Old 03-29-2021, 08:59 AM

You could have made a video
I would have enjoyed that
Old 03-29-2021, 09:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I was out for the afternoon cart ride with the dog and we stopped by the pond next to the first green on Glenview’s Tally Ho course. I heard some yelling and someone from Glenview was telling two guys they could not fish the pond. The discussion became quite heated! One of the guys fishing threw down his pole and started going after the Glenview person. The fishermen’s buddy tried to stop him, and they got into a fight! The two guys got into their cart and drove across the grass onto the MMP without looking for oncoming traffic. They drove north for a few feet and the guy who was trying to fight said something like he wasn’t going to be told he couldn’t fish there and turned the cart around. Again I guess his buddy made him leave because they turned around again and headed north up the MMP.

A couple of observations and thoughts. I have seen people fishing this pond quite often. Also, if the pond is off limits to fishing, why doesn’t Glenview put up a couple of “No Fishing” signs?

Another interesting day in The Villages.
Why signs, with golf balls flying around who in there right mind would want to fish, besides if they allowed fishing who would be liable if someone got hit with a golf ball on a GOLF COURSE, the person fishing. It’s TV golf course & it’s up to them to allow fishing or not. To me it doesn’t make any sense to put up signs when it’s a golf course not a fishing hole. I don’t fish or play golf. All I’m saying is there’s lots of places to fish instead of making a golf course your private fishing hole!
Old 03-29-2021, 09:34 AM

MMP= Multimodal Path
PO= Your guess is as good as mine, lol.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:35 AM

All lakes can be fished in except any ponds “on the golf course”
Old 03-29-2021, 09:41 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roron123 View Post
All lakes can be fished in except any ponds “on the golf course”
It's really not that hard to find the correct info

• Fishermen may fish in
any lake, canal or stream,
whether natural or manmade, which can be reached
without crossing over
or trespassing upon any
privately owned property or
golf courses.

https://www.districtgov.org/departme...MapAndInfo.pdf

This link should be bookmarked by everyone, residents and the "other" people. It sure would answer a lot of questions before arguing here on TOTV

Village Community Development Districts

Last edited by stanley; 03-29-2021 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:04 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Mleeja;1922227]
A couple of observations and thoughts. I have seen people fishing this pond quite often. Also, if the pond is off limits to fishing, why doesn’t Glenview put up a couple of “No Fishing” signs?

Oh yeah, Great Idea! We should put up a couple of No Fishing sign at that tiny pond. Then we would need to put up No Fishing signs at every retention pond in The Villages. Or several at each pond to make sure it can be seen by everyone. If some pool of water didn't have a sign then the fishermen could say "There is no sign that says you can't fish". That's all we would need - ugly signs everywhere!
Old 03-29-2021, 10:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
There are a lot of crazies out there in our fine world, to PO someone for fishing in a pond isn't worth getting stabbed or shot over. Let them go, they most likely would not have come back. There are so many great fishing lakes very near to TV why someone would want to fish in these little retention ponds is beyond me, it's like fishing in a barrel.
Well gee,There you have it..
Old 03-29-2021, 11:48 AM

2021 0329 Monday @ 12:46
Pray tell, why would anyone want to fish in a pond that assuredly receives runoff from the golf course greens? The fertilizers, the pesticides, etc. surely would be enough of a deterrent.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:57 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
From Recreation & Parks Fishing Guidelines:

2. Fishermen may fish in any lake, canal or stream, whether natural or man-made, which can be reached without crossing over or trespassing upon any privately owned property or golf courses.

and

FISHABLE POND
Where can you fish: Along road (South) side of ponds
Two ponds on golf course cannot be fished

It looks like the Glenview person was correct. The pond next to the green on the north side of the entrance is one of the two ponds that cannot be fished due to being on the golf course.

It is easy to understand why this could be confusing. While "I've done it before and I've seen others doing it" doesn't change the rules, I hope the Glenview person at least tried to appreciate the possibility of a misunderstanding and approached the individual politely.
Seem to me EVERYONE involved in this could have handled it differently ! To quote Louisiana senator John Kennedy: "our nation has plenty of youth, what we NEED is a fountain of SMART" ! Glenview employee was probably doing what he/she was told to do and did not want to appear to not follow orders. The men fishing were probably older (?) than the employee, but obviously of the mind set so many here have: I have SEEN others doing it, therefore I will too ! Too bad, like so many confrontations I've seen in restaurants, at the pools, at the dog parks, at events and festivals.... 99% or more could easily be avoided with a "fountain of sense". This incident in one of those. A "no fishing" sign would be a BIG step toward prevention, but some will continue to argue of course. Personally, I have seen so many grandparents (I assume they are the grandparents) overseeing the children fishing there over the years I could not even estimate the large numbers. People are really on edge. Just this past weekend a relative who lives in the Hot Springs Villages (Arkansas) was sitting quietly in one of the dog parks when an argument broke out over the size of the dog of one individual and IF it met the qualification to be on the "small dog" side (no SCALE there for residents to weigh their pets to make sure they are under 40#). It got heated, very heated, and one pulled a GUN on the other ! No shooting but, enough to make my relative "re-think" about the dog park being some distance from the nearest police and how quickly things you never expect can develop !
Old 03-29-2021, 03:05 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
There are a lot of crazies out there in our fine world, to PO someone for fishing in a pond isn't worth getting stabbed or shot over. Let them go, they most likely would not have come back. There are so many great fishing lakes very near to TV why someone would want to fish in these little retention ponds is beyond me, it's like fishing in a barrel.
What wise wise words in an ever more dangerous world. Just posted an incident this past weekend about a relative who lives in the Villages of Hot Springs, just sitting in the dog park and a person had a GUN pulled on them in an argument over if a dog was a pound or two over, or under, the weight specified for the "small dog" side of the park. My relative didn't know if she should run, get under the bench (not much cover, but a flight thought), or just sit there and possibly get shot with stray bullets. Thankfully, the gun was only used to "intimidate", no shot was fired, but really.... people are crazy and everywhere, even in retirement resort communities like hers in Arkansas and ours in Florida.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
It is $240 and you can have a maximum of 4 people. You will catch fish and is catch and release.
I don't see the point of spending hours to catch fish that you have to throw back. What am I missing?

kathy
Old 03-29-2021, 06:59 PM
Platinum member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
There are far too many folks acting like police, of some nature, just can't wait to tell others what they can and can not do. So much for "America's Friendliest Hometown".
Sometimes it's not trying to tell them what they can't do.
It's just trying to keep them from getting into trouble.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
Sometimes it's not trying to tell them what they can't do.
It's just trying to keep them from getting into trouble.
If that were the case those "police types" would be kind, diplomatic and use the proper tone of voice, or "inflection". NOT what I have seen and heard. I believe what is happening here is "What comes round goes round", meaning, they, themselves have been rudely corrected for some sort of minor error. All said IMHO.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:05 AM

Country Club Courses are private property. No access unless playing paid for golf.
Executive courses belong to the District, access is allowed. On the other hand walking running biking on those course can only be done when golfers are not out there, not very common except after full darkness.
Closed Thread

Tags
pond, guys, fishing, glenview, cart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.