. Have never had a filtering system before, thanks.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfree1411@aol.com View Post
Could I ask, who do I call for Nova filtering system?

Wouldn't go Nova.

Water Softener & Water Filter Systems | Pelican Water
Old 10-20-2020, 11:19 AM

A search of TOTV for Nova will give you phone#.

I had Nova system for over 5 years at single family house and had Nova installed when we bought our villa 1 year ago. I have always changed my own filters after the initial Nova install. I highly recommend NOVA. I also use the filter in my refrigerator, but I think it is probably overkill. Once the filters are installed or replaced you need to run several gallons of water through the system prior to drinking. Ok for anything else.

3 filters for Nova Water Filtration System on Amazon.com:

1st Stage : Sediment Filter (5Micron), 2nd Stage GAC Block (Granular Activated Carbon), 3rd Stage Carbon Block (5Micron):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Currently $79.50 for all 3 (a package deal).

Tool to remove canister:

https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-Plasti...TE0WWASQKMA50R

O rings for canisters:

https://www.amazon.com/Captain-Ring-...TE0WWASQKMA50R

Silcon Grease:

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Si...VYZ7PN1VVX9KYS
Old 10-20-2020, 11:24 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
You are definitely in the minority, there have been very, very few complaints about the Nova system and their price is hard to beat. We had both the filters and the softener installed by Nova and have no complaints after 3+ years.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:13 PM

I agree! We've been very happy with Nova until the filter change in July. Kept thinking it was us until I saw the accumulation of lime/calcium. Not the only one south of 44 who is having this issue. Perhaps their supplier changed something in the filters>
Old 10-20-2020, 12:58 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
I agree! We've been very happy with Nova until the filter change in July. Kept thinking it was us until I saw the accumulation of lime/calcium. Not the only one south of 44 who is having this issue. Perhaps their supplier changed something in the filters>
Do you have the softener system? If not you might need it. We live in Fenney and have no problems however we did have the buildup prior to having the system installed.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSSunshine View Post
We had Nova Filtration system installed over a year ago and loved it. Then we had the filters changed a month early (July), but noticed a "dusty" taste to the water. Initially, I thought it would go away as water filtered through; however, it hasn't. Then I noticed calcium/lime deposits on our shower head. So I called and had a lot of "reasons" including all of the building going on in McClure (built out about a year ago) causing the problem, as the filters don't filter our minerals. Nova's solution was to add a fourth charcoal filter at no cost to us; however, when it's time to change filters again, it will be four filters. While I appreciate Nova's addition of the filter, I would like to explore other options including purchasing our own filters (suspect they substituted generic filters for the original) and having someone install them.
To clarify we don't add a 4th filter, we will change one cartridge for you at no cost.
That should resolve your issue.

Also they are not generic, there is no change in our supplier, same for 20 years made to our specs.

Please call to schedule a work order

Last edited by jimbo2012; 10-20-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
You are definitely in the minority,

Yep, never have followed a crowd very well.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

No matter how flat the pancake is ...there's always two sides to it

I received a PM, ....it seems like there's a possibility that the OP may have replaced the original filters with something that wasn't quite equal to what they should have been using that they bought on Amazon at a really low price

Nova is a good system...and they support their installs
Old 10-20-2020, 08:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Smiley View Post
A search of TOTV for Nova will give you phone#.

I had Nova system for over 5 years at single family house and had Nova installed when we bought our villa 1 year ago. I have always changed my own filters after the initial Nova install. I highly recommend NOVA. I also use the filter in my refrigerator, but I think it is probably overkill. Once the filters are installed or replaced you need to run several gallons of water through the system prior to drinking. Ok for anything else.

3 filters for Nova Water Filtration System on Amazon.com:

1st Stage : Sediment Filter (5Micron), 2nd Stage GAC Block (Granular Activated Carbon), 3rd Stage Carbon Block (5Micron):

Amazon.com

Currently $79.50 for all 3 (a package deal).

Tool to remove canister:

Amazon.com

O rings for canisters:

Amazon.com

Silcon Grease:

Amazon.com

You have (or are using) different filters than I was provided with by Nova. I even saved the labels that were on them when I got them dropped off.

The filters I got directly from Nova were Valutrex VX There were 2 sediment filters (1of 10micron and 1 of 25 micron) and one Hydronix 5 micron carbon block filter. I'd be curious to know if they provided ones similar to what you are listing or you selected to use different types.

I have bought them on my own over the last couple years mainly for the convenience of not having to try to get a hold of them. Pricing for the 3 wasn't much less than they were charging but I am always able to come up with coupons of some sort.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:29 PM
Default Nova Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
You have (or are using) different filters than I was provided with by Nova. I even saved the labels that were on them when I got them dropped off.

The filters I got directly from Nova were Valutrex VX There were 2 sediment filters (1of 10micron and 1 of 25 micron) and one Hydronix 5 micron carbon block filter. I'd be curious to know if they provided ones similar to what you are listing or you selected to use different types.

I have bought them on my own over the last couple years mainly for the convenience of not having to try to get a hold of them. Pricing for the 3 wasn't much less than they were charging but I am always able to come up with coupons of some sort.
When Nova first installed my first system, Bob used the 3 following filters (I kept the labels):

1st Stage : Sediment Filter (5Micron), 2nd Stage GAC Block (Granular Activated Carbon), 3rd Stage Carbon Block (5Micron).

I ordered from Amazon and replaced regularly for over 5 years. When we moved to our current villa, I had Nova system installed again this time by Bob's son Brad. Brad did a great job and I noticed he used better pressure gauges and better turn-off valves than what had been installed with my earlier system. But, when I went to change the filters in our villa for the first time I noticed that there were 2 sediment filters and 1 carbon block filter.

I believe the original system (1st Stage : Sediment Filter (5Micron), 2nd Stage GAC Block (Granular Activated Carbon), 3rd Stage Carbon Block (5Micron) did a better job than the new installation. The GAC made a big difference. I don't know why Nova changed the filters, but I think the Granular Activated Carbon filter (#2 in the middle) makes a big difference. The first filter removes sediment. I don't think two sediment filters is needed.

The GAC carbon filter for chloramines and chlorine removal. Without the GAC we noticed a chlorine odor. With the GAC filter we don't smell the chlorine. YMMV

I am a fan of Nova. If we move again, I will have it installed before we move in. Beside, the boss wouldn't drink the water without the Nova system, and I don't want to haul jugs of water.
Old 10-21-2020, 04:31 AM
Sage

Thanks for your support
To clarify, my recollection going back 7 years we didn't use that combo.

Give me a call if you want to discuss this and get you the correct ones.

Also there are no chloramines in this water.

Last edited by jimbo2012; 10-21-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
filters, filter, water, noticed, including

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.