Alternative OTA Internet plans for homeowners

Old 04-25-2024, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,919 Times in 921 Posts
Default Alternative OTA Internet plans for homeowners

T-Mobile uses the Verizon cell network I believe, not absolutely 100% certain, and the move from wired internet to OTA internet connectivity is starting to heat up with competitive products and service offerings. Have been researching for working on the road in an RV.

T-Mobile Rolls Out Two New Internet Plans to Give Customers Enhanced Options for Home and On the Go - T-Mobile Newsroom

If you have max bars cell reception, this might be a good option. If you have minimal bars, then a cell booster with antenna might be another great alternative to wired internet cost. . .

YMMV

former IT tech guy
Old 04-25-2024, 07:52 AM
Sage

T-Mobile and Verizon have their own cellular networks, as does AT&T. There are several MVNOs that use these three networks. For home internet, if you have access to a reliable and inexpensive fiber or cable vendor, I'm not sure why you would go that route. For example, my fiber optic service is $30 per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
T-Mobile uses the Verizon cell network I believe, not absolutely 100% certain, and the move from wired internet to OTA internet connectivity is starting to heat up with competitive products and service offerings. Have been researching for working on the road in an RV.

T-Mobile Rolls Out Two New Internet Plans to Give Customers Enhanced Options for Home and On the Go - T-Mobile Newsroom

If you have max bars cell reception, this might be a good option. If you have minimal bars, then a cell booster with antenna might be another great alternative to wired internet cost. . .

YMMV

former IT tech guy

Last edited by biker1; 04-25-2024 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,763 Times in 5,266 Posts

My cell phone uses the Verizon network, and I get good phone cellular reception in my house. But, I have found that, when I try to send a photo attachment using texting, the attachment will sometimes be too large to send. But, if I switch to "wifi calling", the photo attachment transmits easily. So, apparently, the wired internet service provides a better signal than the cellular service. I have the Xfinity Mobile internet and cell service.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My cell phone uses the Verizon network, and I get good phone cellular reception in my house. But, I have found that, when I try to send a photo attachment using texting, the attachment will sometimes be too large to send. But, if I switch to "wifi calling", the photo attachment transmits easily. So, apparently, the wired internet service provides a better signal than the cellular service. I have the Xfinity Mobile internet and cell service.
wireless internet has several different channels and speeds within the channels. . the best wireless internet channels are not the ones accessed by your cell phone. Wireless internet and cellular phone service has different bands by service company.
Old 04-25-2024, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
wireless internet has several different channels and speeds within the channels. . the best wireless internet channels are not the ones accessed by your cell phone. Wireless internet and cellular phone service has different bands by service company.
AFAIK, 5G internet and 5G cell service use the same frequencies and same towers. Essentially, my TMobile 5G internet box is a large hotspot. I get similar download speeds over 5G and WiFi when in my house.

Xfinity cell and WiFi calling would be different. Cell service would need to hit a tower. Wi-Fi calling would go to the Xfinity router in the home and then over cable to the internet. In this case, with a high speed cable connection to the internet, WiFi downloads and uploads could be much faster than cellular.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-25-2024, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,800 Times in 1,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
AFAIK, 5G internet and 5G cell service use the same frequencies and same towers. Essentially, my TMobile 5G internet box is a large hotspot. I get similar download speeds over 5G and WiFi when in my house.

When I tried TMobile Internet when it first came out, it connected to a tower on the Turnpike. Only worked in the one spot where we had line of sight to the tower.

The data rate would would drop dramatically during heavy traffic on the Turnpike.

They've added a lot of capacity to that tower since, may be worth trying again.

Does the Tmobile box have an input for an antenna?
Old 04-25-2024, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Xfinity cell and WiFi calling would be different. Cell service would need to hit a tower. Wi-Fi calling would go to the Xfinity router in the home and then over cable to the internet. In this case, with a high speed cable connection to the internet, WiFi downloads and uploads could be much faster than cellular.

According to T-Mobile support, cell data is prioritized over 5G internet data
Old 04-25-2024, 01:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
AFAIK, 5G internet and 5G cell service use the same frequencies and same towers.
yes, but not 4G, as there are specific bands for 4g rural internet cell service. There are cellular routers which can be specifically locked on certain bands where there is low usage, to avoid congestion rate reductions.

