Am I the only one...

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2020, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpygreens View Post
I was traveling out of state when the hysteria hit. The young man in the seat behind me was coughing frequently during my 2 hour and 20 minute return flight. Maybe he had a cold, allergies, asthma, flu, or any of a hundred reasons that can cause a cough. Given our current situation, it would have been nice if I could get tested, but tests are in short supply and only given to those who have symptoms. I got back to TV at 7:00pm and had dinner with my wife at a restaurant in a town square. The next day, we went to do our weekly grocery shopping. In addition to paper towels, tp, and hand sanitizer, the store was out of about half the staples on our grocery list. We bought what we could, and the next day I went to two additional stores to find the items we still needed. I found everything except paper products and hand sanitizer. Because my wife is very concerned about our short supply of those items, I go to 4 to 6 stores a day to see if they've been restocked. So far no luck. I've been doing this for a week. I will do it again today. Yesterday I developed a cough. It's probably seasonal allergies, but I have no way of knowing for sure since I can't get tested without having other symptoms. Because I don't know my status, I've been very careful to keep my distance when outside talking to my neighbors. I try to keep my distance from people in the stores I visit, but sometimes they end up crowding me. If you shop at Publix, Winn-Dixie, WalMart, Sam's Club or Aldi, please don't get too close to me. I'm trying to keep you safe. I'm over 65 and have asthma so being around all those people puts me at risk too. It's been a week. Can you let go of your hysterics long enough to leave a package of Charmin and Bounty on the shelves so I can stay at home? It would be in both our best interests.
Please DM me with your address in the Villages and I will bring you a couple rolls of TP and a roll of paper towels, and if you need rubbing alcohol let me know that as well and have an empty CLEANED class container available for a couple of ounces of it; I will pour some off from my quart for you.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
That’s because those people have a ****ty outlook in life !!!!
Hahaha thanks for the laugh.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:36 AM
Default Hysteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
That thinks this mass hysteria is ridiculous? People panicking over TP. People buying guns and ammo.

Im shocked at TV...at our age we have gone thru worse. So many veterans here that went thru worse.

We have no kids here to protect and feed. But the entitled worry warts have cleaned out the stores.

Wait for two years and the news will have articles on the Year the World Went Nuts

Sorry...not buying it...scientists and politicians just love to control.
Curious as to whether this view is only believed by Fox News viewers?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:59 AM
Default Covid-19

1. Physicians in France are treating the most severe COVID-19 patients with symptoms with the anti malaria drug and a wide spectrum antibiotic. It's not a total cure but it also is not faux science.
2. For those who criticize the President for being optimistic, I am glad that you were not around during WWII. Imagine if we had pessimistic leaders during that difficult time. (We are all going to die! Let's give up.)

Last edited by skyking; 03-24-2020 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
1. Physicians in France are treating every COVID-19 patient with symptoms with the anti malaria drug and a wide spectrum antibiotic. It's not a total cure but it also is not faux science.
2. For those who criticize the President for being optimistic, I am glad that you were not around during WWII. Imagine if we had pessimistic leaders during that difficult time.
1. That is not true. They are experimenting and testing a small population with this combination, to learn whether or not it is a viable, practical treatment.

2. If we had pessimistic leaders during WWII, we might have participated earlier in the war, and ended it sooner.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
I really think it's time for all of us to get beyond the putdowns ... 'fox news viewers," 'cnn veiwers,' etc.

It is appropriate to ask however what's the balance between common sense preparedness and panic buying / hoarding?
Old 03-24-2020, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
1. Physicians in France are treating every COVID-19 patient with symptoms with the anti malaria drug and a wide spectrum antibiotic. It's not a total cure but it also is not faux science.
2. For those who criticize the President for being optimistic, I am glad that you were not around during WWII. Imagine if we had pessimistic leaders during that difficult time.
Please stop making up [lying] about this illness. I realize that you are just modeling behavior you see on TV, but perhaps you can do better than those examples.

