Amenity fees

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2019, 01:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by realmoxies View Post
So the contract I signed that placed the cap is going to go away?

Doesn't seem right.
If you have read your deed restrictions you will see that there is no "cap" given. What is given is that the fee you pay will be the prevailing rate at the time of purchase and that this rate is subject to a CPI increase annually.

In 2010 the AAC and in 2012 the SLCDD agreed to limit increases to $155 in an effort to get the varied rates being paid to be as close to equal as possible. This agreement was for 1 year and was to be reviewed annually to determine if it should remain in place or be discontinued based on financial conditions. These agreements are what is known as the "Deferral Rate". They are not a contract requirement of any amenity agreement with any resident.

As of today's joint meeting of the AAC and PWAC approximately 65% of the homes between 466 and 44 are at the $155 rate with the remainder projected to be at this rate in the next 2 years. North of 466 all but approximately 120 homes are now at a monthly rate between $140 and $155, the remaining 120 homes are less than $140. The "deferral rate" has accomplished it goal and we are now at the point of the unintended consequences of this limitation is impacting the budgets.

Assuming that SLCDD will follow the recommendations of the PWAC, and there is no reason to consider they won't, then starting on 1 October 2019 all amenities contracts will be subject to annual CPI increases, exactly as stated in your contract/deed restrictions and that you agreed to when you purchased your home..

Regardless of what the real estate person told you when you purchased your home, there is no guarantee or contract limitation on what the amenity fee is. If it's not written on a signed document during closing, it has no standing. The limits imposed on increases are the CPI annual adjustment (up or down).
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 04-15-2019, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes76 View Post
The POA just put information about this same issue. Join the POA and attend their meetings will get you more informed.
Can read it all on their web site.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Can read it all on their web site.
Agree 100%- the POA has always looked out for the residents- unlike the HOA which cow tows to the developer. From the lawsuit settlement of some $40 mil by mostly POA organizers, to most issues affecting us, the POA has spoken out loudly and spent much on needed professionals to support their opinions.
I personally have been a member since moving to TV 16 years ago and have always supported them. Hopefully, all new Villagers will join that outstanding organization before the sales dept hoodwinks them into only joining the HOA.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patbbb View Post
For those who say if you're unhappy move, I say you miss the point by a long shot.
What is "the point" that I am missing?

As far as we are concerned, "the point" is for my wife and I to enjoy every day of our lives as best we can. The Villages is a great place for us to do that.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 PM

Anyone who says you can go to other retirement communities and get what we have for $155 a month is living in a dream world. As someone that went from Arizona to Florida & everywhere in between, looking at trailer parks to timeshare condominiums, there is not anywhere close to The Villages. It is not perfect but a better job is done by the people here than 90% of the towns, cities and municipalities in this country. As far as too big, too crowed, etc, that is called progress and growth. If every company or entrepreneur stopped their company when they had enough money, I dare say half the people in the world would be in a whole lot of trouble!!! Truly if you are not happy with your situation, CHANGE IT! You are free in this country to make your way in any means or place you would like. The reality is prices go up and if you want something in the future it will more than likely cost more.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
What is "the point" that I am missing?

As far as we are concerned, "the point" is for my wife and I to enjoy every day of our lives as best we can. The Villages is a great place for us to do that.
Strongly suggest you read the entire post, especially the 2nd paragraph, not just the last line. While most of us Villagers enjoy our lives here and don't deny its wonders, it has grown exponentially- mostly for the developer's benefit, not the residents. Under the original developer, Harold Schwarz, the residents were no. 1 and that's why we brought our old neighbors and friends here. Sadly, money comes 1st for the developer who refuses to step in and rectify problems he created (roofs, siding, bridge abutments. inadequate multimodal trails, etc. The growth and excess spending by the CDDs is almost unbelievable, often due to poor planning or inadequate building construction. Like most governments, they know how to spend and don't pay enough attention to reducing expenditures which we get stuck paying for.

Other than the POA, no one is looking out for the residents.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

So I keep reading the figure up to $155. I am paying $159. I have no issue with that just wondering if others are paying $159. I live up north off 42 and just bought in March.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:46 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default amenity fees

Quote:
Definitely YES! While TV is a wonderful place to retire, many similar communities include lawn maintenance, gym membership, woodworking facilities, etc., etc. in their monthly fees. Also most don't have the bonds and annual fees we have to pay to each CDD district. Many residents live on fixed incomes and were misled re the fees they're obligated to pay.

For those who say if you're unhappy move, I say you miss the point by a long shot.
If anyone moved here and expected the amenity fees to remain the same for the life of their stay in The Villages, they weren't misled, they were living in a dream world. And yes, if you;re that unhappy, then don't let the tailgate hit you on your way out..
Old 04-15-2019, 04:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
So I keep reading the figure up to $155. I am paying $159. I have no issue with that just wondering if others are paying $159. I live up north off 42 and just bought in March.
Effective 1 October 2018 the prevailing rate for all new home and resales was increased to $159 for homes sold after this date. There is no CPI adjustment being applied to the $159 because it is at or above the current deferral rate of $155.