Here is a web page which explains all the different bands available to each cellular service provider.
A Guide to Cellular Frequency Bands Used by US Carriers

This offering is for people who don't want to be tethered to a land line, and who don't want the particular offerings of the tethered types. Also types who want to have a single internet account which travels with them to wherever they are located: here, iceandsnow land, etc. .

I was listening to one technology interview where they want to eliminate wires to the house, the last 100 feet, and just use a wide area wifi transmitter on the phone pole. The house then puts a receiver at the window with line of site (best) to the transmitter on the pole, and off and running.

Of course, there are introductory rates, as well as first mover advantages, but eventually all will converge into very similar prices depending upon the services purchased.

YMMV

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 04-25-2024 at 01:29 PM. Reason: added url link
Old 04-25-2024, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,074 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
When I tried TMobile Internet when it first came out, it connected to a tower on the Turnpike. Only worked in the one spot where we had line of sight to the tower.

The data rate would would drop dramatically during heavy traffic on the Turnpike.

They've added a lot of capacity to that tower since, may be worth trying again.

Does the Tmobile box have an input for an antenna?
The 5G technology is very particular about placement in the home if you do not have great cell coverage. There are two places in my father's home where it works. It is a little more flexible in my home here but still a bit particular. I can certainly imagine areas of the Villages where it would not work at all.

The maximum download rate varies throughout the day. I haven't noticed any weather fade but there is a lot of variation as the network gets busy. Still, I have never had a problem streaming 4K while also watching YouTubes or Tik-Toks. Users needing higher bandwidths might find TMobile 5G speeds unacceptable.

I do not see any input for an antenna.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-26-2024, 05:53 AM

Verizon cellular uses primarily CDMA technology while T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint use GSM. Not interchangeable. Reliable service while traveling is going to be a crapshoot because none of them provides service everywhere, especially if you are camping in mountainous areas. Check the coverage maps for the areas you primarily will be staying. Just be prepared for outages.
Old 04-26-2024, 06:31 AM
Default OTA internet

I have tried OTA 3x in three different houses with t-mobile. It was terrible at best no matter how many bars I saw. Wired is the only way to go
Old 04-26-2024, 06:31 AM

Quote:
The 5G technology is very particular about placement in the home if you do not have great cell coverage. There are two places in my father's home where it works. It is a little more flexible in my home here but still a bit particular. I can certainly imagine areas of the Villages where it would not work at all.

The maximum download rate varies throughout the day. I haven't noticed any weather fade but there is a lot of variation as the network gets busy. Still, I have never had a problem streaming 4K while also watching YouTubes or Tik-Toks. Users needing higher bandwidths might find TMobile 5G speeds unacceptable.

I do not see any input for an antenna.
I agree. We have TMobile internet here in Amelia. We originally got it in Indiana, so we just bring it with us when we come here for the winter. Works well in both places.

As you said, placement is key. You have to move it around to different windows to get the best signal.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

I believe that T-Mobile uses Verizon cell towers and not their "network". And the cell towers they use vary periodically depending on Verizon's cell traffic. A Verizon cell tower that T-Mobile uses this month may not be available for their use next month and they will change towers. What I don't know is if T-Mobile has their own towers also.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:49 AM
Sage

No. T-Mobile has their own network, as does Verizon and AT&T. I believe many of the towers are actually owned by 3rd parties and the cell companies rent space for their transmitters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I believe that T-Mobile uses Verizon cell towers and not their "network". And the cell towers they use vary periodically depending on Verizon's cell traffic. A Verizon cell tower that T-Mobile uses this month may not be available for their use next month and they will change towers. What I don't know is if T-Mobile has their own towers also.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
T-Mobile and Verizon have their own cellular networks, as does AT&T. There are several MVNOs that use these three networks. For home internet, if you have access to a reliable and inexpensive fiber or cable vendor, I'm not sure why you would go that route. For example, my fiber optic service is $30 per month.
There are many areas in TV where people only have one option (xfinity). When they jack up prices for existing customers, those customers are trapped. So they may very well try OTA solution to see if it works for them at a more reasonable price. Count yourself among the lucky who has access to fiber.

Tags
internet, cell, bars, ota, wired

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.