Lawn soil preparation

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Gold member
Default Lawn soil preparation

Does the developer plant the lawn before you accept a new home? I am concerned that the sandy soil will not support a healthy lawn without constantly adding fertilizer and lots of water. Is there an opportunity to add topsoil and compost prior to the grass being planted?
Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Growing grass on a sand dune is very expensive!!

Once it grows then the expense continues to keep it fed...sand does not have nor hold nutrients...then watering...to keep it the way you liked it up north will take lots and lots of water = more $$$.

If I had to do over again I would have no grass...a lot of rock...cold hardy and low maintenance plants..and several cold hardy trees.

As a result of the last two winters I am slowly accomplishing the goal as the non cold hardy stuff dies, I am replacing as above...including large areas of grass that has been hurt by the cold.

Good luck

btk
Old 03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Veteran member

The developer levels the sandy soil and sods. Nothing is added to the soil. The bushes that are planted are usually hearty for our climate. I have my irrigation system set to water 2 times during the starting March 1 and ending sometime in Oct. The lawn needs to be fertilized by you or by one of the many companies that do that sort of thing. The week you close on a new home you will have many people offer their service.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

From what I hve been told, sandy soil is not bad for the Zoyzia grass they use here in The Villages. Sandy soil allows the grass/soil to "leech'....meaning when you get heavy rains (3-5 inches in a rain storm is not uncommon) the water will not pool. Grass in the Villages will grow just fine without topsoil but it does need to be watered and fertilized
Old 03-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Definition of top soil in Florida......sand.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Definition of top soil in Florida......sand.
......though it is a high quality sand!

Amazing to me that anything will grow in sand.....but it does!

Bill
Old 03-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Sage

You could drop a chunk of sod on your driveway, and with enough chemicals and water, it would grow
Old 03-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Gold member

Thanks for all your responses. Looks like I will need to tear out the whole lawn and sprinklers to get the soil mixture corrected. Sand is part of the composition of good soil but too much means you need to fertilize and water much more. Just enough sand to ensure proper drainage will solve the ponding problems. A good mixture of topsoil will hold water longer and provide food for the grass and plants.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:03 PM

Our lot on Graves Pl. in Buttonwood is pure sand like on the beach. We asked our Rep. if they do any black dirt and he said no they just put the sod down. Yea, I don't know how anything would grow on that.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
Thanks for all your responses. Looks like I will need to tear out the whole lawn and sprinklers to get the soil mixture corrected. Sand is part of the composition of good soil but too much means you need to fertilize and water much more. Just enough sand to ensure proper drainage will solve the ponding problems. A good mixture of topsoil will hold water longer and provide food for the grass and plants.
Let us know where you find the the topsoil.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.