Am I the only one...

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #256  
Old 03-27-2020, 04:57 PM
TexaninVA's Avatar
TexaninVA TexaninVA is online now
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Largo
Posts: 2,631
Thanks: 286
Thanked 563 Times in 224 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiganne View Post
Yep. The people with the highest risks are still doing daily shopping ...
Yes, I've noticed that too. Am aware of a person in late 70s who almost never washes hands, typically still goes out to various public places 3-4x a day, and has two significant underlying health conditions.

I just don't get it ...
  #257  
Old 03-27-2020, 05:00 PM
Bucco Bucco is online now
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,574
Thanks: 20
Thanked 263 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
And we sat on our hands for two months...….Oh your source forgot to mention that.
That fact, and others has been ignored....certainly on this forum.

It is, however, a recorded historical fact and part of intelligence reports.

It's sad.....the part where you even have to mention that.
  #258  
Old 03-27-2020, 05:10 PM
TexaninVA's Avatar
TexaninVA TexaninVA is online now
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Largo
Posts: 2,631
Thanks: 286
Thanked 563 Times in 224 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
That fact, and others has been ignored....certainly on this forum.

It is, however, a recorded historical fact and part of intelligence reports.

It's sad.....the part where you even have to mention that.
We'll have plenty of time for the after action reports and post postmortems. Certain federal, state and local leaders should have responded sooner. Some politicians and media people made comments in February that don't look so great a month later. Etc, etc.

But, for right now, we need to focus on getting through. I think most people agree with that.
  #259  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:31 PM
Villageswimmer Villageswimmer is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,652
Thanks: 2
Thanked 346 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiganne View Post
Yep. The people with the highest risks are still doing daily shopping. Why most of the food will go to waste. The most humorous part of this whole thing is watching people in TV panicking because now they have to cook.

Really? I have yet to see “people in TV panicking because now they have to cook.” Where is this happening?
I think this “panicking” stuff is greatly overstated to fit the agenda of the cavalier deniers who finally are forced to face reality.
  #260  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:54 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 37,579
Thanks: 1,970
Thanked 1,396 Times in 556 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

[QUOTE=perrjojo;1731807]No, you are not the only one and that is why the virus continues to spread.[/QUOTE

As usual, I agree with this poster.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #261  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:56 PM
DianeM DianeM is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,565
Thanks: 1,052
Thanked 845 Times in 254 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
The basis for this statement is my best judgment and assessment.

Let’s say hypothetically the medical authorities determine zero risk of coronavirus is achieved by everyone staying housebound for one year. The problem is, if this is done nationally in all locations, the economy stops, goods eventually become scare, people run out of essentials and so forth. Medications become hard to get along with food. Older people start to get sick and die.

As food runs out, people, probably starting in ethnically diverse neighborhoods in the large cities, start to pillage and then eventually riot. Civil disorder would then ensue.

By the way, this is why many people do in fact have numerous firearms and ammo etc stockpiled. This is often laughed at by those who consider themselves more sophisticated and tend to favor strict gun restrictions. There may be a change of opinion, over time by some, on this issue.

In any event, at some point (and that’s the tough part … which point) we have to get back to business.
I agree with you 100%. And when society goes totally down the drain, what good will the hoarded goods do? Only thing that will work needs to be loaded and carried at all times.
  #262  
Old 03-28-2020, 07:10 AM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,145
Thanks: 2
Thanked 783 Times in 402 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
I agree with you 100%. And when society goes totally down the drain, what good will the hoarded goods do? Only thing that will work needs to be loaded and carried at all times.
Sad.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #263  
Old 03-28-2020, 07:20 AM
Klatu Klatu is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 31
Thanks: 3
Thanked 69 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Is there exaggeration? Yes.
Are some politicians playing this issue for power? Yes.
Is media hysterical in some cases, and duplicitous? Yes.
Is there a real public health issue? Yes.
Is it helpful to downplay the issue and not take seriously the guidelines that might save your life or the lives of others? No.
Are all Villagers observing the guidelines? No.
Are responsible Villagers trying to keep themselves and others safe by observing guidelines? Yes.
  #264  
Old 03-28-2020, 07:25 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 37,579
Thanks: 1,970
Thanked 1,396 Times in 556 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
I sure hope you're right but outbreaks worsen exponentially and we're in the early stages.

There are 5 ways this can play out

-virus "just dies out" like influenza....possible but certainly isn't happening yet
-vaccine or cure is developed.....looking at a year, maybe more
-eradication...like polio (of course, we had a vaccine in the fight v polio)
-most of the population gets over a long timeframe so as to not overwhelm our healthcare
-or....most of the population gets it all at once and we end up like Italy <-avoid this!!

It's a fact that the death rate is higher in older people and...... we're living in geezer central, right?

If only 1/2 of us in TV get it and if only 2% die that's still 5000 of us buying the farm in the next few months.

Like I said, I hope you're right and this is an overreaction but, personally, I'm taking it seriously.
Well said.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #265  
Old 03-28-2020, 08:29 AM
Chi-Town's Avatar
Chi-Town Chi-Town is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,279
Thanks: 12
Thanked 232 Times in 128 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
The basis for this statement is my best judgment and assessment.

Let’s say hypothetically the medical authorities determine zero risk of coronavirus is achieved by everyone staying housebound for one year. The problem is, if this is done nationally in all locations, the economy stops, goods eventually become scare, people run out of essentials and so forth. Medications become hard to get along with food. Older people start to get sick and die.

As food runs out, people, probably starting in ethnically diverse neighborhoods in the large cities, start to pillage and then eventually riot. Civil disorder would then ensue.

By the way, this is why many people do in fact have numerous firearms and ammo etc stockpiled. This is often laughed at by those who consider themselves more sophisticated and tend to favor strict gun restrictions. There may be a change of opinion, over time by some, on this issue.

In any event, at some point (and that’s the tough part … which point) we have to get back to business.
You just watched Contagion, didn't you
  #266  
Old 03-28-2020, 08:33 AM
TexaninVA's Avatar
TexaninVA TexaninVA is online now
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Village of Largo
Posts: 2,631
Thanks: 286
Thanked 563 Times in 224 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
You just watched Contagion, didn't you
Actually no.

I've simply tried to consistently apply common sense over most of my life ... ie, after I completed my teenage years at least.
Reply

Tags
buying, people, worse, cleaned, warts

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:04 PM.