Alternative for internet service???

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Platinum member
Default Alternative for internet service???

Centurylink is haunting me!! After a dismal experience with Prism, mostly service related (or lack thereof), we discontinued Centurylink before our "30 day trial" was over but opted to keep their internet because we did not know of another option without changing everything to Comcast.

Today I get a bill for over $216.00 from Centurylink! My frustration is I cannot get anything via a phone number other than a recording; their online "Chat" is closed and I spent a great deal of time filling out an email to them via their website only to be told that the email was "unsuccessful". I dread returning to their office here as it took me over an hour in line to return the "boxes" when we discontinued service. BTW, we were there over 3 hours to initially sign up for the service.

I'm just absolutely FED UP with it but don't know of another option. It's almost enough to make me give up having internet at all but I can't give up TOTV!!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Sage

We have the Sprint Hotspot that works everywhere there is Sprint Cell Phone service - pretty much everywhere. We are snowbirds and use it in our two locations and in between.

The Sprint store near Home Depot currently is running a special (I believe until 11/12). $79 for the hardware with a 2 year contract that costs $59 a month for the service.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 PM

We decided on Comcast, running a triple bundle special for $99 amonth with no contract. We found the internet too slow and unable to view video so we increased the internet that was $10.00/month more w no contract. So far so good. We will just discontinue the service when we head north in the spring.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

tednrobin - you posted that you would 'discontinue' comcast service...did you know that you can just put the bundle on vacation for about $6/month? that's what our friends do when they fly north in april.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Gold member
Default Verizon

I am going to use my Droid cell phone for phone and internet, Recently while on a Design Team Visit I used my Droid as a wireless hotspot in a Creekside Villa.

It is only 3G nothing like Fios but it suprised me how well it performed. With my new phone and 4G coverage it will be fast enough. I can hook up 5 wireless computer devices

This will allow us internet in TV and anywhere in the country traveling. We will then use Direct TV for HD until Fios if ever gets into the Villages.

I believe many of us moving into TV who have had Road Runner turbo or better yet Fios are or will be in shock with the lousy internet service.

If your phone does not do hotspots then you can get their portable. It is another cell phone charge but bundled may be better that what you are paying now.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:08 AM
Platinum member

Check the limits on data with the hot spots. Most of the providers have done away with unlimited data.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
I am going to use my Droid cell phone for phone and internet, Recently while on a Design Team Visit I used my Droid as a wireless hotspot in a Creekside Villa.

It is only 3G nothing like Fios but it suprised me how well it performed. With my new phone and 4G coverage it will be fast enough. I can hook up 5 wireless computer devices

This will allow us internet in TV and anywhere in the country traveling. We will then use Direct TV for HD until Fios if ever gets into the Villages.

I believe many of us moving into TV who have had Road Runner turbo or better yet Fios are or will be in shock with the lousy internet service.

If your phone does not do hotspots then you can get their portable. It is another cell phone charge but bundled may be better that what you are paying now.
Sounds good. I have an IPhone 4 but that would leave my husband with no internet when I'm not around, wouldn't it?
Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Gold member
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh 08 View Post
Check the limits on data with the hot spots. Most of the providers have done away with unlimited data.
Thanks, Maybe why I get away with it grandfathered on 3G but the new phone might take a hit.

Maybe we should all be like the movie " Wild Hogs! " where they all throw their cell phones away.

I sure have thought about it!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Gold member
Default Opps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyquat View Post
Sounds good. I have an IPhone 4 but that would leave my husband with no internet when I'm not around, wouldn't it?
Yep Reality check.!

Maybe why our friends use the Verizon portable hotspot and still have their cells.

I wish I had enough guts to go a year with no net and no cell bills!

Has anyone pulled this off in TV!
Old 11-10-2011, 09:09 AM

I use a Verizon cell, so I thought the Galaxy Tab would be the way to go for $30 a month and $199 for the tab. (half off the $399 price if a Verizon customer)

What a mistake that was. First it was slower that dial up. I was pulling my hair out waiting for web pages to download. Second problem was there is a 2 gig limit each month, and then a $10 a gig after that.

The sales people tell you 2 gigs is like 7,000 emails which I thought was alot. After ten days of surfing the net I used over one gig.

Well, I took the Galaxy back to Verizon before the 14 limit to opt out of the plan.
There was no early termination fee, but a $75 restocking fee because it was used.

I was nice to put the tab in the car and surf the net while waiting for the better half to shop, and the GPS was cool, but the speed was killing me.

BTW, I live in Poinciana with good cell coverage. Went to Century Link for internet only for $44.95, no limits, and 3 MPS which is fine. 10 meg is $5 more if you need it.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Sage

We use Comcast High Speed. Have never had any trouble in 3 years. It's about $59 per month. I didn't like their cable service and switched to Direct TV, but the high speed internet has been great with never an outage.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Platinum member

Personally I feel like $50 and $60 a month just for internet is too much, but what do I know?
Old 11-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Personally I feel like $50 and $60 a month just for internet is too much, but what do I know?
We won't have cable TV or dish as we feel the value for the dollar is not there, but we happily spend $60/month for high speed internet. We use it for news, business, communication, information, socialization, and entertainment.

Just my 2 cents...

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 11-10-2011, 08:53 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
What is your alternative for hi-speed internet?

I have always been happy with my Comcast service.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
We won't have cable TV or dish as we feel the value for the dollar is not there, but we happily spend $60/month for high speed internet. We use it for news, business, communication, information, socialization, and entertainment.

Just my 2 cents...
I'm with you on the TV Dirigo but don't the the hubby would be able to do without his baseball games and westerns!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.