Physicians in France are 100% absolutely NOT treating every Covid-19 patient with symptoms as you claimed. I'd love you to add links or citations when you bloviate.
Here is the actual situation:
A single report on a few patients with a control group showed a decreased the duration of viral shedding in the treated group. This was reported a few days ago. There was no data on severity of symptoms reported.

Here is what seems to be an accurate statement of the situation in France. You might note it is entirely different than your "alternative fact"

Quote:
he anti-malarial drug chloroquine can be administered in France to patients suffering from the severest forms of the coronavirus but only under strict supervision, Health Minister Olivier Veran said on Monday.
Citing a ruling adopted after a meeting of France's high public health council, Veran said the drug could not be used to treat milder cases of the illness.
Some researchers have said chloroquine shows great promise as a treatment, though scientists have agreed that more trials are needed to determine if the drug is really effective and safe.
"The high council recommends not to use this treatment... with the exception of grave cases, hospitalised, on the basis of a decision taken by doctors and under strict surveillance," Veran told reporters.
I apologize if this reply is harsh, but many posters have been so misinformed and posted such misleading lies that I am frustrated. And please don't try to characterize what is faux-science without learning what the scientific consensus might be. Hint: listen to Dr. Fauci not the person who speaks before him.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
1. That is not true. They are experimenting and testing a small population with this combination, to learn whether or not it is a viable, practical treatment.

2. If we had pessimistic leaders during WWII, we might have participated earlier in the war, and ended it sooner.
Regarding point #2, there is absolutely no basis to support either of those points. It took the Pearl Harbor attack to generate a consensus amongst the right wing American Firsters and left wing pacifists. There's also some evidence FDR was aware the attack would happen which, if true, was exactly what was needed in the broader scheme of things.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Please DM me with your address in the Villages and I will bring you a couple rolls of TP and a roll of paper towels, and if you need rubbing alcohol let me know that as well and have an empty CLEANED class container available for a couple of ounces of it; I will pour some off from my quart for you.
Very nice of you to do this. Setting a positive example for others
Old 03-24-2020, 11:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Don’t agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
What I was trying to say that if the Chinese wanted to develop biological war fare they would have done so much better than the coronavirus. This is a pretty pathetic and difficult to manipulate “weapon”.
The ONLY country that will emerge from this stronger economically is China, they already have their manufacturing almost back up at full capacity and the economic downturn that is hitting all the western countries is huge - China will emerge from this as a far stronger nation economically, whilst every other country will be very significantly poorer - sadly, I believe that this is not the last of these types of viruses we will be seeing 👿👿 their government doesn’t care if there are a few thousand Chinese casualties to achieve their aim of world domination - sorry to sound paranoid, but the more I see of what is happening around the world, the more convinced I am that China is at the bottom of a very real threat to the world economy for their own benefit 👿👿
Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
Maybe, but that's because the sky has already fallen on MSNBC viewers
Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 AM

They are doing more than research.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

how about setting aside the carping and slamming and stick to the serious subject at hand.

Amazing how some just cannot set differences aside and respect others views......when all gets said and done it amounts about as much as picking fly $hit out of pepper!
Old 03-24-2020, 11:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I think pointing out the conflicting messages being sent is very valid.

Adding confusion to fear and anxiety is not a good thing.

Everyone should call out those who are simply twisting information to serve another purpose no matter who those people are.

As someone who is a bit "nerdy" about factual information, I think two things, especially in the current situation.

1. Make sure you are not simply sharing an opinion, not based on anything other than anecdotal backup.

2. Everyone who shares "info" on here should allow a link so others can validate, in their mind, the validity.
I agree with your points, in particular providing links where possible so other can gauge their accuracy. We also need to, at the same time and when it comes up, disagree without being disagreeable. Casual, pointless and gratuitous insults (ie calling someone a "liar") are harmful not helpful.
Old 03-24-2020, 11:32 AM

This is the site I've been using to monitor the number of cases....it was 200,000 on Thursday, it just topped 400,000 today. That's doubling in 5 days.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 401,013 Cases and 17,480 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer
Closed Thread

Tags
buying, people, worse, cleaned, warts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.