On 1 October 2019 the "deferral rate" will end and subsequently on the anniversary of you home sale the amenity rate will be adjusted by the amount of the CPI that month for the previous 12 months. This is in accordance with the deed restrictions contract we all agreed to when we purchased.

So yes, because you purchased in March, be it new or a resale, the correct amenity rate is $159. In March of next year you will see an increase based on the CPI, which for the last few years has run 1.5-2% annually. Everyone else who purchased after 1 October 2018 are also paying the $159 rate.
www.goldwingnut.com
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 04-15-2019, 04:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Agree 100%- the POA has always looked out for the residents- unlike the HOA which cow tows to the developer. From the lawsuit settlement of some $40 mil by mostly POA organizers, to most issues affecting us, the POA has spoken out loudly and spent much on needed professionals to support their opinions.
I personally have been a member since moving to TV 16 years ago and have always supported them. Hopefully, all new Villagers will join that outstanding organization before the sales dept hoodwinks them into only joining the HOA.
I couldn't agree more and in case you missed it.....

Thank Goodness For The POA (click here to show your support)

As for the amenity fees, if anyone is truly having issues with the piddly potential increase...I'm thinking you may want to find somewhere that's less expensive to live.

Because let's face it, living in TV really is...on the high end for the house/land that you actually get.

And I don't mean that to sound uncaring, because it certainly isn't, and if anyone is living on that tight of a budget...my empathy goes out to you.

If even an extra $20-$30 a month will make that big of a difference for someone's situation...then I truly hope nothing ever happens to your roof/lawn/sprinklers/siding/etc.

The good news being of course, is that at least you own an asset...that is pretty easy to sell.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Strongly suggest you read the entire post, especially the 2nd paragraph, not just the last line. While most of us Villagers enjoy our lives here and don't deny its wonders, it has grown exponentially- mostly for the developer's benefit, not the residents. Under the original developer, Harold Schwarz, the residents were no. 1 and that's why we brought our old neighbors and friends here. Sadly, money comes 1st for the developer who refuses to step in and rectify problems he created (roofs, siding, bridge abutments. inadequate multimodal trails, etc. The growth and excess spending by the CDDs is almost unbelievable, often due to poor planning or inadequate building construction. Like most governments, they know how to spend and don't pay enough attention to reducing expenditures which we get stuck paying for.

Other than the POA, no one is looking out for the residents.

From discussions I have had with residents have been here for a long time, they remember the days when they had to go to Ocala and Leesburg to shop for groceries and when 466 was a dirt road. They embrace the growth because it brought shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc. We embrace the growth because it will bring more of all that and more amenities. One thing I will ask is where have you bought property that had more than a one year warranty? And what other Developer accepted a punch list at the end of the year and fixed everything on the list. As I have often said, this place isn't for everyone, but it is for the majority that live here. If it wasn't it would be a ghost town and nobody would move here......incoming exceeds outgoing but that doesn't mean that those that move out aren't doing that for any reason other than it doesn't work for them anymore. And that's not a bad thing.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 PM

You are right on. Our district eliminated the $150 cap so now they are free to increase the fee year after year and as much as they like We elect these people who are making these decisions. Time to vote them out. We need officials who fight for cost reduction and homeowners
Anyone can raise fees and taxes to pay for increases they face. Let’s see the budget line by line I’m with you. Michael
Old 04-15-2019, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjsscotto View Post
You are right on. Our district eliminated the $150 cap so now they are free to increase the fee year after year and as much as they like We elect these people who are making these decisions. Time to vote them out. We need officials who fight for cost reduction and homeowners
Anyone can raise fees and taxes to pay for increases they face. Let’s see the budget line by line I’m with you. Michael
Noooo, they can only raise by the CPI and the line item budget is available....how did you miss that on this thread?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-15-2019, 08:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjsscotto View Post
You are grossly misinformed. The amenity rate can only be increased a maximum of the CPI increase for the previous 12 months. It does not have to be increased that much if the budgetary needs do not require it.

The budget is available for everyone to see and you can participate in the annual budgeting process over the course of the next few months at the monthly CDD, PWAC, and AAC meetings.

You obviously have never been to any of the local government meetings, if you had you would see that the elected supervisors and the District staff are constantly pushing for cost controls, reductions in cost, and greater efficiencies to control costs.

Digital courage is cheap, come to the meetings, get involved, and run for office if you think you can do a better job. Most of all, get educated on the topic before making such rash and irresponsible statements.

If you want to see an example of effective budgetary controls take a look at the maintenance budget for CDD-10 for the last 5 years. During this time maintenance assessments have decreased by 3% and capital reserves have increased by a million dollars. This requires a tremendous amount of work and effort by all involved in the process to achieve. Your supervisors are working for you, continuously.
www.goldwingnut.com
Old 04-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

I don't live in The Villages yet, but I think the Amenity fee is very reasonable and I would expect them to go up over time. The prices of things don't stay static, I wouldn't expect the fees to remain so either.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
years, budget, million, raise, item

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.